• Happy Star Wars Day! 🌇🚶🏼‍,👑👊🏼🔙

Lows Lake Sept 27/28/29

I won't make it by then so I'll spend the night up on Horseshoe Lake and wait for the main party on Tuesday.

I'll be there Monday but due to a Drs. appointment and a 325+ mile drive, I probabaly won't get there 'til after dark. If you see a silver Silverado underneath a dark green Wenonah driving around aimlessly (ie: lost) flag me down. Never been to Lows so I'm not sure where I'm going. I may just find a place to park and sleep in the truck.

Jon

I'll have a Silver Jeep, MASS Army Vet plates and the Swift on top. I'll keep it near the road.

We can leave later if that helps. I was reminded we'd be stopping for breakfast somewhere first. Our timing is just a guessing game at this point.
If you can wait till Tupper , Main St Restaraunt, Lumberjack or Pine Grove are all good breakfast places. They are on rt 3 before you get to the main intersection in Tupper. Just past the decorated benches on the left. So before getting beer and wine and groceries.

Canton has some breakfast places but the best one turned into a funeral home...

Most of the summer I was hoping to make this trip but it seems work has conspired against me once again. My favorite customer's health has really started to fail fast and they asked me to make a couple things to make his life a bit easier. There was no way I would say no.
Enjoy yourselves. Real retirement is not far away for me, I say real because most of my life I have worked on what I want when I want which is kind of like retired.
Jim

Just checked the weather guessticast:(. Note to self: don't forget rain gear & extra tarp! Despite the wet and cool forecast, I'm looking forward to this trip even tho I'm the unknown quantity.
Several years ago I tripped my local waters with a guy from MI (another forum) that I really knew nothing about. My eldest son was concerned about my safety - "Dad, this guy could be an axe murderer :eek:!" Had a good time despite low water (and I'm still alive).

If you have a canvas hot tent it might be a great idea to bring it with the stove
Robin can take only a few around his Woodstove
Especially in the downsized version

Just checked the weather guessticast:(. Note to self: don't forget rain gear & extra tarp! Despite the wet and cool forecast, I'm looking forward to this trip even tho I'm the unknown quantity.
Well, I don't think I have ever seen my friend Ted (Shearwater) not dressed in rain gear so when he said he was coming I just knew we were in for some rain.:rolleyes: I need to study up on that "tarpology thread" and practise my prusik knot.

Good news is, leave the bug spray and sunscreen home, bring an extra saw blade for firewood.

Lol. That's why it was a wet time on Little Tupper and we found you on day 3. Day 4 I recall was wet too but it did clear up to be fair
I remember cinnamon buns and coffee around the woodstove

Several years ago I tripped my local waters with a guy from MI (another forum) that I really knew nothing about. My eldest son was concerned about my safety - "Dad, this guy could be an axe murderer :eek:!" Had a good time despite low water (and I'm still alive).
Funny, my wife is concerned for my safety also. Are there any Ax murderers coming on this trip?
Anyway, I am putting in for the days off and plan on coming. What is the approximate tally thus far? I have two tarps.I guess a cooler with brews will be in order. Anything else special to bring? Coleman peak one lantern is usually in my pack. My plan is to leave NNJ around 4AM, stop at Cracker Barrel in Albany around 6. Hopefully be at put in by 10.
White Wenonah Prism, Brown Buick Minivan with OBX, LBI, OAK, TCNJ stickers on rear.

Last edited:
No ax murders, just good old folks looking to kick back for a few days with like minded people. You won't need to bring anything out of the ordinary. Two tarps is fine if you want to haul em, I'm bringing mine but it's really not that big so...
I think we have 7-8 people, maybe a few more, probably should do a head count but then it sounds too organized...haha
Bring a camera, some good campfire humour/stories. A chair?
Glad you can make it.

Funny, my wife is concerned for my safety. Are there any Axe murders coming on this trip?
Anyway, I am putting in for the days off and plan on coming. What is the approximate tally thus far? I have two tarps.I guess a cooler with brews will be in order. Anything else special to bring? Coleman peak one lantern is usually in my pack. My plan is to leave NNJ around 4AM, stop at Cracker Barrel in Albany around 6. Hopefully be at put in by 10.

Mine too. Not so much about one of you guys being an axe murderer but more about the drive - 6+ hrs. She thinks I'm too old to be going without one of my sons along to look after me. But they have to participate in that dirty 4 letter word... work! Oh... the joys of retirement. The last 8 1/2 yrs seem more like 8 1/2 months.

