• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

No More Tripping Yet Here?

I'm not there yet, but it's always hard to know where we are on the path of life until we get there. Maybe try to live a little outside the lines?
It might be my own eclectic noncommittal nature but I have any number of interests. I am a master of absolutely nothing, but I do have a lot of interests. "Hard sciences" mixed in with "soft sciences" and a whole lotta arts in-between. I won't list them, but believe me, I have so many daydreamy interests I don't have enough time in my days, and trust me, I am not a scholar, just a flakey curious guy.
Having all these attractions/distractions might be a good thing or just another bad thing in my life, IDK, but there sure is a lotta colour from this side of the glass. I'm hoping that when the day comes I can no longer trip, even with the help of my children, I will be far too involved with other stuff to occupy myself with.
So what else interests you? Can they be related to canoe tripping? History? Botany? Craft design? Indigenous cultures? Art?
Go ahead and cross the line. See where it takes you. Once that line is blurred, it becomes far less important.
What I mean by all this bafflegab is that there's more to canoe tripping than the mere physical act of moving your body thru air and water.
Let your mind follow. Maybe even let it lead. Now there's a thought.
Just a note to you, Odyssey, to let you know I'm relieved to have found the author__you__of the "master of absolutely nothing, but (who has) a lot of interests" quote. It happens that I crawled out of my cave a month ago to travel to places and to see people I hadn't seen in 10 years. The overwhelming stimulation of my senses, all the good discussions I've been having, compounded by obscure memories of people, books, and places past culminated in me wandering the streets of this wonderful city__image: deer-in-the-headlights__ while wondering just who it was who had recently expressed that same perception of his being a dabbler, not a scholar. I wandered through this thread today and there were your words. I have met some remarkable people lately, and doing so reminded me in a gentle way that I am indeed one of those masters-of-nothing. To get to the point: your words were reassuring.

I'm still young enough (68) to not worry too much about the end of my tripping days. I have a couple of really light boats and just need to work a bit harder on the planning of my trips, not to over-extend myself, and when you put it all together shorter days of paddling lead to longer trips. Time in the woods is the important thing.

I'll be 66 next week and intend to keep going as long as I can. One thing I have done over the years is trip a lot with younger folks and now it's starting to pay off. On a rather difficult trip last winter to the BWCA the group kept telling me I had earned a break so I never had to break trail. Next trip is in February to the BWCA but all of us have decided on an easier route this year. That's probably the biggest change I've made, looking for shorter portages and not trying to get so far in a day.

Hello Martin, I'm glad to hear you've gone for a good wander out and about. I'm a little abashed to admit that in these recluse inducing times I have in fact reveled in it, being a homebody hermit myself, but isn't it reassuringly peculiar that our "happy places" can in fact be an entire kaleidoscope of rediscovered experiences, both real and virtual, plucked from a page or seen, felt, embraced, face to face?! And how our perspectives change as time goes by!? Stories reread take on new meaning, places revisited become distorted deja vu, and people reacquainted are reborn as ghosts out of time. I am planning on visiting some canoe places next season, both old and new to me, hoping to add another chapter to the happy memories, and rewrite some of the more miserable ones. Canoetripping is definitely a happy place.
I'm sitting here minding a family dog waiting impatiently for our mutual masters (my wife) to return home. It seems we lack one or two all important ingredients for hors d'oeuvres in preparation of an annual Christmas dinner party tonight. We see these friends all too infrequently over the course of months and years, one evening cannot make up. None of these friends canoe trip, but while trading stories and exchanging experiences perhaps each of us can broaden our horizons and live a little outside ourselves, even for just one night. A bellyful from the groaning board mixed plentifully with a bellyful of laughs is on the menu. More happy place wandering. Tis the season to be merry and mindful.
ATB Martin,
Brad.

Last edited:
I’d be interested in knowing how many older folks have “aged out” of tripping, yet still hang around this and other Internet forums to discuss and lend their knowledge to others who actively participate.

