Where can I paddle if . . .

It's so hard to follow CWDH
But there is an island in NZ that is the trashiest place on earth
Seems it sticks out in the Pacific Gyre
If Glenn funds us we ought to
Build a dugout fleet under the guidance of the boatbuilders here
Do a massive cleanup

Who we feed the plastic trash to ?

. . . I don't want any possible contact with bears, sharks, sting rays, alligators, crocodiles or poisonous snakes?

Well, honestly, just about any freshwater river or lake in the State of RI fits that bill. True, we occasionally see the wandering yearling bear in the spring, none of whom seem to be able to read a road map, but the chances of running into one of the 3 or 4 we might have in the state at any one time is so slim so as to mathematically be zero.

Stay out of the Bay if you want to avoid sharks (most of which are harmless dogfish), or the ocean, of course, and you're good to go. We even have a paddle-accessible campsite or two.

Well, honestly, just about any freshwater river or lake in the State of RI fits that bill. True, we occasionally see the wandering yearling bear in the spring, none of whom seem to be able to read a road map, but the chances of running into one of the 3 or 4 we might have in the state at any one time is so slim so as to mathematically be zero.

Stay out of the Bay if you want to avoid sharks (most of which are harmless dogfish), or the ocean, of course, and you're good to go. We even have a paddle-accessible campsite or two.

A most interesting and excellent on topic response.

I didn't know rattlers went extinct in Rhode Island and that it had no other poisonous snakes. Maine has long had the reputation of having no poisonous snakes -- a claim about which I'm somewhat skeptical -- but it's a Dante's inferno of black bears.

I live on what used to be called Rattlesnake Pond. I look at Rattlesnake Mountain from my kitchen too. I can only assume there were some escapees from the extirpation
Not on topic but I used to paddle Rhode Island maybe a dozen times. There is a poisonous flora problem. Every trip ended with a case of poison ivy.

Well Glenn, in Northern Ontario we are devoid of five of the Satanic Six, and the bears...well, they're a mild bunch who would rather wrestle with you than eat you, more like a big dog. Probably even convince them to hop into the canoe with you and go for a paddle.

You have completely forgotten the Seventh Satanic Panic, in the form of the Northern Canadian Cougar. I have been attacked by several of these while on canoe trips, and although I have managed to escape from most of them, it hasn't been without cost. Here's a typical specimen.

However, the last one i wrassled with beat me fair and square, and shown below is how it all ended up.

So beware them Cougars, they're fun to wrassle with, but expensive to part with, if you wrassle with enough of them, you might not be able to afford to retire till yur 90.

Last edited:
Fortunately or unfortunately, I've never encountered a cougar or a cougar on a wilderness canoe trip.

I will be starting a whole new thread on the Anti-Christ of the Animal Kingdom.

A most interesting and excellent on topic response.

I didn't know rattlers went extinct in Rhode Island and that it had no other poisonous snakes. Maine has long had the reputation of having no poisonous snakes -- a claim about which I'm somewhat skeptical -- but it's a Dante's inferno of black bears.

http://www.dem.ri.gov/programs/bnatr...f/risnakes.pdf

I think the last sighting of a Timber Rattler in RI was in the late 1960's. Copperheads have been documented nearby in CT, but never recorded in RI.

-rs

Back