• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

New Rain jacket?

Good call Mike. The only on-line clothing I ever bought was from Empire Canvas, and they took all of my measurements and made it a custom fit. I have found that the definition of Large, XL and XXL has considerable shrunk over years. It's a pet peve of mine...I know I'm overweight, but I'm not a contender for The Biggest Loser yet. 15 years ago, when I was around the same size I am now, a large was fine. Now I have to get a XXL, and it's like a dang skirt with arms that are four inches too long! I've got to find a hobbit store!

Yep, ordering online can be a challenge...

With brands I buy on a regular basis I usually feel safe getting somethings online. I bought a pair on pants and a hat from Outdoor Research lately and couldn't believe how far off they were! I've been wearing XL pants of theirs for years but the last pair I couldn't even get on. They were more like a medium - way off. I always wear a small sized hat, so that's what I ordered. Not even close. Maybe for a infant it was a small... I reordered the hat as a large and it still didn't fit.

Outdoor Research is off my mail order list now... Too bad, I love their stuff.

I have found that the definition of Large, XL and XXL has considerable shrunk over years. It's a pet peve of mine...I know I'm overweight, but I'm not a contender for The Biggest Loser yet. 15 years ago, when I was around the same size I am now, a large was fine. Now I have to get a XXL, and it's like a dang skirt with arms that are four inches too long! I've got to find a hobbit store!

I am in the same big boy boat, and have noticed the same sizing trend. I seriously doubt my shoulders have bulked that much in the last decade, but where a large or XL once fit my upper body I now need an XXL to have unrestricted range of motion.

I bought a pair on pants and a hat from Outdoor Research lately and couldn't believe how far off they were! I've been wearing XL pants of theirs for years but the last pair I couldn't even get on. They were more like a medium - way off. I always wear a small sized hat, so that's what I ordered. Not even close. Maybe for a infant it was a small... I reordered the hat as a large and it still didn't fit.

Outdoor Research is off my mail order list now... Too bad, I love their stuff.

I think the single worst article of clothing for XL type sizing is long underwear bottoms, or at least synthetic-type long underwear. I have XL and even XXL long underwear bottoms and the elastic waistband sizing is beyond miscut comprehension. The waistband opening is the size of my thigh. A pair of XXL capilene long underwear bottoms fit my tall skinny son perfectly. Seriously, there is no waist band sizing difference between Large and XXL?

BTW, having just returned from trying on every dang rain jacket in REI I can confirm your observations about Outdoor Research XL and XXL sizing. And I did some comparison test fits between identically sized jackets that was revealing.

I payed a fortune a few years ago for a LL Bean goretex canoe parka. It comes down almost to my knees, and in warmish weather it's all I wear for rain. I just write off everything lower on my legs and wear shorts and sandals. It really works and doesn't leak. having the bottom open gives lots of ventilation to beat the clammys. I don't use the hood as I prefer a wide brimmed hat. I just tighten up the hood drawstring to get it out of the picture. I think REI now makes a similar length parka, but I can't testify to it otherwise.
Turtle

Rain jacket test fits and travails

BTW, having just returned from trying on every dang rain jacket in REI I can confirm your observations about Outdoor Research XL and XXL sizing. And I did some comparison test fits between identically sized jackets that was revealing.

I made the trip to REI this morning. Good part #1, I had no problem returning the Marmot Precip.

Good part #2, I spent a good hour trying on every dang rain jacket and waterproof hardshell in the store.

Great part #3, mid-morning weekday the REI was not busy, and I had an excellent sales guy helping me. He actually knew his stuff about various Gore-tex, E-vent and etc materials, breathability, durability, propensity to flake, design features and etc. And he kind of laughingly acknowledged the under-sizing phenomenon of off-shore garment manufacturing.

Every once and a while REI turns up a winner on staff. And customers notice. Steve Beck in the REI clothing, come on down. I’ll happily spend 5 minutes composing a Kudos e-mail to REI Timonium and cc Corporate. I do that for service or retail hirelings who impress me with personable and knowledgeable customer service skill at their job.

