• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

A Raven for Christmas

I like the keel accent strip! I would finish stripping the hull and then fit and install the outer stems.

Me ?
I would fit the curved piece, with the inside edge parallel, to the curved piece on the other side.
That would give two parallel edges, to fit your accent strip to.
Now on the inside of those, sand a slight outward bevel. Fit the inside, with a slight bevel.

It would be easier to show, if I was there ! Ha !

You will get it !
Yes I think I follow you. I'll mock something up to see how it works out.
Roy

I like the keel accent strip! I would finish stripping the hull and then fit and install the outer
Yes I figure I'll dry fit my outer stems, mark them and then work in my accent strip, so I get it straight. And then I'll install my outer stems.
Going to be hard to cough up money on the glass and epoxy after I blew 500$ on the Demonic Subaru. I hate that car.

"That's the story the Raven told me,
It's the only one he knows. "

The most interesting stripper I have ever seen.

IMG_20231124_101211511.jpg
IMG_20231124_151500789.jpg
Smooothing along. Rough sanded with 80 grit. Going to fill bad spots and screw holes. I am debating, with the other voices in my head, thinking of doing a seal coat. If I do, should I sand to 120 grit then seal coat and then re-sand the hull to 120 or 150? Or should I seal coat, with it rough sanded to 80 grit, and then finish sand to 120 or 150 grit?

Salvador and Pablo said to skip the seal coat. I'm confused 😕. Don't know what to do now. I didn't do a seal coat on my first one, and it turned out ok.

If you seal coat, don't sand. just scrape any irregular stuff, that might hold your cloth away from the hull.
Run your hand over the hull, that will tell you. Don't wait long after the seal coat. Once the epoxy has cured past tacky ? Scrape, and apply cloth. You will get the best bond.

Are you going to leave the stems protruding? at least that's what it looks like in the last photo.

Mark
Yes I need to round them off like the print showsIMG_20231125_071511336.jpg
I didn't want to rush into it. Easier to remove the wood then to put it back on. IMG_20231119_200659934~2.jpg
My wife wanted me to leave this sticking up and carve a dragons head out of it. Like a Viking ship.

That's funny, and I think it would be cool to do that. What I meant is the part of the stem below the water line. In the photo it looks like the stem isn't fair with the hull, that you left some of it proud of the rest of the hull, almost like a short section of keel. Maybe that's what you're saying you need to do.

Nice looking hull. I'm looking forward to seeing it glassed.

Mark

IMG_20231124_101211511.jpg

That's funny, and I think it would be cool to do that. What I meant is the part of the stem below the water line. In the photo it looks like the stem isn't fair with the hull, that you left some of it proud of the rest of the hull, almost like a short section of keel. Maybe that's what you're saying you need to do.

Nice looking hull. I'm looking forward to seeing it glassed.

Mark

View attachment 138279
Yes that is staying proud.

That will be a problem with glassing.
Fiberglass cloth does not like hard corners. That is why bias cut strips are used to wrap the stems, the fibers cross diagonally so they don’t try to make a right angle turn.
A square edge proud of the hull will not take glass.
Jim

OK, I've seen people do that before and wondered why. I think you'll sacrifice some of the maneuverability and the canoe will handle a little more as if it's hogged towards the ends. In other words, doing eddy turns will be a bit more dicey than if those were faired. I assume the Raven is a larger version of the Osprey/Kite, which is a great canoe for turning in and out of eddys.

Mark

That will be a problem with glassing.
Fiberglass cloth does not like hard corners. That is why bias cut strips are used to wrap the stems, the fibers cross diagonally so they don’t try to make a right angle turn.
A square edge proud of the hull will not take glass.
Jim
Uhn, I thought about that a bit ago.

Do I need to glass over the stems?

OK, I've seen people do that before and wondered why. I think you'll sacrifice some of the maneuverability and the canoe will handle a little more as if it's hogged towards the ends. In other words, doing eddy turns will be a bit more dicey than if those were faired. I assume the Raven is a larger version of the Osprey/Kite, which is a great canoe for turning in and out of eddys.

Mark
Yet another thing to think about. If I'm not mistaken that was in the plans I got for it, unless I misunderstood it.

The outer stems run out past the inner stems about 10 inches.

Back