• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

Sleeping pad?

Reaction score
Hi folks. On your canoe trips do you take a thick pad like the megamat expad makes or more of a back packing type pad? Trying to get practical info on actual use in the woods. Thanks

Well, until my last trip I took a Synmat 5 - under a pound iirc and just the size of a 1 litre nalgene. Bought for backpacking.

Last trip I took my exped dlx9. Age and back pain and a one portage trip.

Definitely use an inflatable insulated mat. Almost 50 yrs ago I used 3/8" ensolite pads then switched to AirLift inflatable mats, next to Thermarest pads (which I still have four of - grandkids use these) and now using NeoAir and Big Agnes inflatable pads which are definitely the best yet. They allow me to float over those annoying rocks and roots - very comfortable.

Last edited:
I canoe trip much like I do light weight camping. So its a foam therma rest. In my sea line water proof pack, its a back pad. Kind of gives structure to the pack. Also I figure there is buoyancy in it to off set dead weight in that pack??? Usually canoe in camp sites, are less flat or more bumpy, than trail hiking sites. The foam is skimpy for sure, lately I've been thinking of adding an inflatable pad, but don't want the extra hassel of a blow up bag. Any ideas?? All of my tripping is in the adk's 1-5 days.

I always viewed the inflating of the NeoAir or BA pads as a bit of an aerobic workout. Usually they require about 30-32 deep puffs, which has never been a problem for me.

I use an air mattress, which was something like a lower cost version of the NeoAir. It's very light and packs down much smaller than a foam pad or foam/air pad.

I use a Thermarest Mondo, it's big, it's thick, it's heavy.......it's great!

I generally don't paddle where there are lots of portages and usually they are fairly short. I do some trips with one or two long portages but that is generally on routes that take a month or more to complete. Even for a short trip I'd rather lug a monster sleeping pad than try to sleep on a compact one (did that back in the day when ANY pad was a luxury).

, but don't want the extra hassel of a blow up bag
Exped has a Schnozzel, an air bag that inflated their pads. I think I've seen an aftermarket for inflating other pads. My large Exped takes 6 or so bags of air, my back pack pad just 3, and my pillow just 1. And never having blown into the pads I feel they are better off for none of the inevitable spit. I can only guess the down and synthetic fill in them is better off for less humidity.

I see they also now make a battery pump that is 6.7 ounces, and a foot pump.

With my wife, we take a Klymit insulated Static V double. One uses the storage bag to inflate it. I make sure to pack a repair kit because - similar to rain gear - if you pack it you'll never need it. For solo I switch to a hammock - packs about the same as a solo tent/sleep system and no inflatable pad to worry about. I sleep about as well as I do on the ground, but it's no game changer for me.

It depends. If I were doing a northwoods canoe camping trip involving multiple portages where packed size and weight were important, I would take my inflatable Exped pad.

If packed size and weight are not a big concern, such as on the downriver trips I am more likely to do now, I take a Paco Pad by Jacks Plastic Welding. These are very tough and you can put them right down on a gravel bar without worries. And it doesn't matter if they get wet, you just wipe them off. But they are significantly heavier and don't pack down very small.

i have an original style thermarest that has held stong for more than 20 years now. Acutally I have severall of them, some short, some tapered, some full length. Unless the I am camping in cold days in shoulder seasons or winter I carry a 3-4 season tent, otherwise I am a summer hammock hanger camping tripper, so I don't need extra padding to be comfortable, only the slight insulation value of a thin light thermarest in my hammock.

Last edited:
I had about four Thermarest foam, allegedly self inflating, mats that all leaked along the side seams after a few years. I switched to the NeoAir about ten years ago. I was sure it, too, would leave me sleeping on the ground one night, but the NeoAir keeps on delivering comfort after about two hundred uses.

Thermarest made a little pump for the NeoAir that runs on two AAA batteries. Mine weighs 2.6 oz, including batteries, and the batteries last a long time. You still need to top it off with a couple puffs of breath, but it slowly (5 or 10 minutes) does most of the work. Start it while doing other camp chores and then top it off with a few puffs. The spare NeoAir I bought came with its version of a schnoozle bag. Nice, but I prefer the pump.
IMG_8185.jpeg

Neoair for me. Very comfortable, very light, very small. The huffing and puffing doesn't bother me much. The better shape I'm in the easier it is to inflate. It's been a long time since I could comfortably sleep on a foam pad and they're way too bulky for packing.

Alan

I have a Neo-Air and another thick air pad (sorry, don't remember the company off hand) and found both to be uncomfortable for me. Even with trying to upgrade my sleeping pad, I still come back to my old Therma-Rest Pro-lite 4 for most of my trips. I have a full length pad and 3/4 one. Both get used throughout the year depending on what it is I'm doing. For winter I just add a closed cell foam pad under the Pro-lite 4 and I'm usually good to go.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

I used to use a Paco pad and liked except for the bulk, weight and difficulty to pack it. Switched to a Big Agnes Q Core inflatable a couple of years ago and love it. Very lightweight and also about the size of a Nalgene bottle. Inflates.using an air bag- no blowing required. It is very comfortable for my 76 year old body, even on bumpy ground. It is a little noisier than a Paco or Thermarest. Best pad I have ever had.

I hammock camp shoulder seasons and use a thermarest under me for warmth. I have to double port no matter what, so a little more weight isn't an issue.

I have used a Thermarest foam pad that you blow up for years, even winter camping in below 0°F temps. This year I bought my wife a Nemo insulated pad that you blow up with the included pump sack (no huffing and puffing). It packs down to the size of a nalgene bottle. I liked it so much I got myself and Exped Dura5R. 3 pump bags and it's inflated to about 4" thick. Not blowing moist breath into the pad has to be a huge help with warmth. The Exped is slightly heavier and more bulk in the pack than my wifes Nemo, but it's worth it to me and is still smaller than my old Thermarest.

I moved from a closed cell pad to a self inflating Thermarest, and finally to an inflating NeoAir. This last mattress was second hand and in excellent condition, but it lacked the inflating bag and nipple, so I just puffed to inflate. Lately I have been using an inexpensive little rechargeable unit to inflate and deflate the air mattresses with no issues so far. This past season was the first I tried an inflatable pillow. Seemed an unnecessary gimmick, until I used it. No more lumpy PFDs and clothing pillows. Like the mattress it deflates down to almost nothing and inflates easily. These 2 items might've moved me into the glamping bracket, but my body is thanking me for it.

I have a Neo-Air and another thick air pad (sorry, don't remember the company off hand) and found both to be uncomfortable for me.
I'm curious in what way you found them uncomfortable.
If I over or under inflate mine I find them uncomfortable. For me I get the best comfort by inflating them fully (which is too firm and uncomfortable) and then, while laying on my side, I open the valve and let out air until my shoulder almost touches the ground.

Alan

It is often said that you don't have to count ounces when canoe tripping versus backpacking. That is true until you hit the portage trail. As a compromise, we use insulated Nemo inflatable pads with an integrated pump. I think the model is now discontinued. The key is to inflate it just right to a point where your pelvis just barely doesn't touch the ground anymore. It's worth spending the extra bucks for the insulation even if you trip mainly during the summer months.

Back