• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

The Psychology of Choosing the "Perfect" Canoe

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"On a scale from one to 10, how much happier would you be if you could buy any boat in the hundreds of listings in the Paddling Buyer’s Guide? I know the answer, and it’s going to shock you. Not much happier at all."

"In The Paradox of Choice, Schwartz suggests the more choices we have, the more unhappy we are with the choices we make. Why? Because we’re always wondering if the grass is greener."

Incredibly true. I have been fortunate (or foolish) enough to have a few dozen canoes pass through my garages over the decades and am finally pared down to one that is “good enough” to satisfy my disparate desires. Possibly that’s due to the mellowing of age and the infrequency of paddling these days.

On the other hand I don’t regret a single purchase as each was a learning experience which provided pure joy. Ephemeral perhaps but actual non the less.

I just love canoes.

Luckily, Paddling Magazine trims down the choices for us and excludes 80% of the canoes on the market in favor of the few brands that pay for their advertising. That buyers guide is a joke. Nothing but an advertorial.
But, yes, I still want most of the boats listed just in case I might like them more than what I have.

Interesting psychology. Three of my canoes are not what I would choose with infinite time and money. However, I'm happy to have more than I need.

I figure it's better spending my time and resources on trips.

It's also a matter of priorities. Light weight and wood construction are two of mine. Of course I have price limits, buying used limits options to what's available.
I've enjoyed owning and sailing many small boats, I sell one and buy the next. I've had some favorites, but I'd like to keep trying more.

1. - the more choices we have, the more unhappy we are with the choices we make.

2. - Pick one and look at the rest.
The secret to a good life is "not getting what you want, but wanting what you have."

That's it! just like in real life ;)

Last edited:
Dan Miller was the curator at the Antique Boat Museum in Clayton, New York many years ago and assembled an assortment of canoes that had been described as the 'perfect canoe' from well over a hundred years. It is interesting to see how that definition changed over time. The link below has a brief description and short video.

Benson

Last edited:
Even more annoying when you find yourself second guessing nothing but your current canoe’s color.

The whole idea of a canoe is that it is not perfect for anything. Canoes are not the fastest, not the most seaworthy, not the lightest etc.
Canoes are the jack of all trades - you can carry it, you can paddle big water, lakes, chains of lakes, rivers, tiny little creeks, or swamps. You can load it with much more than you can carry.

Like most of my purchases of outdoor gear, I study and dither and ruminate endlessly. My favorite canoe and the one I would keep if I could keep only one (horrible thought) was purchased on pure impulse when my wife said, "buy it". More choice is not always better.

Like most of my purchases of outdoor gear, I study and dither and ruminate endlessly. My favorite canoe and the one I would keep if I could keep only one (horrible thought) was purchased on pure impulse when my wife said, "buy it". More choice is not always better.
She is what we would all a "Keeper". Like my wife, who fully supports my canoe racing passion, she has been pit crew for 27 Adirondack 90 mile races (so far) and is even one of the official timers. She acompanied me and has been pit crew for my five Yukon River races (so far) (440 mile and 1000 mile).

So for our 50th anniversary I bought for her an Ebike and some other things. In return she knew I have wanted a certain new solo canoe for several years, but the build time was always a year long order wait. So when I told her I was now considering a couple of other solo models, she said "uh oh". She had to admit that she had placed a deposit on what she thought I wanted. Soon after I test paddled one of the others on my list and the builder said I coud have a new one in about a month. She said "buy it", and keep the order for the other canoe as well, which is due to be done this month. Definition of a "keeper".

She is what we would all a "Keeper". Like my wife, who fully supports my canoe racing passion, she has been pit crew for 27 Adirondack 90 mile races (so far) and is even one of the official timers. She acompanied me and has been pit crew for my five Yukon River races (so far) (440 mile and 1000 mile).

So for our 50th anniversary I bought for her an Ebike and some other things. In return she knew I have wanted a certain new solo canoe for several years, but the build time was always a year long order wait. So when I told her I was now considering a couple of other solo models, she said "uh oh". She had to admit that she had placed a deposit on what she thought I wanted. Soon after I test paddled one of the others on my list and the builder said I coud have a new one in about a month. She said "buy it", and keep the order for the other canoe as well, which is due to be done this month. Definition of a "keeper".

I paddled my first 90 Miler this year and it would not have been possible without my wife and daughter. They treated me like a world class athlete, which I am most decidedly not.

PB Shadow, the boat Joe created to beat all the Rapidfires he previously sold to early adaptors like me.

I assume you are going to race that with a double paddle. Are you also going to single stick it like your Rapidfire?

Back