• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

Inn to Inn paddling

Reaction score
We are looking for Inn to Inn paddling plans or similar. Devoted wife is just not a tent camper!!! She is very athletic and up for anything that ends with a shower and dinner...and a wee dram.

This old(er) New York Times article is what set this notion in motion:

I realize there are all sorts of pay to play versions of what I seek. We are not so much interested in that.

Ideas?

Last edited:
As I noted, canals, like Erie Canal, could work. Rideau Canal seems possible too. (Google hotels on Rideau Canal) Maine coast, but that's primarily kayak and all I found were "packages" I thought were pricey. I suspect you might find portions of the North Forest Canoe Trail might accomodate this - New Hampshire and the Maine up a ways. Likewise the Connecticut River would have a lot of small towns to stop in.

The Penobscot River Paddling Trial has a website. It passes thru some small towns, a little Google investigation might find some bed and breakfasts along the river or nearby.
Also, the Google Saco River Bed and Breakfast Trail

Inn to Inn would certainly be a different experience and, in the east, it would probably be easier to find riverside lodging than places to legally camp. Bill's canal idea made me wonder about the Potomac / C&O and, lo & behold, you might not have to leave the state! (might even check this out myself someday)

PS: a little pricier but it would break up the 21 miles from lockhouse 49 to 28 into 2 shorter days.

the NFCT in Maine doesn't pass by inns with one exception..Between Attean Pond Lodge and the Birches on Moosehead is about a 40 mile paddle There is a camp on Long Pond and possibly one on Brassua Lake to break the trip up which would end at the Birches..a very very nice lodge with exquisite food. There are intermediate launches.

How were you going to shuttle?

the NFCT in Maine doesn't pass by inns with one exception..Between Attean Pond Lodge and the Birches on Moosehead is about a 40 mile paddle There is a camp on Long Pond and possibly one on Brassua Lake to break the trip up which would end at the Birches..a very very nice lodge with exquisite food. There are intermediate launches.

How were you going to shuttle?
Gamma, those lock houses are pretty amazing. A few are reputed to be haunted. I think paddling the C&O would be a good way to teach wife and the dog the basics. Thanks.

@yellowcanoe We are not sure yet. Some combination of rental cars or hire might work. There is always a way as long as the credit card is good ;)

Inn to inn paddling sounds like a good concept to me. I hope it works out for you.

I've lately been combining road trip, hotel rooms and day paddles in the Adirondacks. It may be a good option with your wife and will also have less of a chance for a bad experience for her. You won't get yourself in the position of having to paddle in bad weather or conditions, to make it to your destination and presumed reservation. With the road trip option, when the going gets tough, the tough go shopping.:)

al is right - lots of day paddle opportunities in ADK and lots of small towns with ons, bnbs, and short term rentals. Not the same as a multi-inn point to point, but an option for your needs.

I did attend a session at canoecopia on someone doing this in the fijords in Norway. (Same fellow who presented on kayaking Buffalo to Statute of Liberty.) And if you do this, it would be a great presentation topic at Canoecopia!

I like the idea. Reading MacGregor, he often stopped at farms or inns.
I once drove to Florida with a canoe on the car. I stayed in a budget motel and launched in a different body of water every day. If my wife ever does a canoe trip with me, there will have to be comfortable accommodations and nearby shopping.

Gamma, those lock houses are pretty amazing. A few are reputed to be haunted. I think paddling the C&O would be a good way to teach wife and the dog the basics. Thanks.

@yellowcanoe We are not sure yet. Some combination of rental cars or hire might work. There is always a way as long as the credit card is good ;)
Shuttle services are quite rare. Rental cars in canoe country non existent. We had a breakdown in Kokadjo and the tow was to Skowhegan 100 miles away ( nearest garage that could handle repair) and the nearest available rental car another 100 miles away in Portland. Actually cash is king. Not everyone has the ability ( connectivity) to process cards though that situation is improving.
We have had an RV for nine years and boats almost always accompany us on road trips. When we did not have an RV we had boats that went with us to Ontario and we did plenty of road trips while based in hotels or car camping. We are loading the boats and headed to Labrador and Newfoundland soon. We did this once without the RV and just stayed in lodging and paddled when we wished. Same for BC and Alaska.

A western USA trip that's often done inn-to-inn, though locally it's called "lodge-to-lodge," is the Rogue River in Southwestern Oregon.

Too Tall, this isn't a trip that you'd likely be interested in, partly because it's across the continent from you, next to 3000 miles away, but mainly because it's whitewater, and you hint that you're interested in lake or easy river trips. Others here might be interested, though with increased river interest the logistics are now probably harder than our trip many a moon back (late '80s). Scenery- and wildlife-wise it has to compare with the eastern trips mentioned, too. It's a federally designated Wild and Scenic stretch, with sightings of deer, river otters, and other animals possible, and if camping river runners aren't careful with food, a visit by black bears could liven up their trip. (We have tooth marks in a cooler to prove it; fortunately it was empty before Mr. Bear tried to get into it.) I don't think there are any year around human residents, only spring into fall lodge inhabitants.

The run is classed mostly a 2-3 run with a class 4 possible at some water levels.

Anyone interested who snags a permit for the Wild & Scenic stretch can see if they can book nights for their group, but it would surprise me without lots of lead time or possibly because of a cancellation. Never know though. Private trips (noncommercial) only require permits between May 15th and October 15th, so trips could be attempted outside of those dates, though not all lodges are open that early or late. I don't think any are open year around, but the few I looked at seem to have at least a couple weeks worth extra at each end.

