• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Cast Your Vote for Blade Finish in Knife Build FUNdraiser

I agree Alan, I think BWCA is having knife identity issues. His Freudian slip about the brightly shining blade shows that he is merely being coerced by peer pressure. Break the bonds of servitude BWCA! Live your own life, paddle against the current, and for God's sake vote Mirror!

I haven't voted yet, I think mirror is my choice. After the drawing if I don't like it I'm sure rippy would be happy to.make it satin.

Not all that glitters is gold, McCrea custom sheaths or...mirror finish. BWCA has left no doubt about a satiny finish. Or did he misspell satany?
I'm remaining completely impartial here, and maintain that there should be no coercion or undue pressure on any members in an effort to sway opinion (although satin is lustrous and austere while mirror is crass and over the top).

I'm remaining completely impartial here, and maintain that there should be no coercion or undue pressure on any members in an effort to sway opinion (although satin is lustrous and austere while mirror is crass and over the top).

As election judge you have a responsibility to remain impartial. Of course it wasn’t your PayPal that was used, and any vote on the finish is covered under your lack of Miranda Rights. I believe the adjective used was “ostentatious”. I know you had trouble with that word:

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/ostentatious

But in the interest free and fair election I hereby release Memaquay from his blackmailed satin vote.

That's a beautiful carol BWCA. It's really really good, better than the original! Do you think the SATINY part was too subtle?
Apparently to some this was too subtle! - Yeah! Another vote for mirror finish. Alan - NOT!

Then there was this -
I agree Alan, I think BWCA is having knife identity issues. His Freudian slip about the brightly shining blade shows that he is merely being coerced by peer pressure. Break the bonds of servitude BWCA! Live your own life, paddle against the current, and for God's sake vote Mirror!

No issues or slips here. As fine a knife as Rippy is making the Ripster to be, I am sure the SATIN blade will be shinny and glow just enough to warn of bears but it won't be obnoxiously blinding bright and blazing neon that a mirrored Ripster would be!

I went back over different threads to find these votes. Here's where we stand:

SATIN

BWCA66
3Scoutdad
MMcCrea
Boatman53
Qayaq
Iskweo
Snubber
Odyssey

MIRROR

Alan Gage
Memequay
Jim Dodd
Muskrat
Canotrouge
Wysedav
Canoencowboy
Scoutegriz
Mihun
It's neck and neck. There's no wrong choice here.
There's more of you out there. Come on and drop in for a vote. Either way it will be a great knife for a great cause.
If I've made any mistakes here just mention it. It's okay to change your mind too.

Last edited:
Don't worry about being the deciding vote or anything. I figure Rippy will wake up one morning and just decide "Hm, think I'll make the knife a --- finish", and that will be that, which wouldn't be a bad thing either way. Besides, it's been a good community project so far, and we've learned so much together! Comparative ease of cleaning of finishes, playing with the Rockwell scale, how to heat treat (don't try this at home) your new blade, who used to plaid pole dance...you know, important stuff.

Don't worry about being the deciding vote or anything. I figure Rippy will wake up one morning and just decide "Hm, think I'll make the knife a --- finish", and that will be that, which wouldn't be a bad thing either way.
Haven't seen any pictures for awhile - maybe he already has finished it!

Perhaps we should imagine the two possible outcomes as they would be written up in advertising:

"You've been stranded for 4 days in the Canadian Bush and don't know how much longer you can hold out. Thank goodness you've had a the Ripster hanging from your belt. Handling normal knife duties with aplomb the mirror surface was also easily disinfected with your second to last swallow of whiskey, the last used by you to dull the pain, and smoothly lanced the wound on your thigh,allowing you to remove the shrapnel left over from the tree that crashed onto your tent in the middle of a cloudburst. Hovering on the edge of consciousness you suddenly realize that what you thought was just a buzzing in your ears is really the drone of an approaching float plane. With your last remaining strength you drag yourself to the shoreline, pull the Ripster from his sheath, and try to reflect the sun's rays back to the pilot. Just when you've given up hope you see the plane circle, wag it's wings, and line up into the wind for a landing. What a life and what a knife!"

"You've been stranded for 2 days in the Canadian Bush and don't know how much longer you can hold out. No phone, no Facebook, and no video games. This is your longest solo to date and you hope you can make it back to the boat ramp this evening. It already sprinkled for one whole afternoon and now the temperature has dropped to 60 degrees. Chilled but determined you push on and as you load up the gear and start your 30 minute drive back to Toronto you start thinking of the fun you'll have that evening with your friends at the local hipster bar. You'll show up wearing plaid, your hair slightly disarrayed and a patchy beard. Of course The Ripster will still be on your belt and with his ironically bejeweled sheath and modern looking satin finish he'll complete the look and impress the ladies as you tell your tales of conquering the wilderness over the holiday weekend. The Ripster: a Lumbersexuals best friend and wingman."

