• Happy Birthday, Gary Cooper (1901-61)! 📽️☝🏻🕛

A Raven for Christmas

Awesome build Roybrew!

That’s the happiest cat I’ve ever seen.

What’s with all the horse figurines?
The horses are my wife's collection hobby of Breyer models. She's been collecting since she was a little girl. I build her display cabinets every now and thenScreenshot_2017-11-18-04-35-29.png
This one in 2017 solid cherry. Local sawmill lumber.IMG_20230226_153458925_HDR.jpgThis I made last year. It's black walnut. Local sawmill also.

I enjoy wood working, and building canoes. And talking, to much maybe. Thanks for compliment.

Cats are weird.

Started sanding the epoxy. I felt like I was cutting into the fiberglass cloth really easy. I was using 120 grit on the orbital sander. IMG_20231205_150007014.jpg
I cleaned the end with a wet rag and dried it off. I was all over that area and figured I was really tearing into it in a bad way.IMG_20231205_150017641.jpgAfter washing and drying this area. I could see the edge where the bias strip covered the stem. This next picture is after I applied 1 coat of semi-gloss polyurethane. I thought I'd see how it was going to look.IMG_20231205_151745037.jpg
There is a bad glare from the light near the bottom, but I thought it looked really good.

Question, When I'm sanding and I think I see the white cloth, is this just an impression of the weave that is getting white resin dust in it?
Roy

I generally only get exposed weave like that in areas where it is hard to get fill coats to adhere. I don't worry much about it though, as you have found out the varnish brings everything out nice again. One thing I would worry slightly about is the length of time between your last coat of epoxy and your first coat of varnish....looks like about three days by my calculation. If your epoxy is still slightly green, sometimes the varnish will not cure. Had it happen to me once, I usually wait five days now before sanding.

I generally only get exposed weave like that in areas where it is hard to get fill coats to adhere. I don't worry much about it though, as you have found out the varnish brings everything out nice again. One thing I would worry slightly about is the length of time between your last coat of epoxy and your first coat of varnish....looks like about three days by my calculation. If your epoxy is still slightly green, sometimes the varnish will not cure. Had it happen to me once, I usually wait five days now before sanding.
Thanks Mem, I brushed the varnish on that area to see how it was going to look. I won't do the full varnish until after the inside has been done. Then I'll finished sand the exterior and then varnish. This thin coat of varnish will be sanded off.

Thanks for your advice. It's been 3 years since I made my first canoe, and I've forgotten some things, things that I didn't really understand much of anyhow.
Roy

If you ever want to know what it will look like with varnish applied you can just wipe it with mineral spirits.

I sometimes sand into the cloth as well but try to avoid it. Like Mem said it's usually in areas where the weave wasn't completely filled.

Alan

It can be hard to fill the weave, on the sides, hull is vertical It's a gravity thing.
The next day, If I can see the weave ? I'll mix a small batch, and roll it on.

Giving the epoxy more cure time, may have helped.
120 is not too aggressive, you may have just spent too much time on the curve of the bilge.
It sands easier, than the top, because of the smaller surface area the sander has contact with.
It's always amazing how the varnish makes the feathered edges vanish !

Looking good !

Jim

i had a pet crow once for a couple of years. He came with an old log house.
He told me his story, the only one he knows.

Ads character IMO. Also, a few (admittedly unhelpful) thoughts...

"Old ways are best"... Any oxen around? You could always stain the interior with ox blood (you'll feel better than if you use your own for all of it) and it would probably blend nicely. I think you mix fat with the blood and the bonus is that you get a freezer full of meat.

(sorry, I really have no idea how to get if out. I'd probably try to work up a sweat, slice up an onion & glass over all of it while expounding on the suffering I do for my hobby) 🤷‍♂️

Glassed the inside today.IMG_20231229_151543362.jpgIMG_20231229_204511710.jpg
I think it turned out good. Got some scraping to do when it cures a little. I was about 2 feet short on the cloth, but I had plenty of pieces to make do. I'm thinking about skipping fill coats. I don't think it adds any value structurally.IMG_20231229_132939536.jpg
Lots of arm scrubbing afterward.
Roy

Back