This is a shorter run than the Connecticut River trip the NYT article describes, only about 36 miles unless you launch higher up, but it's also usually done in 3 days (sometimes less), which means either shorter days on the water or more time for poking about on your way. The Wild & Scenic section starts at Grave Creek and ends at Foster Bar, both of which offer easy road access. Grave Creek is about 11 miles below the little town of Galice, and Foster Bar is about 42 miles upstream of Gold Beach where the Rogue flows into the Pacific Ocean.

There are three or four lodges most used for overnighting, though other lodges exist, some of which are not as well placed for this endeavor. The first night is best spent at Black Bar Lodge, which is located on the south bank about 9 miles below the Grave Creek Launch site. You need to know where it is, as the buildings are not visible from the river. Their access trail starts 300 yards below Lower Black Bar Rapids. Black Bar Lodge does have (private?) road access, though it is reportedly 4WD. It is how their supplies come to the lodge, including propane for heat. I doubt that they accept drive-in clients. When we did our lodge-to-lodge run, Black Bar Lodge was not open year around, opened May 1st as I remember from our run. That could have changed. Most accommodations are rustic cabins of various sizes with private baths and showers. Electrical power is by generator that is turned off at 10 p.m., so bring a flashlight or headlamp for nighttime bathroom trips.

Marial Lodge is 24 miles downstream of Grave Creek, not far above the start of Mule Creek Canyon on the (north) right bank, and I'm pretty sure this one is visible from the river, though we've not stayed there. There is boat, hiking trail, and road access via Marial Road for supplies, but again I don't think drive-in clients are accepted. The lodge is open May 1st through November 15th, and accommodations are private rooms with bath and shower in the lodge complex. Power also by generator, but it reportedly stays on all night.

We have stayed at Paradise Lodge, also on the north bank at 26 miles below Grave Creek, shortly downstream of the bottom of Blossom Bar Rapids, and it is very visible from the river. Open April through mid-November. Accommodations are several separate cabins near the main lodge with different sized rooms and private baths. Power by generator, off at 10 p.m. They claim access is only by boat, hiking trail, and helicopter, but I know pilots of small planes who have flown in there in the past. They may not allow airstrip landings now? No road access. Supplies come in via jetboat from Gold Beach.

Another alternative I know little about is Half Moon Bar Lodge, just around the bend below Paradise Lodge, and across the river. They might be a little more expensive than Paradise. I've seen the place paddling by but otherwise don't know anything about it. Google for info if interested.

There are commercial rafting companies offering this lodge-to-lodge option. The trips I saw listed were at just under $1400 per person, but I'd figure at least $1500 a head after you include required costs they don't cover (that's $500 a day!). It also likely doesn't cover lodging the night before the launch, which any lodge-to-lodge tripper would expect. (?!CAMPING!?!? ME?) Anyone interested in commercial rafting this trip can Google "rogue river lodge to lodge rafting". Good luck.

There is a hiking and backpacking trail 40.5 miles long on the north side of the river. It is usually not very close to the river and the river can seldom be seen from it. Some campsites are near the river with river access. Most drinking water is from side streams. The trail can be used to access all the lodges along the river that I know of. Access via the Grave Creek boat ramp and Foster Bar, with near-midpoint access at mile 24 at the Marial Trailhead. (Search for the route to Marial OR if you want to drive there.) Black Bar Lodge on the south side of the river will ferry hikers over by reservation, though not in 2023 still because of Covid pandemic, so be sure to check and reserve in advance. Other lodges along the way could be used for hiker lodge-to-lodge accommodations.

As to "wee drams," I'm a teetotaler and have no clue, so check with the individual lodges used as to whether they supply or not and BYO if not. Check to make sure what's allowed. Most rafters, likely many lodge's main clientele, seem in my experience to be practicing alcoholics, so I'd assume most would accommodate this addiction. < HUGE GRIN >

The Russian River is a popular canoeing river in the wine country north of San Francisco. There are many lodges and inns along the river, as well as many wineries close by. In the early 80's my wife and I stayed at an inn right on the river. I had brought along my new Mad River Explorer and someone from the inn shuttled us several miles upstream. We then paddled back to the inn. Very pleasant experience.

For some Cajun country flavor, the Bayou Teche Paddle Trail might be a possibility. I think there are a few B&Bs along the Teche, but I'm not sure and don't see any listings on the paddle trail website: Bayou Teche Paddle Trail. The individual parish tourism bureaus may have more information on suitable accommodations. Places to stop for food or drinks are more abundant.

One concern I would have about putting my own Inn to Inn trip together is what to do with your boat every night. Just because an Inn is close to the river doesn't mean that it is easily accessible. Even if you can get your boat from the water to the Inn you can't take it into your room and need to leave it somewhere. Either you will be leaving your boat by the river or in a parking lot. Not knowing that I have a safe place to leave my boat would create a lot of anxiety for me.

On a route like the Rogue River lodge to lodge trip I would think this wouldn't be a problem.

Maybe, when you make the reservations, you could ask if they offer valet mooring... They might have suggestions as to where you can stick your canoe.

I'm probably more trusting than I should be but, worst case, I doubt a canoe would be more vulnerable cabled to a tree at the edge of the hotel's yard than tied to the roof rack in the parking lot. Maybe even safer as fewer people might notice it.

Like billconner said the first part of th nfct. You could stay at the raquette lake tap house, long lake inn, and then in saranac lake. That's 90 miles! Although you might have to spend a night out in between inns, there are plenty of lean to s to make it easier. Good luck!

Back