• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Inn to Inn paddling

One concern I would have about putting my own Inn to Inn trip together is what to do with your boat every night. Just because an Inn is close to the river doesn't mean that it is easily accessible. Even if you can get your boat from the water to the Inn you can't take it into your room and need to leave it somewhere. Either you will be leaving your boat by the river or in a parking lot. Not knowing that I have a safe place to leave my boat would create a lot of anxiety for me.

On a route like the Rogue River lodge to lodge trip I would think this wouldn't be a problem.
Theft on the Rogue is definitely not a problem. Because it's a whitewater run, few canoeists are even seen on the river. Within the permit season it's mostly rafters, and most of them wouldn't be capable of paddling a canoe out if they did try to steal it.

Equipment "loss" can be a problem though. One funny story was an I think in season permit run we did back in the '90s, and not the lodge-to-lodge run as we were camping. One night in an area that is famous for possible bear contacts, we hung our food, but had other kitchen stuff, an empty cooler among them, in camp. The black bears know that coolers contain food, so those are targeted. We had stacked some pots and pans on the cooler to make noise in case we had a "visitation event." We heard the clatter sometime before midnight. I and others got up quickly and chased the bear away. An hour or so later, we heard similar noises from another camp upstream. There are several sites in this area, some close together. The next morning we found out that the enterprising raft crew had anchored one of their rafts out in the river and had all their food in that raft to keep the bears out of it. Well, SURPRISE! Black bears can swim. They have claws and can climb up on rafts. Or at least attempt to. Popped tubes on the raft from bear claw punctures. Live and learn. I don't remember if they actually lost any equipment. Had some extensive patching on the raft to do, of course.

Even if you can get your boat from the water to the Inn you can't take it into your room

Oh yeah? Tell that to @paulh:

motel-jpg.129900

I take my canoe into my room. At the Hampton in Duluth, they let me put it in a meeting room.

I do recall that in 2020 or 2021, someone.portaging NFCT around Saranac had a pack (or 2?) stolen when he went back for canoe. A short portage.

And I always wonder why canoe theft is not a problem in Ely MN where there are canoes on the vast majority of cars and generally stacked everywhere.

Traveling from the Adirondacks NY to Whitehorse YT, most times it was with a 28' voyageur with multiple tie downs on top of a large SUV. Most would not have the means to carry and secure such a boat on another regular size vehicle unless it was towing a big flatbed trailer. One time when I transported a 23' C4, I tried to stay at smaller mom & pop B&Bs where I could see my vehicle and canoe parked nearby outside from my room window. In larger hotels I asked to have a room with a direct close view of my well lighted parking spot out my window.

I would think theft would be more likely in canoe country. We have transported boats over 200,000 miles and never had an issue. But motels for the most part were never in canoeing areas.

I do remember when someone stole the plug on the side of the Placid Boatworks building.. Not only heavy but as it was a form not a boat, it leaked.

Back