• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Build your own canvas wall tent

Reaction score
Years ago I bought an 8x10 wall tent package (tent, angle kit, stove). I cut conduit pipe for the interior frame and set out for my first trip. My outfit was so heavy that I soon realized I would be limited to car camping.
Click image for larger versionName:    DSC04427_zpsfeb3a507_Original.jpgViews:    45Size:    127.6 KBID:    5293
I wanted a 4 season outfit, but most importantly I wanted to be able to get into the backcountry with my kit, no more car camping. I decided to downsize my tent and stove. I first cut down the poles for my interior frame to the size I wanted my new tent. I had never sewn before, but I soon learned with the help of YouTube. I even found a used Brother sewing machine and YouTube had instructions for it too.
I took measurements from the new downsized frame and ended up with a decent small wall tent for my solo travel. My tent is made from some pretty cheap canvas so the Brother sewing machine was able to do a good job sewing.
Click image for larger versionName:    DSC05366_zpsnpkxup3h_Original.jpgViews:    35Size:    52.8 KBID:    5294
If I were to build a new wall tent today, I would first buy an angle kit from an online tent company (my 7’x 6’6” deep by 64” high uses 6 angles, anything deeper would probably require additional angles and rafters/legs in the middle).
I now use pine closet poles for the frame poles, it might sound flimsy but once the tent is guyed down it’s very solid and much lighter than conduit. For a heavy snow load temporary ridge supports could be cut on site.
Click image for larger versionName:    DSC05436_zps8d55dbc7_Original.jpgViews:    39Size:    348.5 KBID:    5295
To build a new tent, build the frame to the size of the tent you want. Take measurements and build the tent over the frame. I would contact Big Duck Canvas and pick their brain for the correct canvas that your machine could sew. They will send samples iirc. They have many widths so you could limit your seams. I wouldn’t worry about the canvas being waterproof, mine isn’t but I bought a nice white tarp from Cooke Custom Sewing. White lets in light for a bright interior. Sometimes the walls get wet in heavy windy rain, but it has never been a big issue with the tarp over the roof.
I set my stove Jack out the end of the tent and have zero burn holes in the canvas after 100 nights (I sleep with a cold stove) My stove Jack is velcroed in and I have a Velcro screen widow for warm weather, along with a custom screen door made by BeckelCanvas Products.
Click image for larger versionName:    IMG_2080_Original.jpgViews:    36Size:    1.83 MBID:    5296 Click image for larger versionName:    IMG_2059_Original.jpgViews:    39Size:    2.00 MBID:    5297 Click image for larger versionName:    IMG_2078_Original.jpgViews:    35Size:    2.21 MBID:    5298
I don’t winter camp anymore but I do a lot of solo canoe in shoulder season camping, this size fits my comfort level. My cot fits in nicely, it doesn’t require a big stove (I cut that down too), and I can fit the tent, stove, tarp and angle kit in an old Woods canoe pack.

Click image for larger versionName:    932907EF-6F18-447F-847F-DDDA4C57AA1A.jpgViews:    35Size:    228.3 KBID:    5299 Click image for larger versionName:    IMG_3429.jpgViews:    36Size:    362.7 KBID:    5300
Click image for larger versionName:    9B3AE187-A474-4D0F-857A-7B10FCF5E777_Original.jpgViews:    32Size:    552.7 KBID:    5301

Tags: None

Very cool, thanks for the write up! I've done some sewing on covers and sails. I started with an old Japanese "badged" machine. It had an all steel drive and worked well enough. A few years ago while making all new sail covers I bought a Sailrite, which is a good machine for heavy cloth.

Pretty cool Robin. I have watched your trip videos and had no Idea that you made your own tent. I too prefer the shoulder seasons for canoe tripping.

Yes. You are right Robin, the full sized tents are hard to pack around. I have used wall tents on pack trips with mules to carry them in the Rockies. Stormy weather makes having one important even in summer. I used to cut poles for my wall tent, and finally bought the angle set for a conduit frame. My wall tent frame is up in the back yard all year.

I have used a small Baker tent for trips, but it takes a lot of poles.

