• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Pearl

Have you even seen a bulkhead (or flotation chamber) with horizontal strips?
I have, eeeww!! As much as I say performance over aesthetics, that's where I draw the line...

Jim, I'm sure you have a left over panel somewhere, cut up a sample chamber with horizontal strips and see if you're as repulsed as I was.

I will next week ! If they don't look good. Next time, I'll try steaming.

jim

Wow ! It's been 4 months since I've posted anything about Pearl ! Sorry !

Trim is done, and just finished with Spar Varnishing the outside.

I used Varathane's Spar Varnish, on this hull, Comparing it to Helmsman's, looking at it in the open can. Helmsman appears to be more gray, and Varathane more brown.
The Varathane went on nicely. I applied two coats, 4 hrs apart, waited 24 hrs, and gave it a good sanding with 320grit.
Then put on a finish coat. This is how it looks.

IMG_2522_zpssczwwghl.jpg

IMG_2522_zpssczwwghl.jpg
IMG_2522_zpssczwwghl.jpg

Looking good!

What happened with the flotation chambers?

Jim,

looks great!

So are you going to sell one of your 3 pearls once this one and the composite one are done?

Looking good!

What happened with the flotation chambers?

kolo

I resorted to my old tried and true, paddle shaped insert.

IMG_2281_zpsmfixpzfl.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2281_zpsmfixpzfl.jpg Views:	1 Size:	117.3 KB ID:	83667

Next strip build, will get a curved chamber ! I didn't like the look of the horizontal stripping pattern ! So back to the drawing board !

Jim

Last edited:
Jim,

looks great!

So are you going to sell one of your 3 pearls once this one and the composite one are done?

Thanks !

Boy ! I really should ! I really need to Draft a volunteer ! It's hard to let one go ! ( I know ! That's what Horders say !)

One of these days !

I would love to head down that way for a paddle. I am nearly done with my solo build. I would also enjoy testing out some of the different designs you have built over the years. Maybe that will help inspire me as to what design I should build next...It would appear that my next build will not be a canoe, but a SUP for the boss! She has a friend who just got one and then realized what they cost...WOW! Sticker shock! Much the same as building your own canoe, the cost isn't so bad to build your own, it's the time invested.

I will have to talk to the boss and see when I might be able to make it down your way soon if you happen to have any free weekend time coming up!

Jim, if you are running out of space for boats, I have an Idea.I could never afford to offer you anything approaching the the value of one of your canoes and I would not insult you by making an offer I could afford. I can offer storage space that would allow you to keep one or more boats pre-staged for explorations in the Rocky Mountain region. I would even offer to take them out to test their suitability for any lakes or rivers you wanted to paddle.

Jim, if you are running out of space for boats, I have an Idea.I could never afford to offer you anything approaching the the value of one of your canoes and I would not insult you by making an offer I could afford. I can offer storage space that would allow you to keep one or more boats pre-staged for explorations in the Rocky Mountain region. I would even offer to take them out to test their suitability for any lakes or rivers you wanted to paddle.

Tempting !

Where my Sister lives, near Denver, storage is at a Premium. What places do you have to paddle near by ?

Jim

I would love to head down that way for a paddle. I am nearly done with my solo build. I would also enjoy testing out some of the different designs you have built over the years. Maybe that will help inspire me as to what design I should build next...It would appear that my next build will not be a canoe, but a SUP for the boss! She has a friend who just got one and then realized what they cost...WOW! Sticker shock! Much the same as building your own canoe, the cost isn't so bad to build your own, it's the time invested.

I will have to talk to the boss and see when I might be able to make it down your way soon if you happen to have any free weekend time coming up!

Being retired ? You would think every weekend is available to do what YOU want, I gave up that Dream, soon after retiring !
If I plan too far in advance, something gets in the way ! Usually a week notice works !

I'd be more than happy to break out a few, for a test paddle !!

Jim

Back