• Happy Tear the Tags Off the Mattress Day! 🛏️✂️🏷️🚔🚨👮

Where can I paddle if . . .

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
. . . I don't want any possible contact with bears, sharks, sting rays, alligators, crocodiles or poisonous snakes?

you forgot the worst animal of all. People.
Might I suggest your own swimming pool.

Now I realize this thread is a bit sarcastic but aren't those things we seek to see? After all part of every canoe trip is wildlife..

There are other things your forgot. Leeches, mice , scorpions, cougars, feral hogs spiders

. . . I don't want any possible contact with bears, sharks, sting rays, alligators, crocodiles or poisonous snakes?

Well you sure don't want to come to Louisiana. Not any croc's, but we make up for it with an outstanding gator population, and everything else on your list.

No, I don't go paddling to see wildlife, and anyone who does will be disappointed 99.9% of the time. Except for birds. I can see more wildlife on my property in a day than I've ever seen on any canoe trip. I don't have a pool.

The topic is an animal population geography challenge specifically, and only, for the six feared and fatal species listed.

Canoe trippers, like all travelers in history, seek out new places to visit for a multitude of different reasons, purposes, objectives and goals -- not only for themselves, but for their children and other loved ones. Finding a geographic safe space from the Six Satanic Species is surely one such reasonable goal.

I'll suggest the Onyx River, but I'm sure there are several other paddling venues that meet the criteria.

Onyx-River.jpg

Last edited:

Bears - that's a tough one in the North American continent. Unless you substitute "possible" with "probable". The others are easy to avoid - with the right timing. Oh - but you said "contact". That makes it easier (parsing now).

Bears - that's a tough one in the North American continent. Unless you substitute "possible" with "probable". The others are easy to avoid - with the right timing. Oh - but you said "contact". That makes it easier (parsing now).

I expect that Glenn meant that rabble-rousing tongue in cheek, but going with the even looser “Probable contact” my answer is “almost anywhere”.

Or at least anywhere I have paddled in the lower 48. I’ve seen bears from the Carolinas to the Adirondacks to the Rockies, but never had a problem. Seen poisonous snakes from water moccasins to copperheads to sundry rattlers, never had a problem. Paddled with gators all over the south, and bull sharks in the Everglades. Never had a problem. I have not been around North American crocodiles (someday), but have passed atop rays.

Never a problem. Those non-threatening encounters are high on my list of critter memories.

Aside from bugs the worst critter contact I have had has consistently been with smaller animals comfortable invading a campsite. Especially the order Rodentia.

Freaking squirrels and chipmunks mostly, chewing into packs, dry bags or even bucket lids ISO a free meal.

A blowdown site in the Adirondacks that was overrun with woodland jumping mice. Bold woodland jumping mice everydamn where that got into everydamn thing; pots, pans, shoes, bags that I swear honey were only open for a minute. It would have been more comical without my wife’s profound mouse phobia. I kinda though they were charming to watch.

Porcupines eating fishing rod handles for salt sweat or (not me) devouring the bungees on sea kayaks. Beware the Rodentia.

Some smaller Carnivora as well. Despite the sharks and gators and pythons the dang thirsty raccoons are the biggest headache in the Everglades. And ever where else, even when not thirsty; picture a raccoon waddling off upright holding an entire loaf of bread grasped in his front legs. Score, Rocky is eating tonight.

Never had a skunk problem, and they will saunter boldly into camp. Also kinda charming. Porcupines and skunks though, eh, I don’t trip with a dog.

Some sensible food storage practices (and water storage in the Glades) will eliminate most adverse critter contact. I am far less concerned with the miniscule chance that something is going to kill and eat me than the likelihood that a squirrel is going to gnaw his way into my food storage or chew up gear ISO an evening snack.

Or, out west, if you leave meal fixings out too long, a crafty Raven.

you forgot the worst animal of all. People.

Ain’t that sadly the truth.

No, I don't go paddling to see wildlife, and anyone who does will be disappointed 99.9% of the time.

