• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Recommend a coffee maker? I'm done bearing a heavy thermos

re: Coffee in the news.

SUDBURY -- A snowmobiler who went missing Jan. 8 was rescued by the Ontario Provincial Police on Jan. 9 near Wawa.
It turns out the snowmobiler had gone through the ice but was able to get out of the freezing water. Police were able to locate the sledder, in part, because he wrote 'SOS' in coffee grounds on the snow.

Try that with tea bags.

Good tea comes loose. Same functionality as coffee grounds!

SPOILER ALERT !!!

The full story goes that fortunately the sledder managed to get out of the water and to a nearby cabin and therein built a fire. The rescue team saw the smoke first, the SOS coffee grounds after they were already drawn to the location. They found him in good condition. I assume and hope that the grounds were already used. The alternative doesn't bear thinking about. Yes tea leaves would work, but they'd seem more precious to me.

Based on Odyssey's recommendation, I bought a box of Taylor Yorkshire Gold tea and also one of Taylor decaf tea. I haven't tried the Gold yet because I drastically limit my intake of caffeine. But the Taylor is probably the best black decaf tea I've ever had. It's nice and strong. Lipton and Tetley black decafs taste like dishwater compared to Taylor. Better also than Twining and Bigelow.

" I drastically limit my intake of caffeine." So says Glenn, and so says I these days. As mush as I love the full flavoured octane fuel of dark roast coffee my body begs to differ, and you know what they say about "listening to your body". So this week I finally listened. Every morning this week I've reached for Kicking Horse Decaf. Dark Roast. It's an experiment that's working.
I have a variety of coffee making methods at my disposal available for tripping that works too. One new consideration I've never tried before are reusable tea bags. Anyone tried these? In a recent youtube video I saw a vlogger use them for his ground coffee. Interesting idea for light weight tripping.
And as for another coffee go to for me this week I'm down to my last :
2up_Can-Sranger-Coffee_720x.png

https://collectiveartsontario.com/

As if craft brews are not enough they are also into cold coffees, gin drinks and even bourbon barrel aged maple syrup. What's this world coming to?

I use tea bags, but not reusable ones. I buy a hundred empty bags on Amazon, grind my own, and fill. I’ve tried every manor of making camp coffee and this one works for me. Easy to pack it all out and zero clean up.

Bob

" I drastically limit my intake of caffeine." So says Glenn, and so says I these days. As mush as I love the full flavoured octane fuel of dark roast coffee my body begs to differ, and you know what they say about "listening to your body".

My cardiologist and gastroenterologist also listened to my body, and both recommended eliminating caffeine. Eliminating caffeine has almost completely eliminated my heart palpitations and skipped beats, and I believe it was a contributing factor in a year-long battle with an IBD.

As a kid, I never drank coffee or tea and wondered why adults did. I certainly never had any trouble waking up or getting going in the morning. I never drank any hot beverage in the mornings all during college or had an urge to, and probably didn't start drinking caffeine regularly in the morning until my late 20's or early 30's. Then, coffee and vending machines were a staple of work places, so I imbibed.

After stopping caffeine by using decaffeinated teas and tisanes, I found my interest even in them waning significantly. Now, I don't have tea probably half the days, and I mostly drink it just to have some variety from drinking water. (I've also given up carbonated beverages and sugar substitutes except pure stevia.)

So now, I'm like my former kid self again, wondering why adults drink coffee or caffeinated tea and even become cultic about it. The answer, of course, is simple: It's a mental and physical addiction. Consider yourself fortunate if caffeine addiction -- or any other addiction -- doesn't cause medical issues for you.

At home, I've always reused tea bags at least twice.

I like the flavor, with cream and sugar or just sugar. If I had decaf I don't think I'd notice. I seem to get better caffeine buzz if I drink some in the afternoon than I do in the morning. If you ever think you might need some extra energy to get you back to the car take a 20 oz Mountain Dew with you.

My cardiologist and gastroenterologist also listened to my body, and both recommended eliminating caffeine. Eliminating caffeine has almost completely eliminated my heart palpitations and skipped beats, and I believe it was a contributing factor in a year-long battle with an IBD.
I'm the exact opposite, I suffer from bradycardia (and all these years I thought I was just extremely athletic...), and my cardiologist says coffee is a good thing for me as the mild stimulation helps raise my heart rate

I'm the exact opposite, I suffer from bradycardia (and all these years I thought I was just extremely athletic...), and my cardiologist says coffee is a good thing for me as the mild stimulation helps raise my heart rate

At my annual physical two years ago, my pulse was 39. Doctor said I couldn’t go home, and ordered me to sit down on the Group W Bench. After a few minutes I commented to Kathleen, “You know, I do fell a bit light headed.”

After another more normal reading 45 minutes later, I was sent home, did some google searching, and first learned of the term bradycardia, and its potential causes. That’s it. Not to worry. I’m I’m just a phenomenal athlete!

WTH ?? 1 cup ? been using a 1 gal. tin can for years , pak stuff inside it then pak it inside other stuff. As for coffee Folgers in those filter packages with 1 row of Singer sewing mach. stitching around the perimeter .

WTH ?? 1 cup ? been using a 1 gal. tin can for years , pak stuff inside it then pak it inside other stuff. As for coffee Folgers in those filter packages with 1 row of Singer sewing mach. stitching around the perimeter .

Welcome to site membership, Barry! Feel free to ask any questions and post any messages, photos and videos in our many canoe-related forums. We look forward to your participation in our community.

I've used several methods to make coffee - boil in the water and strain, French Press and recently instant coffee. In recent times weight has become an issue so I have used instant coffee. I have found that a German imported instant tastes really good - Jacobs Kronung. It's not cheap but it lasts a long time, its easy to carry and easy to make. So I agree with ShawnD.
I agree with you and Shawn D. I prefer to keep my weight down and take instant coffee with powdered coffee creamer. I wouldn't be caught dead doing this at home but, on a trip, caffine and weight take precedence over quality of coffee! I will look for Jacobs Kronung. Not sure if I've ever seen that in Canada.

For those of you who want the true coffee experience without the added gear weight and inconvenience.

Proving once again, that sometimes you just can't make this stuff up. But clearly someone does.

Last edited:
Tried a lot of things:

GSI drip coffee thingie that sits above your cup. it used to be 5 bucks. but they added a matching plastic cup and increased the price to $13.

French press that goes with the Primus Li-tech pot. I'm not going to buy a whole separate french press, so i thought this might work.

Coffee bags similar to tea bags. grind at home, fill, use like a tea bag.

Starbucks Via.

Now I drink Starbucks Via coffee in the morning and hibiscus tea after dinner to have a warm drink that doesn't keep me awake. Highly recommend. Has body, flavour, good smell, not bitter.

Edit: Oh, the Bripe...where have you been all my life!

Back