• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

Barn find-might be good, might be so so

Reaction score
Heading 2 hours north tomorrow to buy a mystery canoe. Owner says it's been hanging in the barn for 10 years, no rot, good restorable condition, original wood canvas canoe without the canvas.
He doesn't know the manufacturer, 15" 6" or maybe 16'. The price is worth the ride and who knows what I'll find. Pics tomorrow afternoon.

Ahhhh you have the same sickness that we do. This summer, so far, I have bought a freighter in Niagara Falls and a Huron in London. This of course necesitates a road trip...yeeaaayyy. I did of course snag two closer to home also...a Champlain and a Langford. It is going to be a busy winter.

Yeh, good luck on that Robin. I hope to be looking at two boats when I get back East next week. I need a longer one, a lighter one, a high volume one without a keel, a yellow one .......

So it was a long ride to Colrain, Ma., about 180 miles round trip. Beautiful country up there. Got to meet a nice guy, we talked hunting and other things old timers talk about.

The canoe turned out to be a 15' (32" wide)Huron or one of those related companies. It has a decal but it's almost worn off, I can see Que on the bottom right of the 2"x1" remains on the decks.
The ribs and planking are very good, the varnish just needs a light sanding and another coat of Interlux, the seats are babiche and in vg condition, stems like new, stem bands good, keel good, some warped plank to fix, sand the hull and install canvas and gunnels, filler and paint.

I was lucky to find this canoe at the price. Sometimes these long rides pay off.

DSC01962.JPG

see the "Que" at bottom right of the image
DSC01963.JPG

Typical arrow head Huron type deck,

DSC01964.JPG

It's missing the center thwart, but has a bow thwart. Not sure if it needs that bow thwart which interferes when soloing.

DSC01967.JPG

DSC01968.JPG

Sweet score !

I'm guessing, but those high seats, may have made it tippy, and so it saw a lot of good storage time, giving it the long life !

Fun looking project !

Jim

It is a Faber from Loretteville, Quebec. It would be one of the Huron's built at the same time as the Bastien Bros, Picard's, etc.

Last edited:
For realll? Nice find. That will be a good paddler ...they had the hull shape down pretty good. Definitely worth the drive.

Christy

I'm beginning to suspect Robin has some kind of psychic super powers; how else does this guy find all these hidden gems?
Nice find Robin. This one will be an absolute pleasure to work on I bet.
Nice decal detective work Karin.

ps I'm looking for a lightly used car sitting in some barn somewhere Robin. Can you put your Spidey senses to work for me?
Say, a 55-57 chevy Nomad.

Last edited:
Thanks Mihun, appreciate the decal find. It has steel Robertson screws in the gunnels, steel seat hanger bolts, which I'll replace with silicone bronze Robertson screws and bolts. I'm going to ditch that bow thwart and just have a center thwart, dropping the seats some also. I think I can save the decks, they are weathered but not rotted from what I saw from a quick check.

When the old guy opened the barn door and I saw the canoe hanging upside down, I knew it was a keeper. Before he could change his mind I shoved some cash in his hand and told him "count it, I got the canoe"
I never even looked at the bottom till half way home. I just strapped it on and got outta Dodge..;)

Wow. Awesome find, Robin. One of these years I will be ready to actually paddle such a boat. Until then, I continue to pretend.

Great find Robin! That planking looks to be in remarkable condition. Should be a great project!

I'm not sure if the builder cut corners or just felt they weren't necessary, but quite a few planks are missing tacks (tacks hold the plank to interior ribs by a clinching method)

DSC01974.JPG

DSC01977.JPG

The good news is all the steel screws, bolts and missing tacks can be fixed, and the best news is this 15 footer will make a nice solo w/c canoe, it has a nice shaped hull imo, that is if your into old wooden canoes used for trippin':)

DSC01978.JPG

Well it is a Huron after all, although it is from one of the better makers. Picards are nicer too. Karin had that 15 foot Bastien and it was a super good solo, better than the little Chestnut Fox. You may find this rivals your Chum.