I was hoping to pack lite but looking at the pile in the family room, I have almost as much volume as I had for 9 days on the Manistee River in May (and it snowed) I sure hope Robin (or anybody else) brings a cart 'cuz I sure don't wanna carry all that stuff!

Jon

I murdered an Ax once, but then again I am a retired Postal Worker.

I'll leave my tarp at home sounds like we're tarp heavy.

Anyone fishing while there or know what is in season , I have had a non resident license but not this year, I think they have a three day visitors license or is it a day pass. Perhaps you can buy one online. In any event see you all around 9ish weather or not.

Anyone fishing while there or know what is in season , I have had a non resident license but not this year, I think they have a three day visitors license or is it a day pass. Perhaps you can buy one online. In any event see you all around 9ish weather or not.
DEC says Largemouth fishing is good, but I have only caught Smallmouths. I used Rapalas on edge of bogs. I believe they have a week pass. I bought a full year in the spring, I figured that I would make at least a second trip.

I think the fishing is best up around the major floating bog, but I haven't fished there in many years. I like what NY has done with non resident fishing licenses, good for a year from date of purchase rather than Jan 1st like it used to be. Same thing with non resident deer hunting, they dropped the price by 1/3, included a bear tag and small game license, good deal.

I see the weather calls for sunny skies Monday, Tuesday-Thursday cloudy with rain showers, sunny again on Friday....ha, builds character. Hope the winds hold off, it would be fun to paddle down the lake if it's calm.

Robin - Our esteemed Governor finally got the message that tourism, including hunting & fishing, are important parts of the state's economy. In a state where agriculture is still the #1 industry, both pursuits remain popular in NYS. At this point I've begun to hear a few complaints about how much the Governor has actually promoted the Adirondacks. Many say it's leading to an overuse situation but that remains mostly in the High Peaks. I think the backcountry canoe areas are still relatively safe. Nothing like a couple of portages to eliminate the crowds.

That's all for now. Enjoy your trip everyone. I'm definitely a bit jealous as I'm at least 2 years away from retirement. Hopefully I'll be able to make a trip such as this sometime in the future. Until then...

be well.

snapper

Ted = raingear. My neighbour keeps asking if he needs to water his lawn this week or am I going canoeing soon! I'm starting to get my feelings hurt. Yes, I sure hope that the winds stay down or it will take me 3 days to get where everyone else is camped. No big deal. Winds won't be fair winds in my case. My cardiologist wasn't overly impressed about me going canoeing again until I told him I'd rather drop dead with a paddle in my hand than a TV remote.

It's a 3+ hour drive plus Customs and I want to be there by 9:00 Tuesday. That would mean getting up at 5:30 which I don't do unless I smell bacon frying and fresh coffee. So I'll probably get there sometime Monday evening and sleep in my truck. Dark grey Ram1500 with cap and a pukey yellow-green Shearwater on the roof. Really looking forward to this trip.

One good memory: Little Tupper Lake sitting around the wood stove in Robin's tent in a light rain eating Yellowcanoe's cinnamon buns and drinking fresh perked coffee.

Looks like a big deal of a get-together brewing. I was going to be coming through Low's in the same time frame as part of the larger Whitney Loop, but last night I decided that ADK would have to wait until November (if not frozen yet). Heading up to Bwca tomorrow for 2 week solo. May the weather forecaster's be wrong again and "decent" weather prevails. Hope to see a group photo when I get back...that would be pretty cool.

Cheers,

Barry

We'll have to drop out I'm afraid. Work work work. Moan moan moan.
Thanks for the open invite Robin, I appreciate it; I'm sure you will all have a good time. Take pictures.
Guys, throw a log on the fire and sip a cold beer for me.

re: Axe murderers...I was going to bring my axe and wear my goalie mask, just to "break the ice".
Last summer when I explained to our kids we were going on a canoe trip with internet friends, I was given looks of consternation and disappointment. Our sons and daughters took turns echoing back to us every stern warning I'd ever delivered to them over the years. They weren't kidding. They gave us the gears; everything except "What do their parents do?" and "Don't accept a ride from strangers." I thought of that last one all the way to the put-in at Marshall Lake. That would explain the silly grin on my face. I'm telling you, if Rob had've offered me candy I would've busted a rib laughing.

Too bad but totally understandable Odyssey, life happens, maybe next time, I was looking forward to seeing you guys.

Back