I’m probably on the tail end of my tripping days. Don’t really know if I can do it now, given my health. If I can’t, I’ll still pass time reading and discussing, although it may be a source of frustration.
Ageing is more complicated then I had thought it would be. Physical changes were a given, and to be expected. Maintaining a positive mental out look is harder then it used to be. Some of this seems due to a rapidly changing world that I don't really fit in to very well. But that's OK. I can still enjoy the things that are meaningful to me such as the outdoors and hobbies.
I had three years in a row of physical setbacks. In 2019 my chronic back pain escalated. In 2020 I had heart failure in the form of Bradycardia and got a shiny new pacemaker installed. In 2021 I got hit by a truck while riding my motorcycle. They put my rib cage back together using 8 titanium plates. Then I caught Covid twice. Sometime in 2022 while pondering "why am I still here" I decided to make the most of the time I have left, no matter how long or short. I'm going to start tripping again and I'll adjust as needed as I go. Al stated above something to the effect "if you can still load your canoe and gear, you can still do a trip of some sort". I've had to deal with a lot of unpleasant stuff in the past few years, I'll learn to deal with what I need to, to continue to trip. We've all made it this far in life using grit and determination. I would encourage as many of us that can to keep going. We'll have plenty of time to rest when we are dead.

Ageing is more complicated then I had thought it would be. Physical changes were a given, and to be expected. Maintaining a positive mental out look is harder then it used to be. Some of this seems due to a rapidly changing world that I don't really fit in to very well. But that's OK. I can still enjoy the things that are meaningful to me such as the outdoors and hobbies.
This is my thought exactly. Thanks for stating it so clearly. (And wow, what a few years you've had.) For me, I find myself so beat up by the end of the work day that doing something or planning to do something is difficult. I still get outside on weekends, but planning anything has become a chore. Retirement is just a few years off, and I'm hoping that without the daily grind some of my gumption will come back.

Retirement is just a few years off, and I'm hoping that without the daily grind some of my gumption will come back.
I hear ya on the daily grind. I was in the same boat. After the bike accident it was all I could do to make it through the week. As a result I ended up retiring ahead of schedule and so far it's working out. Now that I don't feel as rough from working, I find that I have the energy to go to the gym and work out. I think you'll find that your gumption will return with the right motivation.

Welcome Back from the Plaid Prancer
or
Ode to the Ripster

There once was a fella called Rippy
His knife making skills were trippy
We thought he was missing in action
Sounds like he was actually in traction
With titanium powers he is back
With his wit, sharp like a tac
Trip on my good friend Ripster
But don't become one of those hipsters
Stay true to the paddle and axe
The single blade and the water it smax

Paddle on brotha!

All Hail Rippy!

Yo Plaid Prancer, I'm not sure what to say other than I promise not to become a hipster.

P.S. I shudder to think which Knife you dangle when you shake your money maker. Dangle on Dude.

What I've always wanted most has been to trip with my wife and kids, assuming that once the kids got settled into their young adult lives, they'd once again join my wife and I in our tripping lives. I was naïve and assumed way too much. It feels a little like the Harry Chapin song Cat's In The Cradle. They're all leading successful fulfilling lives and I'm happy about that. But feeling a little bit selfish (or maybe a lot selfish), I'm disappointed these days to find them often too busy to fit in a canoe trip with Dad. Mom now preferring to unwind at home with the g-kids. So then I feel guilty for suggesting a trip while this couple are busy with home renovations, that couple busy with other vacation plans, this couple involved with little league coaching, and that couple just starting a new family...and so my pendulum swings...selfish-guilty-selfish-guilty...Ha ha. My wife tells me "Just be patient Brad", but I hear (or rather feel) that biological clock ticking away the seasons. My retirement isn't working out quite like I'd "planned" it. Fall freeze-ups bring some regrets, paddling plans haven't worked out; spring thaws bring some hopes, maybe paddling plans will work out this year. One son has recently sold both his canoes, and replaced them with fishing yaks, while a daughter has recently bought a beauty 17' Keewaydin.
Regrets-tick-hopes-tock-selfish-tick-guilty-tock...and we'll get together then kids, you know we'll have a good time then. Still learning patience.
Aaand that's enough moaning from me.

