• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

You meet the nicest people on this forum!

Reaction score
central NYS - 10 miles from the Baseball Hall of F
Just a general "THANKS" to this forum. It was via this site that I was able to purchase a nice Placid Boatworks "Shadow" but, more importantly, also got to meet a truly wonderful individual. My wife and I traveled down to Shohola, PA yesterday to meet up with David Greenbaum, aka PotterDave, so he and I could paddle a bit as well as get the canoe. While there he was gracious enough to give us a tour of his shop, share some stories and just be a wonderful host.

If it weren't for this forum I doubt we ever would have met so I just want to public say thanks to David but also to the forum. It was a wonderful avenue for connecting. Should anyone else have any stories about folks they've met via this group, please feel free to share. Thanks!

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

Good news, Thanks for sharing that. I have met some great folks via paddling sites over the years, actually my experience has been most of the people I met on the net are honest and gracious folks, some of the best folks I have ever known.
Now every once in a while someone shows up asking for money to buy a canoe, but luckily they have been few and far between, and with just a click of the button they are history.
Thanks for sharing your nice experience, good to hear.

Snapper is right. I mentioned a trip I was planning to Robin up in the NE at the end of June in a PM and he offered to do the shuttle run for me. It is not an insignificant drive and his offer is what is making the 2 week trip possible. What a guy!! Thanks, Robin!
Dave

Thanks for the kind words Snapper. Spending time with you and Marie was a delight. I hope you love the boat and I look forward to crossing paddles with you in the future.

I also have to give a public thanks to stripperguy for helping me plan my ADK trip.

I'm looking forward to meeting both Robin and Mem this August as we make our way to G-Town to pick up a couple of canoes Robin is bringing with him for us. Robin is coming 1800 km NW for a solo trip and we are going 1000km East to meet up for the exchange.

Yes, it should be fun meeting you folks up there in Geraldton, Ontario.

I have a couple of canoes in my barn loft, one is a 1910 (give or take a couple of years) 17'B N Morris and the other a 1920 ish 17' Penobscot. The Morris is somewhat rare and very collectable, the Penobscot is a fine candidate for restoration. Unfortunatley, after I power washed the Morris, I found a bunch more cracked ribs, almost too many to consider restoring an average canoe. I could understand Mihun's disappointment when she replied to my email and pictures, but finding these canoes in Winnipeg, Manitoba is difficult, she would still buy them. I adjusted the price to my cost, and told her how I was going to get them there and the plans are now set.
I'm going to nest my 15' wood canvas Chestnut Chum (my tripping canoe)under one of the bigger canoes. Both the Morris and Penobscot have had the canvas removed, so they are quite a bit lighter than your average wood canvas canoe, and I plan on adding some support under my cross bars to prevent a broken part on the racks half way across northern Ontario.
Crossing the border should raise a few eyebrows, but these canoes look so bad to the average person, I don't anticipate any issues as far as value and import taxes. (unless the border person considers them firewood which is not allowed across the border:()
Here's the Morris, just after I got it home, a nice profile and very nice paddling tandem canoe. Mihun will have her hands full here, but from her previous restorations, I believe this canoe will be brought back to life in due time.

Here's the Penobscot

I would like to give a big shout out to stripperguy also. He helped me get started in building stripper canoes. Hoping to get started in a week or two. Some really great people in this forum.

Snapper is right. I mentioned a trip I was planning to Robin up in the NE at the end of June in a PM and he offered to do the shuttle run for me.
Dave

Last night Dave and his paddling partner Ralph came up from Maryland and stayed here before we drove up to the headwaters of the Connecticut River (Canaan, VT) this morning. As we where sitting around Friday evening telling Veterans stories from the 60's, just on que for two guys heading off for a couple of weeks camping, a black bear walked thru my back yard right in front of them..., that ought to help them sleep tonight!
A couple of real gentleman, we had fun getting acquainted and the trip up went flawlessly. At the put in, it was obvious these two guys had their "stuff" together, their outfit was no doubt time tested and these guys know what they are doing. Kinda wish I was sharing their first campsite with them, maybe down the road.
Dave04 on the right, Ralph on the left with an 18' 6" Wenona from Daves retirement job (he works in a paddling shop)

Heading out

Very narrow Connecticut River here

Back