The thing about the tacks...they put them together pretty quick with all sorts of shortcuts as they had volume sales for Sears, The Bay, Eatons etc etc. I do like the nice lonnngggggg planking on that one though and if you add some tacks it will be just fine.

I have a 15 foot Bastien to pick up in London and a 14 footer sitting in the boathouse. These Hurons are actually very nicely designed hulls, just not put together with the care that better boats were. The use of green wood was one of the reasons for the widish gaps in the planking...lol. I like em though. Grab as many of those as you can find.

Christy

So now while I wait for the Old Town and Thompson Bros canoes canvas filler to cure I started on this Huron, new decks some plank and tighten up some tacks and replacing others,

ZKTU7S5BaVOHk5GUKfySu7cdJfTxDOzIa6jeVuzPaiMWUc1jDTyapOx7NRw-8JdV8SiymT_J5RsdWGFAIu5Mj2uPwQqD1I21gT7HPP35nAmW_nNnHfd4h24M8siuU1zBaS89sLfbDhGEG5ZFKre7TTp_CbCObYUPOq2uFHAQBMK6dQWj8XmNCBtaMkohH_McW20vEqd08PBditdV2uMEKwnj4mo5ZF_sYiCxEyb-GrnUL-2i_EuI_zyfZ4zfVwOgeD5tqcCVxS9n_PoA2rC5GiNnCio-OGWsvg3ChO09kS-NADg88o9e7Ndl2JQVBUjiwuM5vYsDo8q9Mh0SG__u0eBEoUQiYo86mRfC0Sma9hqih2lRK2nyOtVzk85KQFbsYQmtSHqSxTwr9AvWBQVqATb8eNKL5ftHuERyInsnwkH-sP1yMHCchRRvDb2HuYAr1jg0VM3sCtMX7MctZq-SD0Ubr106hQbyM0ZK2iKIHKWhG5WLqMtQgBs0jSA0OrxrGAGMWPNEy3YMSCYXyyQH9W6HbljYoPNBC1JPtKZtEU8_AOJH69FsZN1BORRACKb6ry0EqO_HGbcGXPIxK2mYjQmSaYVBGil21fhPNNcq2xz_FABM=w480-h640-no

and then I sanded the hull smooth, tomorrow varnish the interior and stretch the canvas, Sat hang the canoe in the canvas with some weight, Monday tack the canvas and fill it, then the big wait till the filler drys

lYWXXJoltQhRgRf1Qz9es5F7mtsiq2x6GXkpz6ZLIwboRwIrtSq7Z2XhY6WPwUH4FpZrH92HwJ55ozyVuN9GeUHhc6z7T5NpDukQ3QtP0j0-VOj6avKICweg0UJ9oSh3F_AAnT2HJcc5NuCfLw0S4CZD1WT0d9j4iGTbmP4k7klN3b_rZmCPMbMFpsJCnViPMZo9aP76Eb_AGvYif-tp5wD2PRe60VoVSzgZUmfqpfExeoFBzgXpUoSVVkKaux9iTZuRVQn4EoOUk1Y0pvoN8NnXPkR8TMbq8fXSosm5rWXxdESG1qmsLZwwFP_lb_XRLUwc610NewNCT6UAvcHJNxs7kvB2UYck2Ed7bueAPCyeFs9IU3wrrUKnTstqOaQgUQ6YniV7F8L-A9OpmI1ZLjl_wpb7cSZpVn_vUVSsMeofNH1QFcDeLw3vwdwlB8RUytb-sjYTeB5iKrWC7wnkZku_BZHem6Gky6463q_OkXAVHGVsVzSt0rGOm-2cemOwJ8uoTi7gy7BHFw9hZHiuBpFgDsJRzTAdb4GsQqrTE_ic0xShEZj7le4K00hV_mUyZcA_DumJo2gBpYMaYo9Jz0s9qE53Kr383CzwQBKhzy1ExW0n=w456-h398-no

In the background is another Chestnut Chum with a rib I steamed and bent today. That's next to be canvased.

Last edited:
Back