• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Lows Lake Sept 27/28/29

Reaction score
Anyone interested in spending 3 days canoe camping at Lows Lake in NY's Adirondacks is welcome to join fellow member Ted and myself on Tues, the 27 thru Thursday the 29th of Sept.
No doubt the conditions will dictate where we camp but it's pretty much a relaxing 3 days enjoying the beauty of Lows Lake.
Sorry about the mid week thing but that's the beauty of being retired.

As you mention, it's the beauty of being retired. Hopefully I'll be able to join you in a couple of years. Until then, I guess I'll spend that time getting ready for the upcoming weekend's trip; rafting on the Hudson.

That's all for now. Have a great trip and until next time...be well.

snapper

I can find my way up there on those dates what part of the lake do you favour ?

That would be great if you can make it. I'm pretty much open to any site, but just one idea would be 13-17, maybe even 18 if the wind is not too bad. 13-17 can be made even in a strong wind out of the west.
I have never had a problem driving up from Connecticut (early start 5 am) and making it out to 18 by mid afternoon. If it's calm I can make the other end of the lake.
I have made it to the west end in a pretty good chop also.

I explored Grassy Pond last spring, can't say that those sites did it for me kind of small confined views compared to out on the main Lake.
A day trip to Bog Lake is an option.
Nothing written in stone for sure.

I explored Grassy Pond last spring, can't say that those sites did it for me kind of small confined views compared to out on the main Lake.

Wow... thought I was the only one... I love sites 20, 21, and 22... You can see who's coming and going, and you get at least SOME visibility to the east and west for the sunrise/sunset. You can't see much but south from Grass Pond, and it's way farther (though some do like the isolation). And it does make a nice day trip from 20/21/22; lunch up on Grass Pond Mountain, around Parker Island or over their causeway, through Grass Pond, over toward the southwest, and then, if the wind is right, a quick jerry-rigged sail back in time for dinner.

Someday I'll be retired and can do this.

Love the map... especially the "car top launch" over by Big Deer Pond... gonna make getting in WAY easier next year! LOL

edit: Campsite 12 is also off... it's a little to the east, on the very edge of the boundary between the scout camp and the park. Actually, the boundary may be what's off, not the site. Regardless, you can camp there.

Last edited:
Thats the spirit!!! I will be in Niagara right about then...if I had more time.......

Christy

This is looking good. So, Robin, when I get there, you'll probably get there first. I'll just start paddling by the 13 to 17 sites until I see a w/c canoe. Sound about right?

I was hoping to meet at the put in, we can figure out a set time and go from there. I think your closer to the put in than I am, not sure what Ed's (forest runes) thoughts are.
I know you have the issue with the border crossing Ted, but your a lot closer to Low's than us so meeting at the put in should work out well, sometime in the am.

border crossing.. I haven't ever seen Prescott to Ogdensburg backed up at all. Even last month in the height of travel season

I've never had wait time or any other issues crossing the border. If I get to the put-in first, look for an old fart snoozing in a hammock.

Just a heads up.. Around 7:30 pm almost due south you ought to be able to get a great view of the Milky Way

Back