• Happy National No Socks Day! 🧦🚫👣

Who's been sick while tripping?

Mikes portapotty lineup picture reminds me of the time I met a guy in checkerboard patterned pants on a trail day hiking off the Green. Two days later he was sitting on the aluminum groover sort of like the one on the right of Mikes Groover Lineup. I recognized the pants His group was on a sandbar .. no privacy but frankly few people pass by. I said as we paddled by " Hi.. nice to see you again"! Its not a big deal.. you can't see a thing unless you gawk.

my worst incident was sort of a mix of both accident and illness. Several of us had gone in for a quick weekend of paddling and fishing. Each of us took a meal for the group and I got dinner, so I brought my dutch oven and served Roast beef au juice with all the fixin's. Next morning I woke up with the worst headache of my life, I couldn't move without dizziness and nausea, my neck was on fire, a cricket chirping sounded like a jackhammer, and my eyes felt like I was attacked by a laser!
Everyone said it was my cooking, but no-one else was sick. luckily I have a great family doctor who is bush-wise, so I had a few heavy-duty pain killers and muscle relaxers, and plenty of gravol, and after a couple of hours I was good to go (very slowly). the following week, I went in to see the doctor as I was still dizzy and my neck still burned. Went for x-rays only to discover that I had a fractured C-2 vertebrae from a previous car accident and carrying my canoe had aggravated it!
That was my first and last trip of the year (12 weeks recuperation) and a good bargaining point with my wife for an ultralight canoe :)

Not too badly, but yes, I've been sick on a trip... happened just a couple weekends ago on a backpacking trip... probably over-exertion, maybe a food bug... don't know... First overnight was fine, at the trailhead, but might have had some sketchy bbq chicken... next day, I was fine for a 3 mile hike with pack, got my camp set up, and then suddenly felt queasy and had a slight headache... thought it was dehydration, so I pushed fluids for an hour... about a quart or so. Temps were only in the 40s/50s, so I wasn't sweating much. Regardless, I lost my lunch, mostly water (which tells me it wasn't the chicken), slept for 2 hours, woke up weak as a newborn chick, but felt much better... helped my buddies drag in a little more firewood, ate dinner, and went to bed all as normal... woke up the next morning just fine.

I don't carry a very extensive first aid kit, but one thing I do carry is a pain reliever and some pepto... I didn't use them, but what happened to me could have been much worse, and I could have dehydrated very easily.

Back