• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

New Rain jacket?

G

I have worn out another rain jacket, a high end Patagonia jacket, from back in the days when I had a pro-deal and the cost was fifty percent off reasonable.

I am loath to pay several hundred dollars for a replacement piece of raingear. Some years ago I came to a realization of how hard my practices are on rain pants, snapping kindling over my knee, busting my way through trailside brush and greenbriar, kneeling on the ground and sparky fires (or other lit things). I always have lots of patched holes in my rain pants and I can live with that.

At the same time I still wanted something lightweight, packable and breathable, and have since opted to buy inexpensive Campmor or other off-brand breathable rain pants. The pants matter far less to my layering than the jacket.

I wear a breathable rain jacket non-stop for 6 months of the year. It is my windbreaker, third layer and raingear combined. I knew the old Pataguccie jacket was leaking, but today I noticed that it was worn translucent thin at the shoulders. It is now more like damp down the back wear.

I can’t complain, that jacket saw a lot of hard and constant use and served me well. But I know there have been some advances in raingear tech in the last decade.

So, what’s out there today that fulfills the criteria of:

Breathable (however poorly Gore-tex or etc works in sweaty exertion I still prefer something “breathable” for inert inactivity)
Lightweight/packable. (I have thick Brush-Buster raingear from duckhunting, but that is way more volume than I care to pack on a trip)
Relatively inexpensive (meaning $100 +/-, not $300). With couple of pockets and adjustments at the cuffs so the rain doesn’t run down my arms. And a hood. Or not

I hate hoods, especially when I turn my head to try to look to one side, only to find that I’m staring at the inside of a loosely cinched hood. I wear a broad brimmed rain hat instead, which means that the unused hood draped down my back serves mostly as a rain catcher. Maybe no hood, or at least one with an integral roll-in-and-close pocket, from which I would rarely extract it.

Suggestions? I have a March trip coming up, and my Patagucci rain jacket has bit the dust.

I made a similar search last summer before my big trip as my old rain jacket was not going to cut it any longer. I went the same route as it sounds like you do and decided I'd use my jacket both for rain and an extra layer on cooler days. I don't think mine is truly sold as a rain jacket, rather a waterproof hard shell. It's warmer than most rain jackets and thinner (cooler) than a jacket jacket.

I really hated to spend the extra money on a high end jacket and also hated to throw away my money on a cheap one. Fortunately Midwest Mountaineering has a sort of bargain basement thing, although it's upstairs, where they sell off last year's merchandise, factory samples, and the like. I rummaged through all their rain gear and jackets and managed to find one that fit, seemed to be good quality, and wasn't too heavy (warm). A little research on that Mountain Hardwear Ampato jacket when I got home revealed it uses Dry Q. Elite for waterproofing and that it's highly thought of and is used in the higher end jackets from Mountain Hardwear. I bought it for $125 and have been very happy with it so far. It's only been on that one 30 day trip but it kept me dry and it seemed to breath well. I never felt sticky inside of it and whatever lining on the inside feels comfortable against bare skin. It has a hood but I don't remember if it rolls up and stores away or not.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/mens...r=312#start=19

Edit to add that might not be the same as my Ampato jacket. This one doesn't look like it has pockets and I thought mine did. If I can remember I'll check when I get home. Mine is also a solid color rather than two-tone, which seems to be all that's offered now.

Alan

Last edited:
I don't think mine is truly sold as a rain jacket, rather a waterproof hard shell. It's warmer than most rain jackets and thinner (cooler) than a jacket jacket.

Gotta love the semantics of clothing descriptions. “Waterproof hard shell”. OK, yes, that is exactly what I am looking for.

I really hated to spend the extra money on a high end jacket and also hated to throw away my money on a cheap one. Fortunately Midwest Mountaineering has a sort of bargain basement thing, although it's upstairs, where they sell off last year's merchandise, factory samples, and the like. I rummaged through all their rain gear and jackets and managed to find one that fit, seemed to be good quality, and wasn't too heavy (warm). A little research on that Mountain Hardwear Ampato jacket when I got home revealed it uses Dry Q. Elite for waterproofing and that it's highly thought of and is used in the higher end jackets from Mountain Hardwear.