From my University days I know those letters or e-mails do go into the personnel file, and are recognized when it comes to considering salary and promotion. For folk who go above and beyond even a simple e-mail kudos carries more weight than you might think

Back to REI. They had a dozen different rain jackets and hard shells in stock in my one-over-size.

I went full MacGrady analysis and tried on dang near every one. The various test fit observations were so revealing that the Steve kept coming back to talk about sundry fit and features, and when I narrowed it down he found them in size, including one stock room inventory retrieval.

Observations:

Just for funsies I tried on a couple of identically sized Marmot Precips. None fit as I would have liked, but there was noticeable difference in the fit between “identical” sizes of the same Precips, especially in my problematic shoulder span. Methinks that the fabric patterns sewn together in Chinese factories are not, um, precisely cut to laser exacting dimensions. Just sew that crap together and put an estimated size label on it to fill the order.

Even a 3XL Precip was too narrow across the shoulder, and didn’t provide any difference in restriction of movement from an XXL. It did have room for my gut and for donning under layers. And enough room for my arms to be four inches longer if I actually wanted my hands to extend out from the sleeves.

Therein lies the garment curse of the Endomorph.

http://www.britannica.com/science/endomorph

Dammit, even the Encyclopedia Britannica called me fat.

I nixed any Precip, and tried a couple of different Outdoor Research jackets and shells. Same issues, although at least the sizing cut was more consistent, and they were better designed than the Precip.

I tried on an Arcteryx jacket. Well fitted, well made and better designed, with reinforcement at the shoulder and neck areas that wear out first. And. . . . Hahahaha. . . . $350. I don’t know which Arcteryx jacket it was, one of the least expensive I guess:

http://www.rei.com/search.html?q=Ar...size=90&ir=q:Arcteryx+mens+rain+jacket&page=1

HAHAHAHA. . . . . next.

Northface sizing was a little better, but I would still need to move up to an XXXL to use it for torso movement when paddling or with under layers and down vest.

Skipping similar failures the two brands that actually fit comfortably for super-size me and allowed a good range of motion were the two least expensive, the Columbia and REI branded rain jackets.

The fit best was the least expensive REI branded jacket. Unfortunately it was also the most simplistic; no liner, no storm flap over the zipper, no cuff closures, no hideaway flap for the hood. But it was inexpensive, it fits with layers on underneath, and the arms don’t hang down to my knees.

It also had no stuff-pocket feature, which I do not need or use. I use small (Sharpie labeled) ditty bags sized for my rain pants and jacket. The awkwardness of the stuffing/zipping business with an integral storage pocket is just one more bit hassle and zipper wear I don’t need.

That thin and simplistic REI jacket, sans storm flaps, cuff Velcro and etc fits in a teeny ditty bag, and if I ever find a reasonably priced, feature designed and well fitted “waterproof hard shell” I may go (back to) the Marten technique.

What I have learned is if you have rain gear that that keeps you dry only put it on when you need to. An extra windbreaker can be used to take the abuse instead. I have had a variety of brands but they all trapped moisture. Like others here I am not buying another expensive rain jacket. If it is pouring rain put on a cheap waterproof,if windy and cold put on a cheap windproof.

For some years I did something like that, carrying a cheap nylon windbreaker as well as raingear. But I found myself wearing the WP breathable jacket 90 percent of the time, “just in case”, and stopped bring the simple nylon windjammer. I am considering that again, but using something like the simplistic REI jacket for breathable drizzle, wind and light chill protection and a more feature laden waterproof hard shell for occasions of hard rain or colder conditions.

I’m not a light packer by any stretch of the imagination and could equalize the addition of a simplistic, light-weight and packable everyday rain jacket providing adequate protection, and a warmer, more durable hard shell for fuglier conditions by leaving one book or beer at home.

The downside dilemma is of course finding a well designed WP hard shell that isn’t the equivalent of a mortgage payment. I’m not at the age yet where I’ve stopped buying green bananas, but a $400 rain jacket better be a family heirloom or have magical powers.

I made the trip to REI this morning. Good part #1, I had no problem returning the Marmot Precip.
Sorry about the bogus lead. Sizing is always an issue, but I love the REI 1-year, no questions asked return policy. Glad you took advantage.

