• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

My first canoe build

Reaction score
For my 60th birthday, I figured I would build my own canoe.
I chose the Merlin and made all of my own materials from raw lumber.
It was a tedious task and I was in un-charted territory on a few occasions, but if a person has a little room, some common sense and a clear direction, it's a project most people could accomplish.
Just barely got it done here in Northern Minnesota before the snow started flying.
So, she waits until Spring.
This is my introduction to this web site:

That's a beautiful looking boat and a job to be proud of, Karl! The fit and finish looks first class from the pictures. Happy to see you were able to get it in the water at least once before winter hit. Looks like you've got a nice work space as well.

And welcome aboard! You'll find a few other wood strip projects, both ongoing and completed, in the DIY forum.

Alan

Ooooooooh me likes. You just cant beat a strip canoe for beauty. This one looks pretty functional too. Nice work.

Christy

Very nice canoe, beautiful and it looks like it will be pretty fast. Welcome, Thanks for the pictures, very enjoyable to see.

Nice work Karl... I think I know you from Trad gang maybe.... Is it possible?? Anyway, really nicely done canoe!!

I've just sat here for 10 minutes smiling.... Thankyou and very well done.

Nice build, Karl.
Any big plans for it in the spring?

Yes - I have a big knife show in Atlanta the first weekend of June, and as soon as I get back I'm going to Wisconsin to take the 3 day "Freestyling" class being put on there. I am not an accomplished canoe-ist so I'm going to learn.
Then I'm hitting the B'Dub.

Well done Karl. You have some skills my man. Excellent work.
It should serve you well for many years. Think of the adventures you'll have.
Glad to have you aboard.

That's your first?...and, with Home Depot wood? Wow...just wow! What a beauty!

That's your first?...and, with Home Depot wood? Wow...just wow! What a beauty!

It was all built using a few things from Home Depot and the local lumber yard.
Other than the ash gunwale material which I could not find over 16 feet long. I got that from a friend who has built many canoes and had a stash.

Back