• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Snow? — Where You Are

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What kind of snow have you had this season where you live? What does that betoken for river and lake levels this spring and summer?

In northwest Connecticut we've had the least snow in my 32 years here. We had one small snowfall of about 2 inches in December, which melted in two days. I've never before had a winter where I've never had to plow or shovel. This will not be good for the whitewater season.

Northern California, where I used to live and which has been in drought for years, fortunately has been inundated by rains and snowpack this winter.

We've been above normal so far here in Iowa but the last week has been pleasant with temps in the mid-30's and is getting rid of some of it. It's been 35 and raining all day today, which is not pleasant, but it's melting more snow. Still huge piles in the parking lots and street corners though.

Alan

Here in Southern Ontario we may have had a total of about 1.5 feet so far with a couple of significant rain days. There is ZERO accumulation on the ground.

It really means almost nothing regarding paddling conditions as 99% of the decent paddling is between 200 and 1000 miles further north.

Continuing the trend of the last 10 years, the 2022-23 winter season will once again probably be the warmest on record.

More important to me is the temperatures in mid-April to mid-May, doesn't matter how much snowpack we have if it's all gone by the end of April.

We've had several good storms - 4 ft or so at least twice and a day+ of heavy rain. The streams and ponds around this region are at high levels, with many adjacent fields under water.

We've had a couple of significant snowfalls here but they've quickly melted off and, with tomorrow's high supposed to reach 70, I'm strongly considering taking a motorcycle to work in the morning (I've never taken a February bike ride and this is, by far, the warmest winter of my youngish life).

As for water levels, I would expect them to be unchanged from normal as snow melt typically runs off quickly here and by Easter we're depending on the springs to keep the waterways wet. Rain is just as good as snow in that regard (perhaps better in that water cannot soak into frozen ground).

They say we’ve had 85 inches. I say I’ll be glad when it’s gone.

Attachments

• 3F856BB0-557E-4F66-9396-6FFABB19827F.jpeg
    3F856BB0-557E-4F66-9396-6FFABB19827F.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 3AC51D67-0462-48C4-8B55-B000B515F70E.jpeg
    3AC51D67-0462-48C4-8B55-B000B515F70E.jpeg
    181.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 9D1163B8-4C3E-4B5B-ABC7-B8D268DD076B.jpeg
    9D1163B8-4C3E-4B5B-ABC7-B8D268DD076B.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 7
  • DDBA24CF-D111-4DC3-8850-244E2FF7F532.jpeg
    DDBA24CF-D111-4DC3-8850-244E2FF7F532.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 7
Our 16 plus inches is going … going … dang near gone in the 40 degree rain here. More snow on the way for Thursday … but then 40 degrees for weekend. Wisconsin River was low this year by a good bit … North of me the Mississippi River ( a regular summer haunt for me ) is still wicked low. Last summer the tows pushing barges hit bottom often. Corp of Engineers were dredging the main channel big time trying to keep it open.

North of Wabasha Mn to Prescott Wi has been in a terrible drought for like 2 years.

Here in my part of central NYS, we've essentially had very little snow. My guess is our region has seen less than a foot in total accumulation. Rain, on the other hand, we've had plenty of; especially during January. The first month of the year gave us more days of rain and overcast skies than any I can remember. This winter I've only been out on my xc skis a total of four times; far below the norm.

To give you an idea of how winterless we've been, this morning the tom turkey that lives on the hillside across from our house started gobbling. This is the earliest I've ever heard them looking for a mate.

In spite of the lack of snow, our water table remains high due to all the rain we've had. All our streams are running at normal, or just above, normal levels for this time of the year. That's probably the only bright spot for having so little snow.

Winter, o' winter...where have you gone???

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Almost no snow in CNY. I have never seen anything like this. I've seen grass almost all winter. No snowshoeing, ice fishing, skiing, 4 wheel drive. Nothing. It's going to be 60 tomorrow. Very strange.

For the Ottawa area, it looks like this year will be the first time ever (since 1971) that skating on the Rideau Canal will not happen AT ALL. Normally the canal skating is open until about mid-March, they say they need 10 to 14 consecutive days of temperatures between -10°C and -20°C. Looking at the 14 day forecast that is definitely not going to happen.

