• Happy Scream Day! 😱

Advice on severely long boat lead time.

Reaction score
I custom ordered a northstar B17 late November, a couple weeks later I received a build completion date of February 22nd. Seemingly reasonable amount of time? Sure, winter time, not much paddling going on. February comes and goes, no boat, no update. I ask for an update and and told another week in march. I ask for another update and am told that the boat on march 21 will not be ready until April 15th now.

Its April 19th and still no update, no boat. Im quite frustrated and it’s really killing the experience of purchasing this boat. With the high cost of the boat I would have expected better communication and service.

Any advice on what I can do at this point?

My condokences. Keep bugging dealer or, cancel and go elsewhere.

I forget which board - bwca.com maybe - but a Northstar exec is a member. Post your complaint there.

So its not unreasonable to think this is taking to long?
The overall timeline might not be bad, but the constant can-kicking is. *I* would be canceling and going with another dealer or maker, depending on which entity was giving me the run-around.

I used to be a project manager. I didn't tolerate that behavior from my suppliers/installers, and I didn't let our team do it either. Being late is ok sometimes. Not communicating is ok sometimes. Being late and not communicating? Someone else can get the money.

Last edited:
Are you dealing direct with Northstar or going through a dealer? And are you communicating via email or phone?

The overall timeline might not be bad, but the constant can-kicking is. *I* would be canceling and going with another dealer or maker, depending on which entity was giving me the run-around.

I used to be a project manager. I didn't tolerate that behavior from my suppliers/installers, and I didn't let our team do it either. Being late is ok sometimes. Not communicating is ok sometimes. Being late and not communicating? Someone else can get the money.

Im worried about canceling because I was required to purchase the boat upfront to place the custom order, which wasnt even all that crazy, just ww eyelets, lining holes, walnut trim and cut down seat drops.

The dealer claimed the boat was damaged during removal from the mold but no explanation as to what happened beyond that, so i dont know if their just late or what…

Try to order a Placidboat from Joe Moore in Lake Placid, you will be told to pay a deposit and then to wait a full year to buld your order.

Last edited:
So its not unreasonable to think this is taking to long?
I heard from reports many canoe manufacturers have long lead times. Swift was out 9 or 10 months, was told at Canoecopia down to 6 or so. I thought they were all pretty good at meeting a promised date. Sounds like something went wrong and they are having to remake it. I could accept that if they called and apologized and explained and, just maybe, threw something else in.

I guess it's how fixed you are on this particular canoe - and it sounds it's very important. I'd probably hold on in same position, but in fact all my canoes were bought used.

The president of Northstar is a member at bwca.com, and others there are close to Northstar. Post there. I'd estimate they'll reach out in a day or two. I think they are or want to be that good at PR and customer service.

Such an easy solution...
CANCEL the order, get your money back
And with that money, BUILD 4 or 5 boats yourself. Lead time? It's up to you, but surely it wouldn't be more than 2 months.

Being late is ok sometimes. Not communicating is ok sometimes. Being late and not communicating? Someone else can get the money.

I fully agree. This is horrible service from both the manufacturer and dealer.

made the purchase through the dealer

We know the manufacturer. How about telling us who the dealer is, so that future buyers can be extra careful when dealing with them.

I was required to purchase the boat upfront to place the custom order

I believe 12 or 13 of my canoes and kayaks were bought new. If ordered, I never had to pay the full price up front, even for a completely custom outrigger being made 3,000 miles away, and I would never do so. Such a request, in and of itself, would make me very suspicious about the solvency and integrity of the seller. After all, if the demand so exceeds the supply, the manufacturer should easily be able to re-direct a cancelled boat to another purchaser.
I would get ahold of Bear at Northstar

Bearpaulsen is also a member here, although he hasn't posted in several years. You could send him a private conversation (pm) from this site, which will generate an email to him privately. It will also alert him that his company is getting bad PR on a top canoe forum.

I hope this works out for you, Trippy. Frustrations aside, it probably will.

My condokences. Keep bugging dealer or, cancel and go elsewhere.

I forget which board - bwca.com maybe - but a Northstar exec is a member. Post your complaint there.
Bearpaulsen - bwca.com. He is a Northstar employee, maybe plant mgr or something like that.

Im worried about canceling because I was required to purchase the boat upfront to place the custom order, which wasnt even all that crazy, just ww eyelets, lining holes, walnut trim and cut down seat drops.
Full purchase price? That doesn't seem right. Your custom build isn't all that unusual and as Glenn mentioned, it should easily sell if sitting in a retailer's inventory.

I ordered a Northstar canoe at the beginning of January 2023 through a local dealer/retailer and paid a 50% deposit up front. I was told by the retailer (who spoke with Ted Bell directly) that the canoe should be ready to be delivered with the first load of canoes to the retailer in March 2023 but perhaps on the second load in April. I was notified that my canoe was on its way a few days before it arrived and it showed up at the retailer on March 11. The retailer mentioned that one of the canoes that showed up wasn't what another customer had ordered so mistakes can happen and I'm sure mistakes (such as your canoe's mis-manufacture) can mess up Northstar's build and delivery schedule.
The dealer claimed the boat was damaged during removal from the mold but no explanation as to what happened beyond that, so i dont know if their just late or what…
I'd follow up on the status of your canoe through the dealer.

Last edited:
Ok guys after a lengthy email to Northstar on Wednesday, I received a text from the dealer that my boat was delivered to him two days earlier, however I was not notified. Also Northstar didn’t respond to my email directly but I was told in text that Northstar told the dealer I was looking for an update.

I paid for the boat upfront via credit card and so the entire balance was paid at the point of order.

I haven’t mentioned the dealer and was trepidatious to even mention the builder because theres a chance that this could have been a one off occurrence or perhaps I’m being to needy.

This has however spoiled my excitement for this boat and the brand. I basically had no budget on this it came down to Northstar, Swift, and Souris. With the intention of purchasing the B17 this year and a B19 next year for family trips when the kids are bigger. Perhaps I will look elsewhere.

Last edited:
I own 2 Souris Rivers (Q17 & Tranq) and a Swift and have gotten good service from both factories to even though I bought them used.

Thanks for the update.
This has however spoiled my excitement for this boat and the brand. I basically had no budget on this it came down to Northstar, Swift, and Souris. With the intention of purchasing the B17 this year and a B19 next year for family trips when the kids are bigger.
Hopefully, the excitement returns once you have it securely tied down on the way home. As for the rest... seems like a legit reason to buy more canoes. Maybe some different dealers, a few different companies... Kids will soon be big enough for their own solo boats too...

Good to see the situation is resolved & I hope you enjoy.

Back