• Happy Scream Day! 😱

Cast Your Vote for Blade Finish in Knife Build FUNdraiser

Brad as foreman of the jury you're still in charge here, let me know when it's done what the final outcome is.

With Mihun and Sweeper's votes it looks like it is tied again.

In the interest of breaking the deadlock and allowing Rippy to move forward I am changing my vote to mirror.

As noted that finish would better show Rippy’s craftsmanship, and would be easier to keep clean. But mostly it would bedevil Memaquay even more when he doesn’t win.

Brad as foreman of the jury you're still in charge here, let me know when it's done what the final outcome is.

Yup. I'm hoping for some more members to cast a vote. Aaand for all the mirror people to realize their crisis of conscience
and switch for satin. (Too subtle?)

In the interest of breaking the deadlock and allowing Rippy to move forward I am changing my vote to mirror.

As noted that finish would better show Rippy’s craftsmanship, and would be easier to keep clean. But mostly it would bedevil Memaquay even more when he doesn’t win.
Mike, step away from the open paint pot. Swiping all those stripey colours on axe handles, broom handles and hammers has given you a bad buzz man. Just wait till the hangover blues! You'll wake up under a Sycamore slurring "What was I thinking?!"
Your first hunch of satin was the right one. But that's just my unbiased opinion.

But mostly it would bedevil Memaquay even more when he doesn’t win.

Mike, I grew up in the Annapolis Valley in Nova Scotia. It was a hot bed for the Baptist religion, and even though I was never a member, I associated with those guys every day. They were all of Loyalist stock, Yankees really, even sounded like they were from Boston or sumpin. Anyway, next time I go home, I'm gonna take a picture of you to one of their tent revivals and flash it all around so that they will finally and definitively know what Satan looks like. Now I know you might punish me some more in the afterlife for revealing you to True Ones, but what the heck, it will be heck anyway, one expects to suffer.;)

SATIN

BWCA66
3Scoutdad
Boatman53
Qayaq
Iskweo
Snubber
Odyssey
Sweeper
Canoencowboy

MIRROR

Alan Gage
Memequay
Jim Dodd
Muskrat
Canotrouge
Wysedav
Scoutegriz
Mihun
MMcCrea

Final day of voting folks. After midnight tonight Rippy can get back to work on my knife.

Last edited:
SATIN

BWCA66
3Scoutdad
Boatman53
Qayaq
Iskweo
Snubber
Odyssey

MIRROR

Alan Gage
Memequay
Jim Dodd
Muskrat
Canotrouge
Wysedav
Canoencowboy
Scoutegriz
Mihun
MMcCrea

Final day of voting folks. After midnight tonight Rippy can get back to work on my knife.

Your knife?

Ok folks, I finally got a chance to look at the two finishes, in the pictures of knives that Dave has actually made. Considering the choice of wood and metals that we've made, I have to change my vote to satin. I think it'll just look right. Sorry for acting like a politician and flip flopping at the last minute, but I couldn't - in good conscience - let someone wind up with a knife that didn't look "just right" ;-)

We'll see how the voting looks in the morning I guess. I said voting ends at midnight but overlooked the different time zones.
Might need a tie-breaker.

Esteemed trippers and friends, it gives me the great honour to announce that we all equally covet the brilliance of Rippy's skills in both satin and shiny knife making. I suppose we shouldn't really be surprised about the results given the diverse crowd spread far and wide, but united in one (of many) pursuits...canoe tripping.
But now down to brass tacks, we need to choose a blade finish. Pick a number between 1 and 10.

Back