• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Cast Your Vote for Blade Finish in Knife Build FUNdraiser

We went grocery shopping today. I know, slow news day. Anyway, I checked out the canned meat aisle. My wife asked me "What are you doing down that aisle?!" She sounded kinda accusatory rather than curious. I have the reflexes of a coiled 10 year old kid, I replied "Nothing. It was like that when I got here." She shook her head and walked away, filling all the important stuff on our shopping list. I was standing in front of the Spam shelf. Well, not exactly in front of it. I didn't want to give myself away so I was standing in front of the lupini beans, but I could clearly see the Spam from my vantage point. There were 3 solitary cans to choose from. Original Spam. Sodium reduced Spam. Calorie reduced Spam. Jeeze. They're trying to take all the guilt out of Spam? Only one kind of Klik though. I guess the suave marketing efforts haven't reached this far north yet. No hurry. I didn't realize Klik is a pork product, says so on the label. Spam didn't say, but quite frankly who would really care with tinned meat? The boss stormed down my aisle minutes later with shopping cart in front like a battle weary Halifax -class frigate just itching for a fight. I shifted my position from lupini to tuna just to be safe. I deftly reached across for the tinned beef from Brazil and said "Remember when your mom would buy this for corned beef hash?" She took the bait and relaxed "Yeah. It was nice. We should get some." I countered perilously "Would Spam go with that just as well?" Her eyes flamed and colour came to her cheeks. I tossed a tin of Hereford corned beef into the cart and changed the subject " Do we have enough lupini beans?"
If I were a real man I'd just buy whatever the heck I wanted, and bedamned the consequences. But I'm not a tough guy from a northern bush-town, I'm a new age guy balancing my inner Dirty Harry with my Felix Ungar. (Go ahead punk, leave a coffee mug ring on my polished table and make my day).

Who knew trips to the grocery store could be filled with such intrigue?

If I were a real man I'd just buy whatever the heck I wanted, and bedamned the consequences. But I'm not a tough guy from a northern bush-town, I'm a new age guy balancing my inner Dirty Harry with my Felix Ungar. (Go ahead punk, leave a coffee mug ring on my polished table and make my day).

Why is the table you mentioned above polished? So that coffee rings and stains will easily wipe off. Felix would certainly appreciate a knife with a mirror shine for the same reasons and I can't imagine Dirty Harry reaching for the lumbersexual version either.

Maybe you need a little hideout in the woods near your house like kids have. Instead of a girly mag hidden under the floor boards you can keep a can or two of Spam, a small stove, and a nice knife with a mirror finish for slicing and daydreaming. It can be your own little hobo jungle. That's one of my dad's dreams.

Alan

If I were a real man I'd just buy whatever the heck I wanted, and bedamned the consequences.

I would like to try to help you Brad. You don't have to be a tough guy, crazy works every bit as good, and it probably won't get you into a fight. People are uncomfortable around crazies. They don't want to set them off. I pull my crazy card at work all the time and make it work for me. One day I took a cardboard box in and threw it on the owners desk and told him to fill the box cause he was fired. True story. Now he gives me tickets to college sporting events from time to time to pacify me. When you're really on a roll people won't even look you in the face for fear of reprisal. Give it a try.

My sides still hurt after the Thunder Bay Mall shoes quip. I haven't laughed that hard in weeks. I remember trying not to stare at those shoes. Standing in front of the fire studying those Mall shoes outta the corner of my eyes I thought "Is this what they wear in the bush?! What's wrong with me? How come I didn't know this before? I am such a newbie."

DSC01110.JPG

Just take a look at that guy in the photo self levitating slicing generous portions of Klik, wearing the ultimate comfort wear undeterred by any fashion sense whatsoever. Actually, any sense whatsoever. But heck, it worked for him. And there I was standing on a rock above a waterfall next to this giant of a man feeling small and lonely thinking "I've got a lot of re-thinking when I get home."

Embrace your crazy Brad. I look at the picture and see a crazy man. He knows how to make it work for him and that's all that matters. Mem may very well start the next fashion statement, Crazysexual. Embrace your crazy and start to live it up.

I'm gonna try the cardboard box idea. I'll wait for just the perfect moment. Seeing as how I'm self-employed it might not go so well. But then again it might work. I'm just that nuts some days.
Sooo, don't mean to be a spoil sport, but if you could get your camera operator there to help you out, some time in the new year I'd love to see a pic of the blade again. A close-up looking down so I can see the spine. Does it taper to the point or no? Not really important. Just curious.
Oh, and another thing. Have you ever added jimping before, and what are your thoughts about this?

Brad, looking from the top, the top of the spine tapers from the start of the clip to the point. Just wait till your wife wins it and if you are lucky she will let you examine it. The spine does not taper from the bolster to the tip. Some forged knifes are this way. This is not a forged knife, it's a stock removal knife.

I had to google jimping, and found out that I had jimped in the past. In the past it was called file work and it is more of an embellishment to my way of thinking. On this knife I feel like file work would have looked good with a satin finish but not a mirror finish. Either way it would be harder to wipe the klick off with a bunch of "notches" on the spine. Doesn't matter at this point as I would have had to do it before heat treating. In other words, to late.

I went back over different threads to find these votes. Here's where we stand:

SATIN

BWCA66
3Scoutdad
MMcCrea
Boatman53
Qayaq
Iskweo
Snubber
Odyssey

MIRROR

Alan Gage
Memequay
Jim Dodd
Muskrat
Canotrouge
Wysedav
Canoencowboy
Scoutegriz
Mihun
It's neck and neck. There's no wrong choice here.
There's more of you out there. Come on and drop in for a vote. Either way it will be a great knife for a great cause.
If I've made any mistakes here just mention it. It's okay to change your mind too.

Looks like Mirror wins, if I were to vote I would have voted Satin, but I'm not in the running so I'll abstain.

Thank you for not voting! Then we'd still be tied and I'd never get my shiny new knife. I'm still trying to think of its new name, I already have the rhinestones for the sheath. Any ideas what rhymes with David?

Well Dave I guess we're going to need a 'Tie-Breaker'. I like and have both finishes so it doesn't really matter to me but I do lean to SATIN.

Back