• Happy National Bugs Bunny Day (1938)!❓⬆️👨🏼‍⚕️

New Axe Project

About the only urge I'd encourage you to control is if you have a long stick and find a hornet's nest.

Rob, I haven’t intentionally messed with a hornet’s nest since I found one hanging four feet off the ground on a friend’s farm in the 70’s. We drove the windshield an AMC Pacer up against it and turned on the wipers. My memory is a little hazy; there may have been a bong in the car at the time but I do distinctly remember that windshield covered with angry wasps.

http://content.time.com/time/special...658042,00.html

It was the only thing that car was good for.

(Correction for clarity - it was a large paper wasp nest hanging from a branch)

Last edited:
OM's axe sheath has seen lots of adventures. He so kindly sent it to me shortly after he made it. Here was it's last outing on the one and only time I went moose hunting this year.

I can tell you that OM's axe sheath is heads and shoulders above any commercial ones I have seen. Top Notch! Thanks again Rob!

Thanks for the kind words Mem. But you do know that the hide was from a contented cow, if it came from one of those naughty range cows it probably wouldn't have worked so well.
That's a great picture, it sure tickles me to see it in use in the great life you're living!

Your friend, Rob

Well Friends, I've been pondering about Council tools "Velvicut" inside the eye of their axe heads. Reading the description, those gripping ridges go both ways, making a kind of checkered board effect.
My first thought was it would make handle replacement just about impossible for the owner. And then why are they needed? There have been all those axes for all those years that did just fine without ridges, so why now?

The little bit that I've observed with my traditional eyed axes: It takes a long process to be sure all the excess moisture is out of the replacement axe handle. Try to hurry the process and when the handle does dry that sucker will become loose. Now, most often that slack can be taken up with steel wedges and/or soaking the head in linseed oil.
But I can see if I was trying to make thousands of axes, getting properly dried wood could be a problem. You might need to change how the eye was made.

However pretty those axes are, I believe I'll stick with the traditional eye. If I take my time and dry the handle properly, I can make an axe as good as anybody.

Memaquay! Looking at that picture: were you really going to put a bloody old moose in that beautiful wood canvas canoe?? I guess I'm turning into a wimpette in my old age but the thought just makes me cringe.

I'll bet you guys never properly identified the most arresting geographical feature shown on the topographic borders to these pages. Why to be sure, that's Condom Bend on no-name creek.

Best Wishes, Rob

Well, OM, I wasn't too worried about messing up the canoe, lately I hunt for the Humane Society. As I get older, the thought of actually pulling the trigger is secondary to enjoying the day. Only moose I've had in the last couple of years has come from students trying to bribe their way to a higher mark!

Hi Mike, I've been thinking about your sheath; although the two commercial sheaths that Glenn suggests above look to be a little flimsy, the sheath that comes on the axe he decided to buy doesn't look too bad. If that sheath would fit your axe it might work for you. It might be upgraded with a bent "V" of copper sheet to sandwich around the cutting edge.
If you were doing just the one sheath it might be better than spending a bunch of money at Tandy Leather.

On the other hand if you're starting to feel the itch to work in leather and have several projects in mind, then I'd sure encourage you to go that way. One of the upsides to years under the belt is that when you go to learn something new, you often have skills that transfer and speed the process.

Looking at Glenn's new sheath; If I was doing it, I'd drill out the three rivets in front of the sharp, cut the stitching, insert the copper V and hold it in place with the three replaced rivets and add two more between the three. I think that mod would make it a bunch safer. For replacement rivets I'd get those big copper ones from the hardware store.

Best Wishes, Rob

I've been thinking about your sheath; although the two commercial sheaths that Glenn suggests above look to be a little flimsy, the sheath that comes on the axe he decided to buy doesn't look too bad. If that sheath would fit your axe it might work for you
If you were doing just the one sheath it might be better than spending a bunch of money at Tandy Leather.

Rob, a rare window of rationality opened, and I reconsidered my leather working urges.

I don’t need a sheath for the 100 year old Michigan double bit. I refurbished that one more as a presentation piece than as a working axe. I know the pale wood wall where it will be displayed, hence the dark stained and varnished handle.

It would be fun to have a sheath for the 1917 Bolo, but I don’t really see myself carrying that knife around.

The Boy’s axe of unknown provenance does need a sheath, as I likely will take it on an axe appropriate trip, if only to see what I think. So I read through your sheath making post again, which btw has nearly 6000 views (a Canoe Tripping record?)