Choose wisely.

Alan

Last edited:
"You've been stranded for 4 days in the Canadian Bush and don't know how much longer you can hold out. Thank goodness you've had a the Ripster hanging from your belt. Handling normal knife duties with aplomb the mirror surface was also easily disinfected with your second to last swallow of whiskey, the last used by you to dull the pain, and smoothly lanced the wound on your thigh,allowing you to remove the shrapnel left over from the tree that crashed onto your tent in the middle of a cloudburst. Hovering on the edge of consciousness you suddenly realize that what you thought was just a buzzing in your ears is really the drone of an approaching float plane. With your last remaining strength you drag yourself to the shoreline, pull the Ripster from his sheath, and try to reflect the sun's rays back to the pilot. Just when you've given up hope you see the plane circle, wag it's wings, and line up into the wind for a landing. What a life and what a knife!"

"You've been stranded for 4 days in the Canadian Bush and don't know how much longer you can hold out. No phone, no Facebook, and no video games. This is your longest solo to date and you hope you can make it back to the boat ramp this evening. It already sprinkled for one whole afternoon and now the temperature has dropped to 60 degrees. Chilled but determined you push on and as you load up the gear and start your 30 minute drive back to Toronto you start thinking of the fun you'll have that evening with your friends at the local hipster bar. You'll show up wearing plaid, your hair slightly disarrayed and with four days of patchy stubble. Of course The Ripster will still be on your belt and with his ironically bejeweled sheath and modern looking satin finish he'll complete the look and impress the ladies as you tell your tales of conquering the wilderness over the holiday weekend. The Ripster: a Lumbersexuals best friend and wingman."

Wait, in scenario #2 the knife bearer has friends and finally manages to impress the ladies? Memaquay may want to change his vote again.

Wait, in scenario #2 the knife bearer has friends and finally manages to impress the ladies? Memaquay may want to change his vote again.

Wow, that's a good point. I might have to change mine as well.

Alan

Don't worry about being the deciding vote or anything. I figure Rippy will wake up one morning and just decide "Hm, think I'll make the knife a --- finish", and that will be that, which wouldn't be a bad thing either way.

Brad you're not getting off jury duty that easy. I don't think every one will be happy with the groups choice of finish when it comes. So if I go down on this one I'm taking you with me fella. By the way you are doing an excellent job as foreman.

Friends? HAAAAAAAAAA, who needs 'em when I could be out in the bush solo, throwing the Ripster into the heart of a bear! I've reached a point in my life where I've cruised so many chicks and drank so much hooch that the simple life of a hair shirt, an old canvas tarp, my trusty old Cooey single shot .22, and of course, the Ripster, are all I need for happiness. I ain't changing my vote, Lumbersexuals be danged!

Friends? HAAAAAAAAAA, who needs 'em when I could be out in the bush solo, throwing the Ripster into the heart of a bear! I've reached a point in my life where I've cruised so many chicks and drank so much hooch that the simple life of a hair shirt, an old canvas tarp, my trusty old Cooey single shot .22, and of course, the Ripster, are all I need for happiness. I ain't changing my vote, Lumbersexuals be danged!

Obviously you have ate some more red meat when no one was looking.

Endorphins are kicking in. I've seen this before. Don't crush his dream. Let him have his rainbow world awhile longer; bull moose unicorns and cans of Klik at the end of every neon rainbow. He's more voyeur than voyageur, less salt of the earth more saltine cracker. No matter. When he snaps out of it standing in front of the big stuffed moose head in Dan's General Store trying to feed it corn chips and calling it Cheryl, his feet will finally touch the ground. (Yes Rob, when you walk around Dan's the moose' eyes kinda do follow you around. Weird how that works.) But we'll have the old mem back again. Cleaned up and back on the meat byproducts wagon. Heaven help us when he decides to tackle giving up smokes.

So here we are....a group of 5 neophytes and the great Memaquay at campsite 5 somewhere downstream of Marshall Lake....what to do, portages are impassable, white water near class 4, rivers too low to paddle and our provisions are at a dangerous level.

We all looked to our courageous trip leader for comfort and to our horror he told us to back off while he severed up a healthy supply of Klik with his small folding pocket knife and fried it up. At this point I knew what a true leader was.....his poise, his ability to sit with out any means of support, his amazing Canadian outfit with Thunder Bay Mall shoes, a fresh cut piece of jack pine to stack his klik on...his vote is mine.

DSC01110.JPG

Back