• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Curiosity and a Derelict Canoe

Reaction score
I'm posting a photos of a derelict canoe because I'm curious to know about it. It is different than most canoes I've seen, and wondered if anybody might recognize or know anything about it.

The canoe was on the wall behind the bar in a place that opened near me in 2019. It was mounted horizontally with the open side facing the customers.

People that worked at the bar told me the canoe behind the bar was excessed by the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum in St. Michaels, Md, and was not in sea worthy condition. I suspect somebody donated the defunct canoe to the Museum, and at some point the museum decided it wasn’t collection worthy, and somehow the bar ended up with it.

Over the several years the canoe hung behind the bar, it became a shelf for bar kitsch. It was filled with a portrait of the Dos Equis man, t-shirts, and beer/liqueur promo items. You had to look to see there was a canoe there. In fact, I would try to stump new patrons by telling them there was a canoe in the bar and asking them to find it.

Now the bar has been sold. When the new owners took over about a month ago, they replaced the canoe with three, big-screen TVs. The canoe, which I always thought would be cool to paddle, was taken down and thrown out the back door. So, I went out back and for the first time had a good look at it. I think it would have been relatively fast. Impressive decks. Because it came from the Museum, I suspect it was locally built, but no idea. I can’t tell how the oars were attached, but the better question is, why? G-canoe1.jpegG-canoe2.jpegG-canoe3.jpeg

It looks Canadian and those oars don't go with it. Peterborough, Lakefield, English, and many others made canoes like this. There may be tags on the outside of the hull at the ends of the thwarts. The link below has some examples.

Benson

Last edited:
Chip,

I've seen a canoe like that before, but not sure of the brand name. Try Lakefield, which was located in Ontario somewhere, likely now long defunct? (sort of like the canoe)

I have no idea what it is, but I also suspect the oars may not have been original equipment.

The three thwarts look like they are all dropped down from the inwale, unless that's just a camera angle illusion. But if so, why would that be? So they could be kneeled or sat upon?

Glenn, if I'm not mistaken the thwart ends are mortised into mounting blocks, which are in turn, mounted to the ribs... probably screwed through from the outside of the hull.

This may be a Peterborough or English canoe, both Canadian.

You may also find a model number on the thwart block if it is a Lakefield or on the thwart if it is an English as shown below.

Benson

Lakefield-3-48-16-a.jpgLakefield-18-24.jpgLakefield-18-113.jpg
English-20-50-33.JPG

Glenn, if I'm not mistaken the thwart ends are mortised into mounting blocks, which are in turn, mounted to the ribs... probably screwed through from the outside of the hull.

Okay, but I'm still curious as to why they would be attached this way. Is there some structural or functional benefit?

Is there some structural or functional benefit?

Yes, these canoes are built with a small outside gunwale and no inside gunwale as shown below. The block provides the necessary structural support between the thwart and the thin hull. It also lowers the thwart slightly which improves the comfort and stability for the paddler. There are other ways to solve these problems but this design has worked reasonably well for over a century.

Benson

page-10.gif

Last edited:
I visited the bar and asked if I could haul away the junker canoe. The owner wasn’t there at the time, but staff members think they will try to display the canoe elsewhere in the restaurant. Staff say the owner is usually there in the morning and I should try talking to him about it. I left my phone number but haven’t heard from the guy.

During the warm months, I don’t often go to the bar (out paddling). and I never go to the bar in the morning! I’ll have to make a special trip and hope the owner is there. I have no interest in restoring this canoe, but I’ll make the inquiry for CT net! I can look for identifying marks while I’m there.

An aside: it is interesting that restaurants and bars so frequently display a canoe. And a lot of the places, there is no logical connection between a canoe and the establishment. If you are reading this forum you are a canoe nut and of course we appreciate the artistic merits of a canoe. Others also must enjoy looking at canoes. Weird.

: it is interesting that restaurants and bars so frequently display a canoe. And a lot of the places, there is no logical connection between a canoe and the establishment.
Campfire Grill in Flatrock NC has a nice OT WC hanging in the restaurant. Not really canoe country (but there are some paddling opportunities around).

(Couldn’t see serial number for ID.)

it is interesting that restaurants and bars so frequently display a canoe.

Canoes seem to be popular with decorators and often get placed in any area with a high ceiling, even if there is no connection to paddling.

Benson

Last edited:
Back