• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

Barn find-might be good, might be so so

Finished some planking work and a new rib on this Chestnut Chum, then sanded the hull. New #10 canvas is stretched tight in the barn. I need to apply one more coat of Interlux varnish and if it dries fast, I'll have the canoe sitting in the canvas with weight in it this weekend.

I ordered #12 canvas from Northwoods Canoe in Maine for the 15' Farber "barnfind" canoe. The hull is so smooth that I want to take advantage of the light weight and try to keep it on the lighter side.

I have a piece of #12 ( 8 oz) for my 14 foot Huron too. Same idea. If it works out I may keep it for myself.

Christy

I finished the canvassing the 15' Chestnut Chum and applied the Old Town filler now the wait for 30-40 days before I can sand/paint. I'm very happy with the results, smooth hull makes for a smooth canvas and my stem canvassing came out good.

I'm waiting for my #12 canvas to come from Northwoods Canoe in Maine, then I'll canvas the Farber 15'- then I'll have 4 canoes drying in the barn.

I finished canvassing and filling the canvas yesterday on the 15' Farber, I made filler from the recipe in the excellent book "This Old Canoe" by Mike Elliott. I also used lightweight #12 canvas on this canoe with just 2 coats of filler, not 3.
Now for the 30-40 day wait for the filler to dry before sanding and painting.

2WuxgK3gHLJ4wWZZ03PdUCCrjrxWDHO2KBdp_UM1zQO_qUm1K2QEqUIpEr2DoXA8PItNXZ7hQysnBM9dFl6JC0_eg4IoFxCCh6LCRm_ZLuoh7UXdhjDeiIgbgsBAqdd_3rEs19Hx7wqWTz3VgUFNrXqyxdG7y49QEWJ6R_pL8_lHeSVtc0CYiVkf5H6TN-wSaEOztHrwXBhEZDzPo3FWGxJq8FLosoQ1JmmbM7ePGGinYO0GVgNj37_JXxnHZ86QneXOrVX6C9zpVLIHZV5v9Y2u5LKal4uV8O8dRqnNT5A2eT6qUKVLRVQsxZjiQTFP80ffIbBceQ2pVWUNqyABBVzFH_He2B2ieBM943o8uga0B0_aamVJswOA5y0fH5hvHs9VrZB_w21VqExErcaTiTuIjhf7tfM2JdEQ3jqtgqWjKIqHqplnDKjQDOYPp8sova3iNWWDT9NHsFf3UbD4sdxOcmZaRv0naXyOQtL9vZ0jL7-dtIW2UYchsQVKYlqX5coq0KOw7VX0rSDWl-3VW2-CUBG2ShGVYq-TunYq9CPcExy4bMZENj7X2hGCPHahSLTH9OpzgdzgXO2dpEhX6Qw3FD51hKi3Mvft85ideQht6IVZ=w480-h640-no

That is a pretty looking little boat. What colour are you thinking for all of these beasts?

Well, we have a can of green paint for the 16' Old Town, a can of red for the 16' Thomson Bros, and for the 15' Chestnut Chum and this 15' Farber I have 2 quarts of Chestnut Prospector lite green.
A 17' Chestnut Prospector I painted that great lite green color that so many came out of the factory with. (like Abenakiregion's beauty)

Nice work Robin. You must be running out of old barns by now? For the record, that pale green Chesnut colour is my favourite.

Yes, That Chestnut Grey ( pale green color) is my favorite as well!! Even if I really like red canoes!

Nice work Robin. You must be running out of old barns by now? For the record, that pale green Chesnut colour is my favourite.
I like it too, over at the canoe shop it's not a favorite and I scored 2 quarts of it for next to nothing. I think they see so many Old Towns and other high end canoes but very few Chestnuts. Not a whole lotta those canoes get painted to look like a lowly Chestnut. (half in jest of course).

I spent this morning hanging the Farber in the barn, the canoe shop is full too and I have 3 plastic projects in the loft.

That is a nice color. I was surprised to learn that it was a traditional color, it seems modern to me. Being ignorant about old canoes I thought green and red were the only options back then.

Thanks for making the world a better place and making these boats affordable to the average person.

I pulled the Chestnut Chum down today and gave it it's first sanding with 120 grit, then it's first paint. This color is close but not the same as the final color, which has some grey in it. It will be the same as the Prospector in post 29

So after a few coats of paint both the Chum and Farber are beginning to look better. The weather has been humid lately but yesterday I managed to get a coat on each canoe and they sat in the sun today, should be good for a final coat tomorrow, then finish up the varnish on the gunnels and one more coat on the interior. Then the seats and stem bands.
I ended up staying with "Sea Green" Briteside Interlux paint for both canoes.
These two should be ready for the WCHA assembly, they might not sell but it will be fun to have them on the lawn next to some really nicely restored canoes.
Nothing wrong haveing two Chums and a 15' Farber up on the racks over the winter.

Chum on the left, Farber has some "dew" dropping on it this evening so the ribs are showing in the pic.

Last edited:
Today I worked on the Farber, I wasn't too sure about this canoe but now I'm feeling really good about this canoe. 32 1/2 " wide, 15' under 60lbs, 13 & 1/4 " from the floor to the top of the gunnels. Good little solo tripper without a big name. I'll see how it doe$ in Paul Smiths, NY in a couple of weeks at the WCHA Assembly

If I could find them out here I would pick up a Faber and a Picard to go with my Bastien. They are not quite as nice as the Chum but they are darn close.

Great looking boats Robin. Good luck with the potential sale at the WCHA assembly. Wish I could've made it to see your hot tent display too.

Back