• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

How do you keep a dog cool on summer paddle trips?

Reaction score
If you paddle during the heat of the summer, do you bring your dog, and if so how do you keep the dog from overheating?

The local clubs here in south Louisiana tend to have fewer trips in summer months due to the heat, but we do have some paddling during the summer. About 6 years ago I inherited Maggie, a 19 lb cairn terrier, and have been taking her canoeing with me since then. She is the first dog I’ve had. Maggie rides right in front of me at my knees in the canoe. I had thought about making a shade covering for her and one time tried draping an old white T-shirt over a couple of arched pool noodles to try out the idea. That turned out to make an oven rather than a cool shady place. Making a canopy high enough to allow good air flow underneath would interfere with my view ahead and also with any cross strokes that might be needed so I didn’t pursue the canopy idea. At first Maggie didn’t seem bothered too much by heat, but she is now 14 or 15 years old and seems less tolerant of temperature extremes.

One time last summer we were on a creek with no shade and I was concerned that she was getting too hot. To cool her off I dipped a towel in the creek and draped it over her. She generally doesn’t like being wet, but she didn’t protest the cool wet towel so apparently she really needed the cooling. She has gradually gotten more comfortable going into water since I’ve been taking her canoeing but I usually try to keep her away from shore - there are too many places with alligators that would see her as a perfect snack so I don’t want to encourage swimming (and in some places the water is full of algae or other gunk not good for swimming). Of course I keep a water bowl available for her to make sure she has water to drink. I know her canoeing days are numbered but I'd like to bring her with me as long as possible if she can be kept safe and reasonably comfortable. Any suggestions?

When I come across golf umbrellas at yard sales and such I grab them. Tried the noodle thing with the same results. I just jam the handle in between packs and such and give the dog shade. He always leans over the side for a drink, but we have a Nalgene "dog bottle" for when the water is gross.

Being in NY I can't fathom the alligator issue, but many folks on here have paddled gator country and I am sure they will have good input.

We usually bring multiple dogs. Our water in the West is cold so wet just keep em wet.

I would dunk my dog in the water and then lift her back in the boat. She didn't like it one bit but it was better than the alternatives (stay home or get heat stroke). It would take her about 3 seconds to get over it.

Alan

Up here in New England, there aren't too many predators like alligators to worry about in the water, so our dog goes for frequent, supervised swims. That keeps her cool. When that isn't practical, such as when we are on the water for long open water crossings or on rivers without many good places to stop, we keep a small bedsheet so we can soak it and drape it over her, which keeps her cool with evaporative cooling. Sort of similar to the towel trick the O.P. suggested. A friend of ours has also built a PVC-framed canopy for her boat to provide shade, and while it does interfere somewhat with her vision it seems to work OK for the dogs.

Back