• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

PC Y-Stern

I think in this case a keel is a good thing. In my dreams I have an 18' square stern Chestnut just moving along with my 5 hp kicker about a hundred yards off shore and like Memaquay I hit a rock...

Took some time this morning to remove the ex-photobucket photos and replace them in a close to original order. We are coming close to conclusion on this project. The new beefier transom is on. One outwale is on the other should be done this weekend. Then there is paint. Might just make the Christmas deadline.

Almost done...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Almost .001.jpg Views:	1 Size:	393.8 KB ID:	74428

Beefier transom, the original was 3/8 ply untreated, the new is 3/4 stained and varnished. I used construction adhesive to seal all the edges, same as with the keel.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Beefy.jpg Views:	1 Size:	273.2 KB ID:	74429

Being a home built one off for the purpose of moose hunting, this one is a bit deeper than most I would think. From the thwart behind the bow seat it is 13 1/2" deep.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Deep.jpg Views:	1 Size:	205.8 KB ID:	74430

Karin

Looking really good. Can't wait for the paint job. But I see one little problem. It won't fit under my tree. And that's iF Santa can get it in the front door.
With Christmas hopes thoroughly dashed, I excitedly await the final colour. BTW. Do you plan to test drive this beauty?

A lot of work on an interesting canoe. I'm not familiar with using them. What is the structural or functional purpose of the thwart behind the stern seat?

What is the structural or functional purpose of the thwart behind the stern seat?
I'm guessing that other than beefing up support along the gunwales for the motor, it's for attaching ropes for towing and stuff. I think I will do something similar to mine, I really miss having a stern rope for towing, anchoring, lashing to trees, pulling a dead unicorn out of shallow water, that kind of thing.

A nice Maiden voyage would be at the Kap bridge, going downstream, dare to dream!

The light blue is the finish colour, it will just be gloss to show all the wonky hull issues. As much as we like semi gloss and flat finishes, they don't clean up, so it has to be gloss.

As fur as I know this is a keeper. Definitely up for a motor down the Kap to the Esker Hilton and Stone Lake. I'll just bring my Jack's too since I cannot get enough seat time in it.

One more down, four to go. This should be a keeper though, I can see me having no end of fun with it. Karin will be adding dark blue striping to it for me in the spring. For now we need to get cracking on a customers boat that promises to be an interesting challenge. Film at 11.00.

Glenn....the thwart is just a convenient place to pick it up. There was one installed so we kept it. I may make a seat back to slip in there. I am not super confident on the ability of the seats to take a load so we shall see if that needs changing later.

Christy

That's just right, some wanningans, cots, wall tent, wood stove, chain saw, gas, a nice little motor on the back, a dog or two, maybe a spray cover for big waves on the big lake. Stand up fly fishing for trout or whatever.....
Boy, that's a nice rig.

And at 16.5 feet just handy enough to manage. Basically a Y stern prospector, which is what I suspect they used for the form to build this one.

I have had those same thoughts running through my head since I made the deal on it last year Robin. Canadian Tire is selling those portable garages for a couple of hundred dollars ...would make a nice fall season tent ( 6x6x6). Or just slap a frame together and bring some tarpage. This is the future, I am getting to it a little earlier than you is all.

Very nice! I'm wondering if a regular short shaft motor will be long enough for that mount. Boy, we be bad arse, Pirates of the Kap. If you come up this way and don't have a motor by this summer, I might be able to hook you up with a loaner.

Christine and Rob, Suzuki now sells a long shaft version of that well reviewed 2.5 hp 4 stroke.

Tell you what Rob, I'll go out and measure it once it warms up a bit. Extreme wind chill warning in effect, low -40s F the next few days.

Back