• Happy National No Socks Day! 🧦🚫👣

Lows Lake Sept 27/28/29

I've never had wait time or any other issues crossing the border. If I get to the put-in first, look for an old fart snoozing in a hammock.

Just planning ahead...solo guy, canoe on roof, lots reason for the border guys to raise flags...been there...

"please pull over there and go into the office"..1/2 hour later your on your way...

"Old fart in a hammock"

There is a perfect spot to the right as you walk down the road to the water. I've waited for my other paddlers there in my hammock a few times!

Hijack warning..
For the Star deprived there is a five day star party in Acadia National Park. Lots of canoeing during the day and photo ops and workshops at night. The Acadia Night Sky Festival runs Sept 21-25. Its just too far for me to run over to Lows on the 27th! ( plus knee replacement surgery is upcoming so I dont think I can do that paddle. Walking on uneven ground is painful)
http://www.acadianightskyfestival.com/

I'm going to that!

Ideal vacation would be to combine the two...

PS. I have a campsite reserved with extra room

Right now that means I'm also an old guy in a hammock.

I have a trade show in NJ that weekend, with delivery of Chairs, etc on Monday down there. I'm still trying to figure out if I can squeeze in the trip.

No Title

I have some days to use up by the end of the year. What did you have in mind site and food wise, group cooking or individual? I will try to get up, beautiful time of year. I could probably get up to paddle in together.

Attachments

• photo920.jpg
    photo920.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 0
Since I'm not sure about dietary restrictions for anybody and not sure how many are showing up,I think it's best to just "do our own thing" when it comes to food. I was put on all sorts of dietary restrictions after my latest heart attack 6 months ago, so I have to eat my own crap anyway.

Anyone interested in spending 3 days canoe camping at Lows Lake in NY's Adirondacks is welcome to join fellow member Ted and myself on Tues, the 27 thru Thursday the 29th of Sept.
No doubt the conditions will dictate where we camp but it's pretty much a relaxing 3 days enjoying the beauty of Lows Lake.
Sorry about the mid week thing but that's the beauty of being retired.
Sorry the response took so long, had my wife out "camping" and no cell service. Been having back problems for a couple weeks (improving) and if it doesn't get worse, I'll be there. About a 6+ hr drive, so depending on start time, I may drive up late Monday afternoon.

Jon

I have some days to use up by the end of the year. What did you have in mind site and food wise, group cooking or individual? I will try to get up, beautiful time of year. I could probably get up to paddle in together.

Great, Hope to see you there.
Bring your own food is the best for everyone imo, if you want to bring something to share, that's fine, but I plan on just bringing a soft sided cooler with some quick to fix meat and a few cold brews.

So far the plan is to try and paddle up to sites 13-18. Those site's put us close to the lake for a chance to explore on day two. If the lake is glass, 18 is a great group site with a great view of the lake, but subject to wind. Site 17 is nice if it's windy.

This is all subject to approval by the group. I'm open to anything that works for the group.

In the event we don't get that far for whatever reason, site 6 below the upper dam is a nice group site.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_forests_pdf/lowsmap.pdf

Last edited:
Hi Robin,
​Just spotted this thread. My buddy Claude and I coincidentally have planned to drive up from MD on that Tuesday. It's a long drive so we usually stop at Raquette Lake and camp on the first island we come to the first night. We weren't sure where we were going to paddle but if you guys are in Lowes we may pop in there Wed. We always prepare our own meals etc . Hope we can catch up with you then!
Regards,
Dave

Hi Robin,
​Just spotted this thread. My buddy Claude and I coincidentally have planned to drive up from MD on that Tuesday. It's a long drive so we usually stop at Raquette Lake and camp on the first island we come to the first night. We weren't sure where we were going to paddle but if you guys are in Lowes we may pop in there Wed. We always prepare our own meals etc . Hope we can catch up with you then!
Regards,
Dave

Excellent, if you need, I have a tandem Royalex I could leave on my truck for you to borrow.

Robin,
We have our solo canoes. We both like paddling on the left which is problematic for us in a tandem, but thanks for the offer.
​YC: We tried that late one Sept and the Horseshoe Lake spots were all taken by RVs. It's about a 10 hr drive to Raquette and that's long enough for one day.

Just gave my boss the bad news that I'm Paddling and can't go to NJ.
I'm in and will have my reflector oven, as always.

Last edited:
Robin,
We have our solo canoes. We both like paddling on the left which is problematic for us in a tandem, but thanks for the offer.
​YC: We tried that late one Sept and the Horseshoe Lake spots were all taken by RVs. It's about a 10 hr drive to Raquette and that's long enough for one day.
The thing is that many of those RVs may be unoccupied waiting till the next weekend. They are not supposed to do that. I know it happens I camped in one space anyway once.

The thing is that many of those RVs may be unoccupied waiting till the next weekend. They are not supposed to do that. I know it happens I camped in one space anyway once.

Over the last two years our party has talked w both of the 'newer' rangers who serve out of Tupper Lake and Lake Durant camp areas about just this problem and between their priorities, old habits, inertia, no will power or no time to check, no interest...we haven't seen that unfortunate habit change at all...despite acknowledgement by both men (who we other wise had good and enjoyable conversations about camping, fishing, boating, winter activities, etc) I don't see anything changing.
At Durant several times in the last 2 years, large 5th wheel trailers have been parked under no camping signs or left for a week at a time in one of the several designated sites...the Ranger residence being, what 1/2 mile away...? and nothing has been done. And the DEC guys seem more bent on law-enforcement duties than complementing the Rangers activities. Low manpower, too, I am sure... Still, annoying to those of us who do it right.

Since we also winter hot tent out there several times a winter, the activities of certain sled drivers have also caused us much annoyance. And the offical response, equally disinterested.

Back