• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Snow, where you are?

I saw on another forum that a guy was already skiing on the Whiteface auto road in the High Peaks of the Adirondacks. I would think there are paddling opportunities up there where you could get the views with snow capped peaks.

paddling opportunities up there where you could get the views with snow capped peaks.
Boreas Ponds perhaps. I haven‘t been there but apparently it affords excellent views of the Great Range. I have read that a leanto has been completed for public use but no established campsites are open as of March, 2023; perhaps that has changed. However, camping 150’ away from water is permitted just about anywhere in the ADKs.

The idea of a paddling trip into light snow appeals to me as long as there is no ice on the ponds which might cut the canvas skin on my canoe. What I’m unsure of is whether or not a trip to a single pond will hold my interest. I typically prefer going from place to place rather than base camping.

Last edited:
We’ve got snow in anchorage. It took three days for the plow guy to show up because it took so long to remove. IMG_8671.jpegIMG_8688.jpegIMG_8686.jpegIMG_8686.jpeg

To make thing worse, the guy staying in my MIL unit got stuck and left the state and told me to tow it to the scrapyard. I had to shovel around it in case the plow couldn’t get past it.

Last edited:
Glenn, that is a tractor with a giant snowblower on it. He pulled that car down to the street like it was nothing.

The sunny day picture was yesterday. He was plowing early this morning during another storm and we got another six inches since he left.

Glenn, that is a tractor with a giant snowblower on it. He pulled that car down to the street like it was nothing.

The sunny day picture was yesterday. He was plowing early this morning during another storm and we got another six inches since he left.

I know what the tractor is. I just don't think of snow blowing as plowing. I was wondering if there was an actual snow plow in addition to the tractor. My friend who lives at 1800' in Eagle River often has to rely on a neighbor's bulldozer to plow him out, even though he has a one ton 4wd truck with a plow on front himself.

With the snow blower you don't run out of room for the snow like you do with plowing, so it eliminates the need to bring in a front end loader. I never had that problem as I shoveled when I lived here full time. It would be cool if his machine did have a plow and a blower on it. The I could say "the snow remover guy is coming to plow my wife and....."

Off the east end of Lake Ontario I accumulated around 2 feet of fresh fluffy snow on Tuesday this week. I did not photogaph it this time, as it is not all that unusual for this location this time of year.

Mostly all of our snow is gone and forecasted temps above freezing for a week more, 7C on Wednesday. Keep it coming.

Back