• Happy Star Wars Day! 🌇🚶🏼‍,👑👊🏼🔙

What's in your campfire?

Might as well say its Vegan Firewood also.

Genuine Certified Organic Vegan Firewood $15 a bundle

PETT (people for the ethical treatment of timber) are vehemently opposed to cutting trees up into firewood and burning them.

Don't laugh we had a women who did't want us to be moving the rocks, on our own property. "Every rock has its own story and they should be left where they are."

'Ya, ya, off with you now!!'

Saw an ad 20 years ago in the back of a home magazine for "antique rocks." It didn't say whether they were organic or all natural. :rolleyes:

I am not a collector. Not autographs, coins or stamps. Not maps, manuscripts or matchbooks. Not even rocks. Okay, I do have some silky smooth pebbles gathered from the Lake Superior shore but they aren't really a collection. Just a select handful of history worn and weathered by water and now scattered on a table in our rec room. I sometimes pick one up and move it about in my hand and remember. I remember the Superior coast on sunny mornings and stormy afternoons, raging seas and mirrored waters. I call them my memory stones. However I'm not in the habit of collecting stuff, much less rocks. But last summer I was entranced by the polished cobbles of granite, basalt and gneiss laying in the shallows in front of our campsite. The myriad of colours, textures and sizes all smoothly rounded by time and water caught and kept my attention for awhile. The water was not quite warm enough for a swim, so instead I just waded in water shoes and shorts gazing at the geology show scattered beneath my feet. One solitary stone made it back to my pack and found its way home to my front porch. It's a fine example of pink granite about the size of a potato. I became annoyed with the paperboy this summer for tossing our paper in the general direction of our step, allowing the inserts and sections to blow all over the yard. I caught him in mid throw one day and asked him to spare me and the paper just one additional minute of his valuable youthful time (I said this in a casual nice way) and tuck my paper under that small rock I'd retrieved from my rec room table and placed beside my front door. I don't know if the boy was frightened of me (I hope not) or if he thought it was an okay idea (I hope so) but he's delivered my paper this way ever since. (Reminds me I should give him and his brother something for Christmas this year as a thank you.) My paperweight has a story to tell I'm sure but lately that pink granite lump looks forlorn doing it's dead end job of restraining my weekly. It's looking out of place. So we're planning a canoe trip next summer past that very rock's former home. I'm thinking maybe I'll "set it free". Toss it back in with it's sisters and brothers to continue its journey. Maybe I'm just being touchy feely but it seems like a good idea. Give ol' Pinky early retirement and replace him with another mailbox.
cobble beach.JPG - Click image for larger version  Name:	cobble beach.JPG Views:	2 Size:	100.7 KB ID:	86298

Last edited:
Pesticides are routinely used in modern forestry operations, the most common use being herbicide application to eliminate unwanted vegetation in an area that's being managed. Some of the trees killed by herbicides might be used for firewood if they're large enough. The pesticide manufacturers state that the chemical composition of their products is safe and breaks down with exposure to the elements but there is the possibility that the knowledge is incomplete - for example the widespread use of 2-4-D in forestry operations, often being sprayed from airplanes which included Agent Orange in Viet Nam with subsequent health effects on humans and ecosystems. And the World Health Organization recently linking 2-4-D exposure with cancer.

If pesticide use results in ill effects, then use can't seen as ethical. Organic might mean that the wood was harvested from unsprayed land, or it might be targeted at bumping up sales to a pesticide-sensitive market.

The Ontario government recently outlawed cosmetic use of pesticides on private lands in an effort to reduce harmful effects so with consumers being well aware of this together with the success of organic marketing, for example people shopping at Whole Foods and buying organic and ethical product only, maybe it's understandable. I've seen some pretty agitated residents complaining that their neighbors were spraying pesticides, esp with kids present nearby possibly being exposed to spray drift.

Move the rocks, start a new chapter in their story. They were bored anyway ;)

I like throwing rocks downhill. Everything is slowly migrating to sea level anyway. Think how many thousands of years you saved that rock by giving in a good heave.

Alan

Some of you rock abusers should feel ashamed of yourselves. I can't believe you actually admit to displacing hard working rocks just for the fun of it. Every time I see a tourist plucking an innocent pebble off a shore to try skipping stones I see a mindless person interfering with nature. Igneous, metamorphic, and heck even sedimentary rocks all deserve a little compassion and understanding now and then. Just think what they've been through to even get here. A slow roll through earth's history needlessly hurried up by heartless interlopers. That's why I'm starting a petition and Fund Stop Skipping Stones And Building Unnecessary Inukshuks.
Please give now and give generously.

Just kidding.

But there is a serious side to this. Culturally sensitive archeological sites need protection. Pictographs, petroglyphs, tent rings and vision pits all must be respected and left untouched. So too paleo sites. There've been too many stories of wanton vandalism. And yes in some parts of the world even plucking sea shells and pebbles from a beach is forbidden, with good reason.
https://stateparks.utah.gov/2018/04/...-at-red-fleet/
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbu...oyed-1.4199911
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...ent-180949368/

Not meaning to get all heavy about this, there's always differing perspectives, just tossing in 2 cents.

That artisanal craft firewood is pretty funny.

Last edited:
I just bought a bundle of Organic Ginger-Infused Firewood. Very mellowing.. Using it in my $200 Biolite battery-powered firepit. Because I care when it comes to the planet.

Aaah... small potatoes. If you really want to impress your fellow trippers, sure, bring in the good firewood, but don't forget to really make a statement with the expensive coffee. The absolute best is made from coffee beans defecated out by civet cats. Price... don't talk about price, uncool to talk about that around high-end campfires.

Endorsed by Jack Nicholson, may he rest in peace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZhidtD3cMY

I want to know who was desperate enough for their morning fix to try defecated beans in the first place. My guess is the cats don't swallow the beans whole.

Back