There has been plenty of snow in the Ottawa Valley this year, that is not helping to freeze the ice.

I live in Nevada in the rain shadow of the Sierras. We average only 20 inches of snow a year. It feels like we have moved back to Wyoming. It is snowing now. We have had snow on the ground since Dec. It had been colder and wetter than usual by a lot. Today's high 28/low 4 tonite. The snow pack in the mountains is around 275% of average for the date. It will help the drought, but it has been rugged so far.

Many of the mountain passes will be late in opening mostly in June. Some ski areas may stay open until July. They will close for lack of interest, not lack of snow.

Last edited:
Usual amount, but very warm. Only 20 inches of ice, we usually have over three feet by now. Raining cats and dogs at the moment, but supposed to turn to 12 inches of snow overnight. Must be the aliens.
Perhaps somewhat selfishly, your area was the first that I thought of when Glenn posted the "how is that likely to effect water levels in your area" question. While I wish you no ill, I AM hoping the stars align in such a way that the Steel is runnable in late July.

Top center of MN where my cabin is has over 20 inches and even more to the east in the BWCA area.

Lots of snow on the ground in Duluth, but it rained all day today, which is almost unheard of for mid-February. It’s been a strange winter.

We haven't had much snow in mid coast Maine, maybe 10" all season, but we had some frozen rain mix in with the snow so it's difficult to get around. Here in central Florida it was 76 and sunny today

This afternoon I let the family dog out, whereupon it immediately ran to the fence to accomplish two of it's main objectives: BARK at anything and everything that has the temerity to "trespass" within 50 feet of our property line, and BARK just because it's a fun thing to do. AND to piss me off. She accomplished that NO problem. I answered back with a human bark of my own ENOUGH ALREADY! Somehow anything I say in earnest gets cross-wired in her tiny mutt brain to mean LET'S PLAY!! Which is kinda nice when you think about it. So I slipped my boots on and stepped out into the sunshine in t-shirt and jeans. As I shuffled across the yard (I've been fighting a nasty virus so I'm not moving so well this month) she wagged her tail, dipped her head down, and did 2 laps of the yard in the time it took me to reach where she last stood next to a shrinking pile of snow. It occurred to me that this simple minded dog might actually be using intelligent mind games far above my superior human ability, manipulating my homo sapiens prowess to do her bidding, her BARK sounding almost like "Just shut the front door and come and play!" I wondered as we were playing if someday in the far and distant future this planet will be ruled by dogs, with human beans as their domesticated servants, kinda like Planet Of The Canines. On a day like today with the sun streaming down and her and I tumbling in what seems the last vestige of winter (it used to be a snow fort I built with the grandkids) and the gathering spectators lining the sidewalk thinking me and my dog BOTH belong behind that chain-link fence, I thought I'd be okay with that future. Doesn't matter who is barking at whom, neither of us is really listening, we're just two mutts playing in the snow. And we all know this snow won't stay. Can't wait for tomorrow.

Last edited:
Just one good snowfall here on the Connecticut that required any real shoveling. Couple of light events as well, but nothing to speak of. Definitely feels droughty.

I am in Lake Effect snowcountry, on the Tug Hill Plateau and nearby region, to the east of Lake Ontario in NY state. We had a good 4' snow dump in November which mostly melted shortly after with warmth and rain. Then another 4 foot dump on us at Christmas. I have a small hunting camp I inherited from my dad located at the typical heaviest lake effect snow epicenter on Tug Hill. It is two miles away from the closest parking area, so I ski into it, half way on an unplowed dirt road turned to popular snowmobile trail with the idiots roaring by me at 70+ mph. Extreme caution is necessary on my part to safely get out of the way until I can head off trail across a beaver meadow into the woods to my camp. Most winters I get nervous enough about the levels of snowfalls to need to go in there 2 or 3 times to shovel the roof. Unless things change radically over the next few weeks, it looks like I may get away with only going in one time this season. My home is 15 crow fly miles away with only slightly less overall snowfall here. Lots of ups and downs this season so far, rain-snnow-melt-rain-snow. Currently I have about 8 inches of crusty snow depth in open fields and the woods.
1676468161285.png

Back