Ouch, this hits close to home. I’m on the climb to 50 with 4 kids 11 and under. I’ve just added my 4th canoe. I’ve visions of younguns/preteens/teens interested in paddling solos and going camping. I better get on it.

Last edited:
This site is a like a support group. Great thoughts from some experienced people.

I am starting to believe that aging is an exercise in mental toughness. We all are going to have some physical challenges and limitations. Some people do the work and get fit and keep going out there. Like the people on this page. A lot of my friends just kind of give up and go out to dinner, drink wine and go to sporting events. That is not enough for people like us.

I am starting to believe that aging is an exercise in mental toughness. We all are going to have some physical challenges and limitations.
I very much agree with the above. I have noticed that fears have increased with age. A certain amount of fear can be healthy, but fear to growing into paranoia is paralyzing. Our comfort zone keeps shrinking if we don't actively work to maintain it. Finding balance between paranoia and wisdom is a ongoing battle. However, I find in most cases that I'm still more capable then I expected. I wouldn't find this out without trying. My experiments with capability are open ended. In other words I leave myself an out in case it just won't work. Until I know my limits I won't commit to a group activity that I may not be capable of. Bottom line, use wisdom but don't let the walls close in if you can help it. Rippy

I very much agree with the above. I have noticed that fears have increased with age. A certain amount of fear can be healthy, but fear to growing into paranoia is paralyzing. Our comfort zone keeps shrinking if we don't actively work to maintain it. Finding balance between paranoia and wisdom is a ongoing battle. However, I find in most cases that I'm still more capable then I expected. I wouldn't find this out without trying. My experiments with capability are open ended. In other words I leave myself an out in case it just won't work. Until I know my limits I won't commit to a group activity that I may not be capable of. Bottom line, use wisdom but don't let the walls close in if you can help it. Rippy
Well said. I've hurt myself several times in recent years, a couple of hospital visits and one surgery were required. I've become more cautious, but I'm not staying ashore.

Hi everyone- I am one of those folks who doesn’t post. However, I really enjoy reading some of the conversation posts.
Yellocanoe, your beer mug picture made me smile. My wife gave me a glass about a year ago that she thought was pretty close to the truth (as far as I’m concerned). The picture isn’t great, but the slogan hits close to home.

Attachments

• 97E568A7-3998-41D3-A8D5-C688325278CC.jpeg
    97E568A7-3998-41D3-A8D5-C688325278CC.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 20
I turn 72 this year and do not have any plans to willfully slow down anytime soon. I will continue canoe racing and solo tripping as I camp in the Adirondacks just as I have done every year for five decades up to now. Although I do not have a current team together able to return to the Yukon River races, I remain open to doing those races again (just don't tell my wife, although she knows how I feel about that). In the fall of 2016, after completing a very aggressive mountain bike ride, I suffered a TMI mini stroke, determined to be caused by a PFO heart defect, which was repaired by an excellent cardiac surgeon just a couple of months later. Within six weeks of surgery I was back fully training for a return trip to the Yukon, wich I successfully raced and finished high as bow paddler a few months later. I am now training on my canoe paddling machine several times a week and regularly hiking and xc skiing during winter weather months.

So the big question is really, how bad does your health have to get before you start going on shorter trips and staying closer to home?
How bad does it have to get before you quit tripping?

Sometimes it happens before we know it. One of the brothers that was going on the BWCA trip last fall had had a stroke the summer before but he was recovering his abilities nicely. In the end he didn’t go, bailing out just a week before departure day. Now he has deteriorated so much he will never go on another canoe trip. The two brothers got together two weeks ago, although he wanted to do things like fix the fence he couldn’t figure out how to use the tools.
Paddle while you can.
Jim

At just 71, I figure I'll go forever, as it was my main plan for retirement. Realistically, I know there will come a time I can't, and hope I take a final trip on a really cold winter day.

Back