I’m not a light packer by any stretch of the imagination and could equalize the addition of a simplistic, light-weight and packable everyday rain jacket providing adequate protection, and a warmer, more durable hard shell for fuglier conditions by leaving one book or beer at home.

The downside dilemma is of course finding a well designed WP hard shell that isn’t the equivalent of a mortgage payment. I’m not at the age yet where I’ve stopped buying green bananas, but a $400 rain jacket better be a family heirloom or have magical powers.
60/40. Still on sale. ;)

Actually, I'd love to hear some feedback from folks who had one back in the day. I was too poor/cheap to buy one at the time, and haven't put my new one through its paces yet.

I'd feel sorry for you endomorphs if I didn't live the first 3/4 of my life with the same problem only in reverse. I'd have to buy a L or XL just to get the sleeve length I wanted but by then it was like wearing a moo-moo you could have fit three of me in. I love the new direction sizing and styling have taken. I can walk into a regular store and find a shirt or jacket made to fit someone who is 6'1"/165 rather than having to slink into the mall and shop at the trendy fashion stores; although I must say you can find some really nice jackets in those places for really cheap when they clearing out for next season's fashions.

Alan

Last edited:
Before reading my comments below, one should explore this interesting link, and I mean both pages.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Sour+Grapes

I've eaten things bigger than 165lbs. When I was 165lbs, I shopped at the babyGap. The piece of cartlidge they removed from my big toe weighed 165lbs.
Once when I was weighing myself, my leg fell off, so I weighed it, it was 165lbs.

Those grapes I keep trying to reach....yup, probly weigh 165lbs.

OK, I'm gonna go snowshoeing or sumpin, the interwebs are taking control of me......buttttt.......

All this talk leaves me with a burning question...which body type is best for canoeing? Does an ectomorph get knocked out of his/her canoe in big rapids? Does an endomorph take on excess water in big waves? Do Mesomorphs run the risk of attracting horny sasquatch? I'm not sure, but I'm going to exercise right now, the boobies on that endomorphic guy are kind of fascinating me.

As an ectomorph, yes, I get knocked out of my canoe by large waves, knocked over by wind next to tall buildings, and generally make my way around the world by clutching onto static objects for dear life. But, friends, sizing is terrible for us scrawnies, too. I used to wear a size 25/0/small pant size. I'm the same weight as I was ten years ago, and that weight has settled into more of a 28-year old's shape, but I'm somehow now a 25/DOUBLE ZERO/XXS in everything. Do you know how hard it is to find outdoors-oriented clothing in a size XXS? You can't. It doesn't exist. Most brands don't make clothing smaller than a women's 2. And let's not even get started on gender pricing and inferior products.
Anyway, rain jackets. I use an $80 poncho/tarp with grommets hybrid that I tie with a rope around my middle when it's windy. It's from MEC and it's called the AQUANATOR (really) but I think they may have discontinued it. The rest of the time I wear a canvas military-style jacket with pockets or a wool sweater.
Andrew loves shiny things and Gore-Tex. He bought a ridiculously overpriced Noronna shell and really likes it. He got it on sale for $375 down from $700. Who spends $700 on a rain jacket?! Even $375 was wayyy too much, in my opinion. But, as I've said, I prefer the giant tarp.

I hear everyone on the nutty cost of rain jackets and higher-tech gear in general. (My last canoe was I'm thinking a relatively cheap one and it cost me $1700!) And being a working-class stiff kinda guy I understand. And I remember during my stints of working the outdoor retail market (for no other reasons than to fill my boat and pack with "Pro-Deals"), selling $700 jackets to upper crust kids so they could get from their dad's BMW to the school when it was sprinkling. (Not slighting the Uber-Wealthy among us, by the way, just that particular attitude.)