URL="http://www.mountainhardwear.com/mens-ampato-jacket-1550391.html?dwvar_1550391_variationColor=312#start=19"]http://www.mountainhardwear.com/mens...r=312#start=19[/URL]

I don’t have a manufacturer’s bargain basement (attic) to peruse. I do like the seemingly reinforced shoulder wear-area design of that Ampato, which is where I have found the most worn material degradation on my rain jackets. Big shoulders, pack straps, and etc. Some kind of liner to prevent wearing out the

A little heavier weight doesn’t bother me a wit. If it is warm out I have yet to find a “breathable” fabric that won’t see me swimming in sweat underneath, and I use that jacket as much, or more, as a 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] layer wind breaker or 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] (4[SUP]th[/SUP]) layer outer shell.

In cool to cold weather I get by most often with long underwear top and bottom, fleece top and bottom and a breathable outer layer. Slip a down vest under the jacket when chilled from inertia, or shed the jacket when overheating from exertion, and that layering system covers me between 30F to 55F with a thin Capaline layer and more if I’m wearing heavy duty long underwear.

I do like Mt. Hardware gear, but $187 is at the top end of my range. And I don’t think it has exterior pockets.

Which, thinking about it, is for me is a cold weather jacket necessity. I need pockets, if only to provide a place for my gloves when I’m not wearing them. I do not like wearing gloves, and take them off every chance I get. Plus exterior pockets provide a convenient stash for a knife, camera, lighter, smokes, etc.

Maybe a “waterproof hard shell” with both cargo pockets and slit hand-warmer pockets. Thanks. I never contemplated it before, but I gotta have pockets.

Crap, it probably just got choosier. And pricier.

Some might poo poo this, but after years of sweating the inside of my rain gear to a state wetter than the outside, I have given up the search for perfect gear. Last year I spent around 30 bucks for Frog Togg type pants and jacket, got them two sizes too big. They are not very durable for things like chainsawing portages or lugging gear through jungle like trails, but for paddling, they are the bomb. Very light and small to pack...on a longer trip I could take two complete pairs and still be under a hundred bucks. My warm clothes fit under them nice, and so far they have proven to be very rain proof, except for the holes, which I promptly cover with duct tape. I've got two canoe seasons out of the last pair.

Maybe a “waterproof hard shell” with both cargo pockets and slit hand-warmer pockets. Thanks. I never contemplated it before, but I gotta have pockets.

I don't use my jacket pockets all that often other than a place to store my stocking cap or gloves but I still don't feel right without them. That's why I was surprised when the jacket I linked to didn't appear to have any. They must have changed it a little. I don't think I would have bought mine if it was pocketless.

Alan

No poo poo here, I hate spending big bucks on rain gear. I can buy Froggs every year or two and still be ahead of the game. All the things mem says about the durability is true but I'm not ready to change yet.

I saw mem's frog suit last summer and I can attest to it's thinner than skin lightness. When he had it on I could actually count the cigarettes in his shirt pocket. At that point he had 4 left (and was keeping them a secret.) And at that point I was annoyed with the shedding nature of my $200 rain coat. Mind you it had seen about 15 seasons. It looked okay coming out of the closet, but promptly started peeling big plasticky flakes on the very first showery morning. It took me two days to realize I didn't have an extreme case of zombie dandruff. It wouldn't be so bad except that the jacket was loosing the waterproofing across the shoulders, back and neck, kinda where I'd need it the most. I guess that's where it saw the most wear and tear from portage packs.
This thread comes at a good time when I'm pondering a new rain ensemble.
I used to have a heavy duty rubber type rain set that was indestructible. And heavy. And guaranteed to turn your rain suit interior into a rain forest environment. Is it too much to want waterproofness and breathability? I can't seem to find those old ponchos anywhere. I had a heavy duty rubbery one years ago for my first few canoe trips. It worked well and was comfortable, for a poncho, but I didn't like paddling in it.

