• Happy National No Socks Day! 🧦🚫👣

Lows Lake Sept 27/28/29

Here's some questions I was asked about Low's Lake.

"So I'm not familiar with Lows Lake. Is the put in handy to the parking area or do I need to bring a cart? Are we going to be doing any carries/postages or is it all clear paddling? Do I need to pack lite or is it safe to pack a lot of stuff?"

The put in is 20 yards from the gate where you can off load.

There is a 1/3 mile portage at the "upper dam" which is cart friendly, I am bringing a cart for anyone to use. I will stash it there in the woods as I always do.
There is also a lift over at the "floating bog" upstream of the upper dam if water conditions are low.

Pack what you want, it's a pretty laid back affair so a cooler or lawn chair or any other luxury is fine. No need to skimp on comfort.

I'll be at the put in at 9 am, can we plan on being on the water by 10 am latest?

We're thinking about it.
Might become our only 2016 trip. Start at Lila and travel over to Lows for a couple days, returning to Lila.

Last edited:
We're thinking about it.
Might become our only 2016 trip. Start at Lila and travel over to Lows for a couple days, returning to Lila.
OOH the Harrington Creek portage and the railway portage.. Its going to be leaf season.. Include camera.
The first portage I believe is still an ankle breaker.. rocks under tall grass. Its been a few years

This would be an excellent opportunity for the gathering throng to put eyes on the camping sites on Horsehoe Lake that would be open (before they open the gate to the dam and the road down to the old station and train tracks) with a thought towards next spring and an early ice out gathering... just a thought.

We're thinking about it.

Now that would be something if you were able to make it Brad. Keeping my fingers crossed!

This would be an excellent opportunity for the gathering throng to put eyes on the camping sites on Horsehoe Lake that would be open (before they open the gate to the dam and the road down to the old station and train tracks) with a thought towards next spring and an early ice out gathering... just a thought.

Maybe, I have tried camping there right after ice out.. half of the sites were mostly underwater.and the ground too soft to drive on without a winch.

When I spoke to the ranger about planning last years ice out gathering he mentioned camping at the snow plow turn around across from the Horseshoe Lake campsites. I went by and looked when I camped this April at Lows.
It was pretty wet and didn't look inviting fwiw, ok for the RV's that sometime use it, but not great for tenters.

I like the idea of scoping out the campsites now and planning for an ice out gathering next spring with hot tents, or whatever tents and canoes.

Robin, the put in is at the Lows Upper Dam?

And you get in there off Rt 421, then down the west side of Hitchins Pond?

Robin, the put in is at the Lows Upper Dam?

And you get in there off Rt 421, then down the west side of Hitchins Pond?
Put in is at Lows Lower Dam. The road to Upper is for DEC rangers only and is gated so you cant make an error
You turn off 421 at44.124600 long 74.626648 to that road. It ought to be signed.
The coordinates might make looking on Google Maps a little easier.

So no there is no driving along Hitchins. You paddle that. It's very pretty.

From rt 30 follow 421, Horseshoe Lake will appear on your right, just after the pavement ends there will be a dirt road off to the left. It has a sigh "Bog River Flow" or "Lows Lake", take that left and it takes you to the put in-parking lot at the lower dam.

Got it. I will most likely go up the night before and spend the night at one of the sites on Horseshoe, retirement is a good thing.

Is the carry around the upper dam easy to find? I can't see it on satellite.

Yes it's very easy to find. There was an old lodge there at one time and it has been removed but the path around the dam is an old road in great shape for a cart/walking.

Is the carry around the upper dam easy to find? I can't see it on satellite.
And its short.. 200 m.. Cartable
But after you do that and put in you go about 200 m and get out to drag over a short bog.. Boots are handy If the summer has smiled the bog may have shifted or people made a channel

Back