I’d need the leather, the tool to neatly round off the edges, the little wheel tool to mark the stitching holes, a kitty litter bucket (clever) fill with concrete and a horse, linen thread (and mucho patience) and a trip across a metro sprawl to the nearest Tandy Leather. That last part alone dissuaded me.

All to sheath an axe I may bring on a trip once.

I bought the small Council Tool sheath Glenn linked to. I agree, it does look flimsy. $21 with shipping. No way I am keeping track of the time, but I could start keeping track of the materials ca-ching.

A half dozen RO sanding disks and assorted sandpapers.
New sheath

And a new handle.

I got the truck up the driveway for the first time in a week and my almost-local independent hardware store had a couple of Link Boys Axe handles in stock. I selected the best of them in grain orientation. Labled “LK-116-08 handle - 28 inch handle, single bit, Boys Axe” - 71cm manche hache, Garcons” …. Oh la la!.

Essentially this one, with a wax finish. $12.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=069-001E-00012

And a metal wedge. (19 cents). I am undecided about using that to augment the hardwood wedge that came with the Link handle. And about how far up past the eye to trim off the head.

But none of that is happening for a while. I need to carefully file and shape the end of the handle to fit the eye first. Would you like fries with that?

I do appreciate the sheath improvement suggestions:

. It might be upgraded with a bent "V" of copper sheet to sandwich around the cutting edge.
I'd drill out the three rivets in front of the sharp, cut the stitching, insert the copper V and hold it in place with the three replaced rivets and add two more between the three. I think that mod would make it a bunch safer. For replacement rivets I'd get those big copper ones from the hardware store.

That type of functional retrofitting and re-riveting is more my style, and more within my existing skills range. If I find the simplistic (and perhaps rustable?) belt buckle strap not to my liking I could probably adapt that closure. That Council Tools sheath should fit just fine, and if I find a better cover solution for the Boys axe I might be able to retrofit that one to fit a hatchet.

I do have a couple of old hatchets around. Ummm, let’s go see. Nah, they are all junk except the Fiskars in the truck. I guess I will have to keep an eye out at yard sales and flea markets after all.

I bought the small Council Tool sheath Glenn linked to. I agree, it does look flimsy. $21 with shipping.

I don't think it looks flimsy. It's riveted all around and a roller buckle, unlike a snap, is not going to come off without human intervention. You can put the strap under the poll, instead of around the back, so it can't slip off either.

Even though it's apparently not listed on their site, Omaha Knife does sell the full Council Tool Velvicut sheath for $25. I talked to them about it yesterday when I was thinking of buying their special order FSS Boys Axe. But too late for Quick Draw McGraw.

If you are going to have a bit mask sheath, the bare metal of the axe head will be showing. Real Timbersexuals will want that metal to be coruscatingly polished. As Mors Kochanski, Ray Mears and Bear Grylls always say:

"An axe head has two necessary qualities: sharp enough to shave your face and polished enough to watch yourself doing it."

Hi Mike, You talking about your axe project got me to thinking about a little Muller hatchet I've got, 600 grams or about 1.3 pounds. Nice quality construction and the issue handle comes with a swell under the head that fits my hand nicely if I was doing close up work. I'll have to take it out to the woods and try batoning with it, I suspect it will prove a very workable backup to my axe. Or maybe even (gasp!) replacement?

I've been looking at videos over on U-Tube, lot of guy's making holsters out of kydex, I like that "snap" when the pistol goes home into the holster. I'm thinking about making a clam shell sheath for that little hatchet. If I molded over enough of the blade, I probably wouldn't need any kind of closure system. Then to, I'd carry it in a pack or box.

Knowing how you fabricate all kinds of things kinda like this kydex, any guesses on how sturdy the stuff is? I know it flexes to allow the pistols to be put in the holsters, but is it prone to breaking if you dropped the sheathed hatchet on a rock?
The thing is I've never used the stuff and don't have any handle on what it's properties are.

About those funny guys "timbersexuals" : back in the day I enjoyed sex but that timber business leaves me wondering, wouldn't a person get slivers? I suppose it's a logical progression from being a "tree hugger" . One thing leads to another.
Seriously though, there they are, striking heroic poses in their plaid shirts and whiskers, scowling at each other over their drinks. Because they think it makes them look manly? Poor little lost souls, wandering from one fad to another. When the Chinese decide to take this place, they'll go through those boys like crap through a goose.