But I had to eventually get a real job and give up the Pro-Deal and the $4.10 hourly wage and now I'm one of them picky cheap-skate consumers who plagues the hippie clerk with questions. And I've found that I've changed a little. Such that when I think about living out of my boat for six days at a time in an icy winter I think about essentially living in my drysuit. And while I paid $700 bucks for it (on a pretty good deal) it dang near keeps me alive in the winter and as far as I'm concerned it's a work of art. (Kokatat, by the way: only way to go for drysuits.) And now I can't remember how I paddled comfortably in winter without a drysuit! And when/if I move from my drysuit to another outer shell-type rain jacket when out beyond the warmth of home and hearth I'm donning some equally live-able protective coating that is, essentially, the roof over my house that will hopefully keep out most of the elements. And dang if that incredible hi-tech gear (be it Mountain Hardwear--I've had my favorite winter bomb-proof rain jacket since 1997--Patagonia, Marmot, etc...), doesn't do an incredible job. And I feel anymore that I can be outside anytime I want and be REAL comfortable with, when it comes right down to it, one relatively light weight bag of clothes.

Of course I know people have been outside without Berghaus jackets for 15,000 years but to me that couple three-four hundred bucks is money well spent. (My wife and I go to our favorite bar up the street anymore we'll drop $100.) And to some weird degree I enjoy spending it. I feel in some way I'm keeping the industry innovative and moving forward.

But then I'm only 43 years old....

Sorry about the bogus lead. Sizing is always an issue, but I love the REI 1-year, no questions asked return policy. Glad you took advantage.

60/40. Still on sale. ;)

Actually, I'd love to hear some feedback from folks who had one back in the day. I was too poor/cheap to buy one at the time, and haven't put my new one through its paces yet.

No worries about the Precip lead. Had it fit it would have been just what I was looking for cost and feature wise.

I was an early 60/40 wearer. I had one in the 70’s, splurged for at the recommendation of a gearhead friend. Undoubtedly the single most used piece of clothing ever in my wardrobe, and the longest lasting. I wore that 60/40 well into the 80’s, until I out-girthed it.

I loved that jacket, and it had many memorable battle scars, the best of which were some kite line burns on the end of one sleeve.

I was flying a kite train UFO* one windy night on the beach near Miami and the line was zipping out so fast I was burning my fingers, so I tried letting it slide out between a fold in the sleeve and dang near set fire to one cuff.

*Kite train UFO = three or four kites strung out 100 yards apart on the same line, so a single kite is not carrying all of the string weight. You can get a kite up to considerable altitude using a train. The “UFO” part consisted of a couple of cyalumes attached to the line between the kites, and, that night, some long pieces of aluminum foil to give it a radar reflection.

We had that puppy way the heck up in the sky above Miami, with the cyalumes slowly wavering from side to side as the multiple kites slowly shifted left and right in the wind when it attracted some, uh, official attention.

I would have liked to check the Miami papers for something about a “UFO sighting”, but it time to get the heck out of town.

I did have one up from a beach across the dunes from a popular campground one night and could hear campers hollering “Come look” and “What the heck is that” as the cyalumes silently drifted around a quarter mile above their heads.

I have a first Gen Goretex from EMS from the 1970s. Has been a challenge to stay dry. Leaks all over but never wore out. It took me years to realize you are doomed if the jacket is dirty. Goretex just stops working
I currently use an MEC long raincoat. After ten years with regular tech washings it is still fine. I prefer a long raincoat and be damed with the pants

In a want of a shorter raincoat for whatever reason last year I simply drove to the nearest North Face Outlet don't remember what the name is but it was some 70 percent off

I'd never buy online from a store that was not close by due to wonky sizing.
Patagonia is definitely for the yoga chi crowd of size zeros

I have 2 sets of pants and jackets from Army Surplus I bought long ago. They work to keep the wearer mostly dry, thanks to the smeary looking goop liberally applied inside on the seams. I wish I knew what it was, I'd like to reapply some. Fish guts? Bacon grease? Chain lube? All of the above? I'm in a funny state of mind these days, leaning towards...cheap. I think I'll cook up a concoction and try to add a few more years to these ratty tatty garments. I have several cans of fabric spray, none of which have turned other jackets into storm busters. Although the sales should be coming soon, seeing as how it'll be s-----time later next month. ( I don't want to tempt the temperamental weather Gods of March.) Maybe I'll just wait and splurge on a brand new Brand name pour moi. But don't get me started on the wonky sizing seemingly suited for waifs from another world. My diminutive self and spouse could rant for entire days about pants with 5 foot inseams and 5 inch waistbands.

Back