• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

What PFD do you use?

Christy, good on ya. Not just in having a comfortable PFD that fits, but in having decent quality spares on hand for friends and family.

40+ years of PFD’s have come and gone, with the quality ones that fit some immediate family member kept for alt-waters or off season use, or as loaners. Eh, we still have a couple decent youth-sized ones for visiting family.

All of the old orange horsecollars are decades gone to Scout Troops and youth groups. The old hi-float Harishoks that replaced them went to a niece and husband with a wedding gift canoe, along with paddles, dry bags, etc.

The kid size stuff my sons outgrew mostly went to friends and family with younger offspring. Other ex PFD’s were included in a used boat sale along with decent mid-grade paddles, “thrown in” after a price for the canoe was negotiated. Especially if I got the sense the buyer’s next stop was Wal-Mart or Dicks.

Isn't the purpose for the big flotation area on the front is that you're more prone to turn on to your back.....hence your face is up instead of down....? I'd think thats a good thing........coronaboy... hi Mike...Conk

That is the theory but we tried it and it didnt actually work too well. My theory is that I like it to be easy to paddle with, and keep me afloat when I end up swimming. If I figure I will be unconscious then I use the red one to make it easier to find the body.
I need to go swimming with my new one, and karin's mustang floater coat, to see how they perform.

I'd like an upgrade to my middle zipper model. It doesn't adjust easily. I'm paying attention to these reviews.
Makes perfect sense a PFD should be comfortable enough to be worn always.

Last edited:
There are lots of good modern ones. Retire the old vests. The flotation can age after awhile.
I really like zippered pockets for truck keys, fire starter, compass, etc. I like a tab for a knife to be permanently mounted on a life vest. Comfort is everything. Spend the money.

I went on some river trips with a guy that liked to fish and wore hip waders a lot. He would "forget to put on his vest." He would have it on but unzipped. I tried to explain the danger of waders and no vest in moving water. To no avail. I finally just stopped tripping with him.

There are lots of good modern ones. Retire the old vests. The flotation can age after awhile.
I really like zippered pockets for truck keys, fire starter, compass, etc. I like a tab for a knife to be permanently mounted on a life vest. Comfort is everything. Spend the money.

All good points.

When decommissioning an old PFD it's worth tearing it open and checking if the foam can be harvested for outfitting purposes. I have a nice, cushy pair of knee pads that were once breast plates in an old Extrasport PFD. If the foam is of good quality it may last longer than the sun-exposed nylon fabric (and if it isn't, thank goodness you retired the vest).

When decommissioning an old PFD it's worth tearing it open and checking if the foam can be harvested for outfitting purposes. I have a nice, cushy pair of knee pads that were once breast plates in an old Extrasport PFD. If the foam is of good quality it may last longer than the sun-exposed nylon fabric (and if it isn't, thank goodness you retired the vest).

I took apart one of our ancient orange horsecollar PFDs years ago out of curiosity, the kapok floatation was inside a groady vinylish bag. Not really useful for much, but interesting.

Drifting off the PFD topic I take apart and save parts from any decommissioned gear; old packs and tents and the like, just to save the buckles and connectors. Old tent poles have come in handy for lots of uses, as has the no-see-um screening.

I and many of my canoe racing friends really like the Kokatat Orbit model. It has front pockets and is very comfortable to paddle in for many hours at a time.

My daughter went through a BSA waterfront director training program to certify for being hired for a summer at a BSA resident summer camp in the Adirondacks. Being an attractive young blonde, the first question the all older male council camp committee asked before their approval of her becoming their first ever female waterfront director was: "what is she going to wear?" Upon arrival at the camp, the first thing she did was to document and slash apart all of the old unserviceable unsafe PFDs, never to be used again, so that new ones had to be immediately purchased. She was never questioned again on her methods.

Having said that, as a result of recently certifying as a swift water/flood rescue technician, I just purchased a Mustang rescue specific PFD for myself and my SAR team.

Last edited:
After so many positive reviews on the V-8, I got one, deeply discounted. It is indeed comfortable and terrific for warm weather.

I have tried a whole collection, bought on sale in the winter months. Used for various friends and family from time to time. What you are wearing underneath makes a difference. It takes some time on the water to really decide about the fit and feel. It is not rocket science, but it is not all that cut and dried either, being somewhat subjective. Some start to bind or irritate in various places after a long stretch of paddling. Some feel good on land but not in the water. Some just make me feel like a dork.

(Kind of like paddles, come to think of it)

Go to a good outfitter is best, or buy several styles from reputable manufacturers deeply discounted and use each of them for a while, is my suggestion.

Another Astral V-8 owner here who appreciates its excellent ventilation and comfort. My one complaint about it is that the 2 pockets are pretty minimal.

After so many positive reviews on the V-8, I got one, deeply discounted. It is indeed comfortable and terrific for warm weather.

I have tried a whole collection, bought on sale in the winter months. Used for various friends and family from time to time. What you are wearing underneath makes a difference. It takes some time on the water to really decide about the fit and feel. It is not rocket science, but it is not all that cut and dried either, being somewhat subjective. Some start to bind or irritate in various places after a long stretch of paddling. Some feel good on land but not in the water. Some just make me feel like a dork.

(Kind of like paddles, come to think of it)

Go to a good outfitter is best, or buy several styles from reputable manufacturers deeply discounted and use each of them for a while, is my suggestion.

Dave, if I found a deeply discounted V8 I’d be tempted to buy one as a spare, family or loaner PFD. On an outfitter shop test fit, with some store seated paddle swinging, the Kokatat Bahia fit my (lack of) physique a little more comfortably than the V8.

Yes, the layers underneath matter, and test fitting a PFD while wearing a tee shirt may not demonstrate much for off season layered paddling. I still opt for our full coverage PFD’s in winter, not just for the frigid water high float aspect, they are much warmer than a mesh backed summer-sweat PFD.

A “deeply discounted” PFD from a well regarded manufacturer may simply be last year’s model and every bit as good as the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] generation version.

Permit regulations for some western river require one spare PFD “per group”; even on a solo permit “group of one” you still need to carry a spare PFD. I brought a (not very comfortable) spare on trips, and realized that if I actually needed to wear that spare I would not be happy for long.

REI Outlet had a Kotatat mesh back PFD on sale dirt cheap, less than $30 IIRC. Nice PFD with modern features and adjustments. Fits fine and doesn’t take up too much room in storage.

Like you said, it is not rocket science and is kinda like paddle selection. And boat choice; selecting the right PFD for the season and waters may mean having more than one. I love our full coverage high-floats in winter, but I’m sure as heck not wearing those in the sweaty dog days of summer.

And actually wearing the thing is the most important part.

Switching from Kokatat Orbit Tour (now discontinued, I believe) to the Kokatat Hustle.
I haven’t had a chance to use it yet, but I am looking forward to testing it out.

Back