Best Wishes, Rob

Knowing how you fabricate all kinds of things kinda like this kydex, any guesses on how sturdy the stuff is? I know it flexes to allow the pistols to be put in the holsters, but is it prone to breaking if you dropped the sheathed hatchet on a rock?

Rob, I have never worked with Kydex. Although I have a local paddler friend who has made Kydex stuff I don’t remember much about his technique or experiences, except that he made several things and seemed happy with the result. IIRC the stuff needs to go in the oven and I don’t think the missus would be real happy about that.

About those funny guys "timbersexuals
there they are, striking heroic poses in their plaid shirts and whiskers, scowling at each other over their drinks. Because they think it makes them look manly? Poor little lost souls, wandering from one fad to another.

I find the whole urban lumberjack poser bit funny as heck, especially the bit about buying $300 gaudily painted felling axes just to complete a costume. I guess showing up at a Lumbersexual gathering toting a $50 axe would expose you to ridicule. The manlier men would scoff at your inadequate tool and no woman would follow you back to the bunkhouse.

On the other hand when this fad becomes passé the best source of a quality used (and unused) axe might be a secondhand shop in NYC. I find that funny as heck too.

If that is costumery is what is driving the “new, rugged” look of Council Tools higher quality axes I have to wonder if the boys in the shop at Lake Waccamaw know. I’ve visited Council Tool, sat in the lunchroom while one of the older employees schooled me about that Michigan double bit, and I don’t think those guys would recognize a hipster fad if they hit one with their pickup truck.

Time to take the test. Are you a closet Lumbersexual?

http://elitedaily.com/envision/hipst...photos/849694/

Crap, I scored 11 ½ out of 14. I missed “brawn” unless a beer belly counts, only got a half point for “expensive flannel and leather boots” because I don’t buy overpriced clothing, and missed “beard oil” unless you count when I get grimy on a long trip without bathing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zey8567bcg

Last edited:
I've been looking at videos over on U-Tube, lot of guy's making holsters out of kydex, I like that "snap" when the pistol goes home into the holster. I'm thinking about making a clam shell sheath for that little hatchet. If I molded over enough of the blade, I probably wouldn't need any kind of closure system. Then to, I'd carry it in a pack or box.

The thing is I've never used the stuff and don't have any handle on what it's properties are.

I'm curious about how it might work for skid plates. I found a few things about its abrasion resistance but I can't make sense of the Boedeker site's numbers.

http://www.kydex.com/Uploads/Files/KYDEX_TB_105_SurfaceTextures_061412.pdf
http://www.boedeker.com/kydex-152ar.htm

OK, I'm only taking a temporary diversion from this thread for a minute. All this "lumbersexual" stuff has got me thinking that there must be some women out there who dig these lumbersexual guys, otherwise, they'd just be back to dressing in their skinny jeans with eye liner and makeup. I'm sure there are enough guys on this site to make a "lumbersexual" calender that we could sell in in those fancy axe stores to fundraise for canoetripping.net.

So here's my first two pics...The first one is me, about 3 years ago.

3 dollar wife beater and the free baseball hat I snitched from the school lost and found.

Next is my buddy, who is a real chainsaw master, he's like the spiderman of chainsawing, can cut upside down and hanging from a hydro pole.

Anyone else care to contribute.....could call the calendar "The Lumbermen of Canoetripping".:) (just kidd'n)

No Title

Does this count?

Attachments

• photo1581.jpg
    photo1581.jpg
    668.5 KB · Views: 0
No Title

I'm always happy to participate in a thread derailment! Back in the days when I even had a beard. Now that's it the hip thing to do I can't have one any more. I fully admit to being a partial slave to fads but the opposite of most people. My greatest fear is that solo canoeing will be the new rage and then I'll have to find a new hobby.

Alan

Attachments

• photo1582.jpg
    photo1582.jpg
    446.2 KB · Views: 0
dang, thems some fine looking he-men there, send the heart of any urban filly pitterpatting. But we are only up to April! Need 8 more. And you know what? No pictures of battoning with knives. That's just not manly, in my humble opinion. Us Lumbersexuals got a rep to maintain!

Yeah, no one can compete with that. Might as well just make it the 12 months of Mem calendar. What a stud.

Alan

Back