• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

What PFD do you use?

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm looking to replace the uncomfortable PFD that came with the canoe I bought secondhand. Just wandering what brands and models you guys have had good luck with. My current PFD chafes under my arms, so I'm leaning toward something with a lot of freedom of arm movement with minimal pockets, pouches, etc.

Thanks

Kokatat Orbit. I have paddled many races, including 1000 miles down the Yukon River while wearing this PFD continuously. All of my canoe team partners also wear this model PFD, an it is very common among racers. Tomorrow I leave for another Yukon River Quest with it.

Several threads on this already. Here's one.

http://www.canoetripping.net/forums...ions/general-discussion/51479-what-s-your-pfd

I use an Astral YTV. Very simple and comfortable. Absolutely no chafing, it's got tons of arm room. NRS Ninja is very roomy too, but I didn't like it as much as the Astral. Fiddly straps.

Try searching by using google, type your search term followed by: site:canoetripping.net and it will search all of the forum.

Yep an astral v-8. I used to hate hot uncomfortable pfds and usually didn't wear mine. I wear my new v-8 all the time now, and sometimes even forget I'm wearing it! My wife is very happy.
Turtle

So what kind of paddling. Only flat water, some moving water, white water, wilderness remote trips?

What work best for me might not work for you at all.... What I always tell students, is to go tray as many as possible in store and see if the store/outfitter rents what he sells then you can get a few to try ou ton the water!

Thanks for all the input guys. I ended up going with an Astral V-8, as it seemed the least bulky and most ventilated of the models available at my local REI. I guess we'll see on the inaugural trip next weekend!

One unexpected advantage of the V-8 is that the bulky, Quasimodo looking floatation high in back of your shoulders meant for kayak seatback clearance provides a padded shelf to put the front of a solo canoe seat on when carrying the boat.

I have a Lotus PFD that has a side zipper. If I were to make a new purchase, I would go with either what I already have with the zipper in front or maybe an NRS PFD. I actually won an NRS jacket a few years ago and really like how it's constructed. I exchanged it for one that fits my wife (I'm an XL and she's a small/medium) and she really likes it. Neither jacket rides up, chafes or is uncomfortable so I'd be happy to recommend either one.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

I think my next PFD( if they still make it when I need a new one) will be a Salus Proto, I tried it at the shop. and it is quite nice. I really like the fact that every thing is contained inside the zippered flap, really slimline! I just wish the same would be available in 17-19lbs of float! but can't have everything...

I just did a paddle today in near 90deg weather with my v-8 on-and didn't get overheated! I could never have done this in my old pfd's.

Thanks for all the input guys. I ended up going with an Astral V-8, as it seemed the least bulky and most ventilated of the models available at my local REI. I guess we'll see on the inaugural trip next weekend!

This is the one I use (Astral V-8) and is worn during the warm days with great comfort. The old PDF would be sitting at loose the bottom of the boat so this new vented style wins hands down.

Ya All the ventilation was one of the main things that drew me to the V8. Leaving for an overnight trip this Friday, so I'm excited to try it out for a full day on the water.

Hey everyone, I'm looking to replace the uncomfortable PFD that came with the canoe I bought secondhand. Just wandering what brands and models you guys have had good luck with. My current PFD chafes under my arms, so I'm leaning toward something with a lot of freedom of arm movement with minimal pockets, pouches, etc.

Late to the discussion, but most often, especially in warm weather, a 1[SUP]st[/SUP] generation Kokatat Bahia Tour, slightly different pocket-wise from the current same-name model. Occasionally, especially on moving river runs or winter paddling, a more full coverage PFD.

The V-8 was in the running, but the Bahia won out on physique fit and adjustment comfort.

But that really matters not a wit. PFD’s, even beyond intended use (whitewater canoe, ocean kayak, general purpose) PFD’s are as personal as buying shoes that fit your feet. I can’t do that on-line, I need to visit a well stocked brick & mortar store to actually try stuff on.

No diss on REI, but is there a decent outfitter shop within an hour’s + drive of Andover MN? Think future canoeing purchases, like paddles, gear and outfitting bits. REI is fine for what they carry, but a real paddling shop should have better selection, and hopefully paddler knowledgeable staff to help guide your choices.

Independent paddling shop outfitters are going the way of the dodo. It’ll be a sad day when all that’s left is REI, BassPro, Gander Mountain, or crapshoot on-line ordering and return when it doesn’t fit. Support your local outfitter if you are lucky enough to have one still in business.

I have a Lotus PFD that has a side zipper. If I were to make a new purchase, I would go with either what I already have with the zipper in front

I am apparently not smart enough to put on a side zip PFD. I attempted to try one on at an Adirondack outfitter and became so hopelessly entangled that I needed shop assistance to extract myself. That was an embarrassing nope.

I don't know if anyone is using the self inflating type PFDs but I want to pass this along. A father and son flipped their canoe on a local lake up here this week and neither of their PFDs inflated. The father sunk and drowned before help arrived, sounds like he had the wrong PFD.

I don't know if anyone is using the self inflating type PFDs but I want to pass this along. A father and son flipped their canoe on a local lake up here this week and neither of their PFDs inflated. The father sunk and drowned before help arrived, sounds like he had the wrong PFD.

Self-inflating PFD’s are also not legal, even as a mandated spare, on some permitted US rivers.

There are some other nuances to PFD legality; pull over PFD’s (no zipper or buckle connection) are not legal if not actually worn in some (maybe many) States. While I wear my PFD 95% of the time, and always start with it on, if it is 100F, humid as heck and I’m on flat shallow waters my risk avoidance may deem heat stroke more of a concern than capsizing in 12 inches of calm bathwater.

No Title

Ok....after years of waffling and being picky I finally bought a decent PFD for paddling. NRS Vapor. I got it at Wilderness Supply in Winnipeg. I needed a spare for the nieces trip last week so I thought instead of another POS that I would not wear, I should see if there was one that I liked. I had seen some Mustang products last winter that were ok so I had that in mind.

My main issue with the usual style like karin has is that the flotation pads are small in area and they have to double them up to make them large enough and they end up being these two huge mounds in front. Not that there is anything wrong with having huge mounds in front, I am just not used to that. The NRS one has a large pad in the back and that allows them to use a thinner one in front. One other thing they do is to NOT have a zipper up the middle. This helps a lot too. Instead, they have QR buckles on the right side. Fully adjustable. Adjustable shoulder straps as well. And one big pocket up front that fit my camera and fire starter very easily.

So, Danger Woman is finally geared up with a suitable PFD that I will, and did, wear any time I am on the water. In fact, I quickly forgot that I even had it on. Which is the main criteria I had. This one is a winner.

Christy

Attachments

• photo7466.jpg
    photo7466.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 2
Back