• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

How do you inflate your air mattress?

I used my lungs until I noticed mold growing inside my first exped mat. The mold lead to leaking seams. I had to throw it in the garbage. That was before exped invented their schnozzle bag. Since years I use exclusively the schnozzle bag and my mats show no sign of mold anymore.

although swinging that bag around inside a tent to try to capture a bag full of air is sub-optimal.
I just leave it attached to the valve and fill it with air. This way you will have to refill and pump a few more times, yes, but without "pivoting".

I still use the ascend self inflating pad that I got at a Bass Pro shop several years ago. It's about an inch and half thick when inflated. I'll lay a wool military blanket over it, and I sleep very well. I've had it for several years, and no holes in it yet.

I use the stuff stack that came with my Klymit mattress - it has a built-in connector. You don't need "wind" to fill the sack, just open it and the volume of air that occupies the open space is then trapped when you start squishing. It takes about 7 bag-fulls - I don't like it too full, hips/shoulders should just barely be off the ground if side-sleeping.

I use the stuff stack that came with my Klymit mattress - it has a built-in connector. You don't need "wind" to fill the sack, just open it and the volume of air that occupies the open space is then trapped when you start squishing. It takes about 7 bag-fulls - I don't like it too full, hips/shoulders should just barely be off the ground if side-sleeping.
that is exactly how the snozzle bag works

I have a couple of these. The big ones (Klymit Static V insulated, Thermarest insulated, and thermarest normal neoair) all require 16-20 breathes to inflate. The smallest, a Klymit Inertia(?) weighs only 8oz, and inflates in about 10 breathes, but it's thinner and only designed to support parts of you. I don't like doing any of it manually.

I've seen people use an air bag, and that seems better.

I recently got a notice from Amazon that a 3oz USB-rechargable pump was on sale down from $30-something to $23, so I bought it. Supposed to be good for 5-6 inflations. We'll see.

Back