You might look at Outdoor Research's Foray Jacket?

Gore-Tex Paclite is a pretty good material - a three layer product so no liner - not too bulky. Quite good in the breath-ability area. Although like you said, nothing breaths all that well when soaking wet. Good side pockets and a chest pocket too. Velcro wrist adjustment.

The only minus is the hood.. I'm quite sure with your talents that you could tailor it and remove it, just leaving a collar?

I've had one for a few years now. I haven't abused it but it's wearing well.

Amazons one place but theres a couple more that have it for a decent discount... $150 or so.

http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Resear.../dp/B009Q19UE6

Last edited:
Marmot Precip? I'm on my third in about 10 years. They don't last forever, but they meet all your criteria I think. And they're on sale at REI.

http://www.rei.com/product/894605/ma...-2015-closeout

Edit: And I nearly forgot that Sierra Designs re-released the classic 60-40 and has them on sale. Probably too heavy for what you want, but you never know. Here's the jacket version.

http://www.sierradesigns.com/product/short-parka

And the original, longer version.

http://www.sierradesigns.com/product/mountain-parka

Not as packable as the Marmot, but a lot tougher.

Last edited:
Kokatat Full Zip jacket.
Beautifully crafted in the USA.
Love all of our Kokatat Gore Tex gear: dry suit, paddling jacket, full zip jacket, boater pants, zephyr pants.
We don't really consider any other brands.

I buy a cheapo Canadian Tire or Princess Auto set whenever I need it. Lately I have been using my hip waders instead of rain pants. I actually seldom wear rain pants. I just use quick drying type pants and deal with the wet. If its warm out who cares. If its cold wear neoprene bib waders. Find a light rain jacket and spray it with water proofing spray like you would your tent. Eh voilla. Wear a bush hat to keep your head dry and warm.

I had a larger hard shell rain jacket that I used for years and I cant find it now. Same as my old poncho.I cannot spend hundreds of dollars on rain gear.

Tyvek house wrap is a highly functional material: very light weight, gas permeable, and water proof. After softening, and any other treatments you may want to apply, you can make rain gear, bivys, footprints, tarps, etc. It can't be dyed a different color but you can apply a sticker advertising your favorite "high end" outdoor gear company... you know, "a fine wine drunk from a jelly jar" sort of thing.

What I have learned is if you have rain gear that that keeps you dry only put it on when you need to. An extra windbreaker can be used to take the abuse instead. I have had a variety of brands but they all trapped moisture. Like others here I am not buying another expensive rain jacket. If it is pouring rain put on a cheap waterproof,if windy and cold put on a cheap windproof.

I would second the Marmot "Precip" as a decent rain jacket that won't break the bank. I picked up mine from Sierra Trading Post and spent about $80.00 for it. It lasted about 8 years before the interior coating began to peel off. Once that started I just handed it off to the recycle pile because the coating that came off was where the hood meets the upper back area. I replaced it with a Mountain Hardware jacket which seems to be OK for the time being but the real bottom line is I purchased both from the folks at the Sierra Trading Post. Even though I have a decent job I'm not interested in spending more than I need to so I always check out what they've got on sale before making any garment type purchase. So far, I've always gotten more than my moneys worth in my opinion. Of course, your mileage may vary as the saying goes.

That's all for now. Take care and best of luck in finding what you need. Until next time...be well.

snapper

I noticed that it was worn translucent thin at the shoulders. It is now more like damp down the back wear.

the jacket was loosing the waterproofing across the shoulders, back and neck, kinda where I'd need it the most. I guess that's where it saw the most wear and tear from portage packs.

I just handed it off to the recycle pile because the coating that came off was where the hood meets the upper back area.

If nothing else I believe we have identified the wear area on rain jackets that needs some reinforcement..

