• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Snow, where you are?

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Snow cover in the Lower 48 is at record levels as November starts

Since this WaPo article is likely paywall, I'll quote the beginning:

"The season’s first snows have frosted the Rocky Mountains, the northern Plains, the Great Lakes and northern New England over the past week, resulting in the most extensive early-November snow cover in at least two decades.

"On Wednesday morning, snow was on the ground in 17.9 percent of the Lower 48, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

"Locations from eastern Minnesota to western New York saw snow on Halloween — even enough to shovel in Minneapolis; Milwaukee; Muskegon, Mich.; and Buffalo. Areas downwind of Lakes Erie and Ontario were also blanketed early Wednesday, including Cleveland and Akron, Ohio, while several inches were anticipated along some of the west-facing slopes of the Appalachian Mountains."

Snow cover Nov 1 2023.jpg

No snow in northwest Connecticut. Nighttime temps have been touching the freeze mark, but daytimes are supposed to go up to to the 50s and even 60s over the next week. Good!!! The price of heating oil is crippling for fixed incomers, though not as astronomical as last year.

Our first snow here in east central Saskatchewan, shown below, was October 24. Our coldest temperature so far was -19 C (-2 F). Today the temperature was a smidge above freezing, both Celsius and Fahrenheit. I got my ski-doo out of the barn this morning, but with these blistering temperatures, the snow is starting to go. Not to worry, though, the forecast calls for 10-15 cm (4-6 inches) of snow over the weekend. Shadow, our Siberian Husky, is feeling quite energized. He hates summer.

71986235258__8B328F09-2E66-4DDF-9F5A-6319264BBE18.jpeg

Last edited:
We had 4-5” a week ago but it has melted in areas exposed to the sun. Went for a nice 25 mile road bike ride yesterday in 55 degree sunshine.

We got a good inch or so Tuesday into yesterday, but it is gone now. There was nothing to speak of a few miles down the hill. Wild how a couple hundred feet of elevation makes a difference throughout the winter.

Bob

We had maybe 4-5” Sunday night. Calumet, Michigan. We were supposed to get an actual storm on Monday night, but that was a complete bust. I have been able to go out on my rock skis at the local trails (Swedetown!) for the last four days, and put some new gouges in them 😀. But I think that’s over, for now. We still have trail work to get done before we’re buried!

Wild how a couple hundred feet of elevation makes a difference throughout the winter.
Not just elevation... I'm about 50 miles east of Jmharrick above, roughly the same elevation and I woke up to 2-3 inches Nov 1st. The difference? I live at the base of what passes for mountains here so we often have significantly higher snowfall than in the 'Burgh.

We had 5 days with lows around 15 degrees or lower last week, but it dry here in Nevada except for the high peaks which got a little snow.

We had a flurry a few days back, but not enough to make me note the date.

We had enough snow to cover the ground a couple of weeks ago and it was quite cold at night - about -18 C or 0 F. It looked like it was going to stay but we've had above freezing daytime highs for quite a few days and it's forecast to be above freezing for the next week or so. Can't paddle so I'd rather skip the in between season and go straight to cross-country skiing.

We had enough snow to cover the ground a couple of weeks ago

Except, Ralph, only a very few viewers know where you are . . . because you haven't put your location in your Account Details page, which will cause it to show under your avatar.

Just another hint for the many members who haven't done this yet.

First snow of the season in SE Wisconsin started on Halloween afternoon. By the next morning we had 1.5” on the ground and it had frozen so that heavy wet snow persisted well into the next day. October snow not that uncommon for SE Wisconsin. It did encourage me to get those remaining outdoor tasks at home done now.

On our departure from North Bay way back in early October (Thanks giving) we were met with a storybook landscape of vibrant trees dressed in flamboyant foliage with snowclad feet. I could've, should've stopped to take a pic, but didn't. We cruised slowly south, trying as we always do to make time stand still, just for us. The drive is normally a lethargic few hours on quieter backroads but we dawdled more than usual, simply for the view. The snow ran out in Orillia. Did they know what they were missing? When we got home my wife said "Better get the snows on."
Two weeks later we did.
The only snow I've seen "down here" was Halloween night. Snow sprites in streetlamps teasing the little monsters below ambling up and down the city sidewalks in search of candy plunder. I sipped Merlot and snacked on cold pizza with the other grandad, both of us thinking we had it made.
But then I told him of the snow up north. Sigh.

Back