The topic is an animal population geography challenge specifically, and only, for the six feared and fatal species listed.

Canoe trippers, like all travelers in history, seek out new places to visit for a multitude of different reasons, purposes, objectives and goals -- not only for themselves, but for their children and other loved ones. Finding a geographic safe space from the Six Satanic Species is surely one such reasonable goal.

I'll suggest the Onyx River, but I'm sure there are several other paddling venues that meet the criteria.

Onyx-River.jpg

Seriously?
I think someone needs a nap.

Read an article earlier today about the widespread and sometimes unexpected damaging results when an ecosystem is missing it's indigenous top predator (think cougar, wolf, grizzly etc). The smaller predators (think coyotes, foxes etc.) or mesopredators then cause an imbalance in the food chain populations, habitat disturbance etc because there's no top pred to keep their numbers in check. An example of wolves in Yellowstone was given and described; their reintroduction in 1995 having contributed to a rebound of elk herds and their subsequent redistribution and changes to grazing habitat for the better, and the suppression of coyote numbers leading to rebounding small mammal populations etc Anyway, my longwinded blab is just to say that these satanic species, harbingers of hate, messengers of malice, play an incredibly important role in keeping our wild places healthily wild. Our friend knows this, he's just having fun, but I must admit to agreeing with him a bit. Last month in the Albertan eastern slopes I walked some trails with family, a small grandson racing ahead, falling behind, his granddad trying to be ever vigilant against cougars and bears. One week after our return home here in the east I read about grizzly sows encountering hikers and a cougar spotted on the very trails we rambled. I wish I'd seen them, but I'm also relieved not to have had that privilege.

Last edited:
No Title

Wow, that's too bad you were in the Everglades and didn't see any American croc's. There are a bunch of them scattered about, largest concentration are around n/ne Florida bay, but I've seen them along the gulf coast up near EC and the 10K islands too.

Wouldn't want to be floppin' around in the water with a big one nearby, but they are pretty chillaxed when you ease by them laid up on the banks. Unlike many of the gators I've never had an issue with croc's begging for food a foot or so from your gunwales either. Way too many nuisance gators around the chickee's and camp sites these days. Croc's are very cool to see though.

This old dude used to own the Whitewater Bay ramp for years, this pic was early 90's. About 5 years or so one of the rangers told me he's since left us for saltier marshes in the sky. Back in the day we'd come in at night from snook fishing the passes up near Shark River and have to load and unload the boat and walk to the cleaning shack with his happy arse watching us the whole time. He was a beast for sure...

Attachments

• photo6956.jpg
    photo6956.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 0
NY City Harbor should work for avoiding those six, although they have their own cretins to worry about.

I was told there was nothing along the Wanganui River (New Zealand) that would hurt me, and that includes ticks and poison ivy/oak. None of your big six either. Indeed, I spent a couple days paddling it, and had no encounters with any nastiness.

Speaking of ticks, I'm more scared of them than any of your big six. You might not see them 99% of the time, but don't worry, that 1% will find you.

For 20+ years I fished in my pond with my feet hanging over the side of the canoe. One day there was a big splash from behind me, I figured muskrat or maybe a beaver. I turned around just in time to see a huge snapping turtle dive under the canoe. No more dangling toes in the water.

Do not forget beaver attacks, (they can kill), wild pigs, and manatee. A couple of us here have fallen prey to the manatee. It is all about risk management. Often wounder which is safer. The drive to the water or on the water?

Besides bears and poisonous snakes in my front yard. Alligators in the work parking lot. Lately I have to go to the wilderness to be safe.

Don't forget the Northern Pike... :) A few years ago, the big local story was about a city dude in a rental canoe that accidentally caught a large pike by dangling his foot over the side. He and his buddy took the fish in to the hospital, (They thought that maybe it should be tested for rabies...?!?) so in addition to the 27 stitches, he ended up with a citation for taking a fish not caught in the mouth with legal tackle, and taking a fish under the legal minimum size limit. Can't recall if he actually had a fishing license at the time.

icedragonmx Where is that? Its beautiful.

Back