A Marmot Precip was my previous jacket. It saw very little use. Mostly it got scrunched up into a little ball in the pack and rarely came out since I always seemed to either be fortunate with the weather or else I'd just let it rain in warm weather. But last year when I pulled it out the inner lining was wearing and flaking off, where else, but on the neck and shoulders.

I maybe be partially to blame for many times leaving it balled up in a pack for months at a time before unpacking.

Alan

Marmot Precip? I'm on my third in about 10 years. They don't last forever, but they meet all your criteria I think. And they're on sale at REI.

http://www.rei.com/product/894605/ma...-2015-closeout

Cleamancy, thanks, the Precip it is. We have some other Marmot gear that works well. The best pair of rain pants I ever owned were Marmots with reinforced knees.

For $65 I think it would be hard to beat, and realistically I don’t expect long life from lightweight packable rainwear. But the time the WP breathability is worn out it will be use abused full of holes and patches anyway. It does meet all of my criteria, and then some.

“Breathable”, check
Packable, check
Pit zips (always handy), check
External storm flap (good for keeping blowing sand away from the zipper), check
Zippered pockets (so I don’t lose things, and the Velcro cuff doesn’t get stuck on a Velcro pocket flap), check
Available one size larger than I wear (so I don’t look like the Michelin Man when wearing long underwear, fleece and down vest underneath), check

Plus it was free shipping, and REI, so if it is poorly sized or cut back it goes.

Mostly it got scrunched up into a little ball in the pack and rarely came out since I always seemed to either be fortunate with the weather or else I'd just let it rain in warm weather. But last year when I pulled it out the inner lining was wearing and flaking off, where else, but on the neck and shoulders.

I maybe be partially to blame for many times leaving it balled up in a pack for months at a time before unpacking.

Hopefully my mileage varies. When not tripping my raingear is hung in the closet after, per Gore-tex instructions, I tumble dry it to “reactivate the DWR treatment on the outer fabric”. I have never washed any of my Gote-tex stuff, although my previous rain jacket unfortunately yellow and showed ever bit of grunge, soot and grime.

I’ll be interested to see the care instructions for Precip.

after a small fortune and decades of trying to find a W/B jacket that actually worked, I gave up and went back to using a fully waterproof Viking rain jacket with pit zips, vented cape, and pocket vents.it keeps me dry in just about any weather and has enough venting that moisture isn't really an issue.

I used to have the Precips and they stayed waterproof about 2 - 3 years. I have an Outdoor Research now that I really like. It vents all the way from the waist if you want. one interior pocket and two exterior. Hood rolls nicely into the collar. Of course I can't find the model, but it is light and pretty durable. I use it as a shell for back country skiing as well. Much more breathable than the Precips. I know I didn't pay much over $100. Uses something called Pertex Shield instead of Gore-tex.

The Marmot Precip arrived yesterday, free 2-day shipping. It has every feature I wanted, even a hood that rolls up into a neck flap.

Well, every feature except one

REI, so if it is poorly sized or cut back it goes.

I had checked the Marmot fit chart and ordered the Precip one size larger, so that I could wear some layers underneath when using it for chill wind protection. The same size as my worn out Patagonia rainwear, which is a bit baggy on me. Looking at the fit chart sizing I had some concerns that the sleeves would dangle to my knees, or the neck opening drape down to my chest, but that was not the case.

It is wayyyyy too small. With just a tee shirt on underneath I can barely zip it up and it is so tight across the shoulders that I would tear the stitching apart with any movement. If it were only a little undersized I’d be pissed, but it is so small it’s downright comical.

OK, I knowingly violated my 11[SUP]th[/SUP] Commandment, “Never buy clothing online”. I suspect that this is another example of the dirty little secret of the garment trade, where a manufacturer gets an order for 10,000 XL’s, comes up a couple hundred short and throws in some L’s and XXL’s to fill the order. Or that the Made in China manufacturing is so sloppy that the purported size is meaningless.

Step 1: Off to REI this week for a return.
Step 2: Try on some rain jackets and buy something that fits, even if it tends toward pricier.
Step 3: Never buy clothing on-line.

Back