Your solution is really good. Easy to handle. Canvas is really warm. Adding a stove changes everything.
I have a small canvas Kodiak tent but have not tried it yet. I plan to use a propane heater in it.
I used to hang around with buckskinners in CO and WY. People commonly made their own tipi covers and liners. Having an industrial sewing machines makes it much easier.

Very cool, thanks for the write up! I've done some sewing on covers and sails. I started with an old Japanese "badged" machine. It had an all steel drive and worked well enough. A few years ago while making all new sail covers I bought a Sailrite, which is a good machine for heavy cloth.
Thanks, Sailrite is a great company, I learned a lot from their videos.

Pretty cool Robin. I have watched your trip videos and had no Idea that you made your own tent. I too prefer the shoulder seasons for canoe tripping.
It's nice to have the hot tent to take the chill off when camping during cooler weather.

Hi Robin, this was the perfect thread to read after sitting in traffic on the LIE for the last 1 1/2 hours. Ahhhh, gonna have a nice sleep tonight dreaming. Early holiday cheers to you and your family.

That is a nice tent Robin. I too made my own canvas wall tent back in 1979 I think it was. No internal frame. This was a permanent setup so I cut my own poles on site. I lived in it for a year and a half. For some reason I made the walls short and that was fine for the summer but when we decided carry on and stay through the winter we raised the tent And i put up lower wooden walls which helped hold back snow that came off the roof from pushing in the sides of the tent. And I bought a sheep herders folding stove that did a great job keeping us warm in the northern Idaho winter.
68F321AE-05CF-46C0-9F36-A2BD110B32EB.jpeg

I too made my own canvas wall tent back in 1979 I think it was. No internal frame. This was a permanent setup so I cut my own poles on site. I lived in it for a year and a half.
A year and a half is a long time in a wall tent, I get antsy after a week. I like the look of exterior poles, old school, but I find the interior frame makes for a quick setup. Cutting live trees around here is frowned upon too.
I like your tent, looks like it could be very comfortable yet easy enough to travel with either by sled or canoe.
Hi Robin, this was the perfect thread to read after sitting in traffic on the LIE for the last 1 1/2 hours. Ahhhh, gonna have a nice sleep tonight dreaming. Early holiday cheers to you and your family.
Hi Coldfeet, Oh the Long Island Expressway, brings back memories from the good old days.
I bet you're ready to get your outfit out for a winter camp, any plans for an ADK trip?

Awesome Post Robin ... stuff like this really speaks to me. I have often thought bout making one - jsut not sure how to start - so many ideas in my head. Would have two doors with screens, and aluminum poles to make portage somewhat reasonable. I hate summer tents - my CCS1 is about as tenty as I can stand. A roomy breathable wall tent ... that speaks to me. Yours and boatman53's ... just feels good reading posts like that, and I love the pictures. Spent the day in mine yesterday - not really doing much, read a little, listened to the woods ... had a great day.

Bob.

Those were different times Robin. I was 26, I worked a full time job and my wife worked at the YMCA. It was just where we lived. I never felt like we were homeless we just chose to live in the woods and our friend was glad to have us there. He actually came to Sag Harbor to visit us after 40 years (before we moved to Maine). I had read a lot of Calvin Rutstrum and this was inspired by his book Paradise Below Zero. We cooked over an open fire or the wood stove in the tent. We were on a friends 35 acres and just a short walk through the woods from where we parked the cars. One of us was in town every day so food was bought as needed, and showers were at the YMCA.
One thing it taught me was not to worry about where I lived. Shortly after that time in Idaho we moved to the east end of Long Island, NY and lived aboard a 32’ boat for 4 summers and house sat a wealthy persons house during the winter.
I have been blessed with some good times.
Jim

I have been wanting to make a Whelen tent for a long time. I even started making one from ripstop coated nylon. I sewed the overall shape but never got to the tie outs and other necessary thing. Then moved and got involved with big boats and life in general happened. I dug it out last fall and the coating is all stinky and sticky. I need to start over but this time in canvas.
Jim

Hi Robin, not to sure yet about an ADK trip this February. I missed last years for that knee revision (first was recalled). Second one not so good either. But I'm keeping up positive vibes and will do something. Maybe in the Copake NY area which is much closer.
Best wishes to all.

Back