• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

A Raven for Christmas

Looking at your blue clamps. Did you take the pads off, before you added the inner tube ? Hard for me to tell. I put the inner tube over the pads.
You are making progress !

Jim

I left the pads on. Better grip, less damages and keeps the tube from sliding off. I used them when I built my first canoe 3 years ago. Been in a box with the tubes since then. They help hold the strips in place while I staple the strips to the forms. A little extra squeeze goes a long way.

I had my doubts about curving the strips like this. Lot of pressure twisting them in place. I think when I get the strips on, and before I remove all the screws and staples, I'll go over the bow area with the steamer and heat gun. That should help relieve some stress on those strips. Then I'll install my outer stem if nothing pops loose.

I re-read Memaquay's Raven build from earlier in the year, so I could gather all the information I could. The chime is a real bear to reckon with.
Roy

Once you have completed stripping the entire hull, the curves should hold fine. I don't know about steaming them, I'd be worried about softening the glue. It is a cool idea, and looks very sharp!

Edited to say it looks like your next few strips will be the toughest as you are basically going from a vertical position to horizontal, and with short strips too. Might be time to pull out any narrow strips if you have them, like 1/2 inch or less.

Once the glue is dry I don't see why it won't work. Besides, if it doesn't, at least all of us know "don't do that". :)

(should look pretty cool when done... Are you planning on running the strips horizontally behind the Walnut strip? If doing the same on the stern, I can see the whiskey strip being a huge PIA)

Thanks Mem, I didn't think about using narrower strips. Excellent advice.

Gee thanks Gamma, I'm the guinea pig on this one. Oh well some idiot has to try it first. I think I'll stay horizontal all the way to the stern. I might try some type of inlay pattern on the bottom. I'm going to have lots of screw holes to fill, but oh well.

If it goes poof flip crack! Ugh I guess I'll clean it up and salvage what I can.
Thanks for advice
Roy

I gave up with the upward swoop of bow strips. I tried narrower strips but they just kinked and twisted. I taped a few horizontal strips in to see how it was going to lookIMG_20231004_175632177.jpg
It looked way to busy.IMG_20231008_130308717.jpgI went with a wider strips with a narrow sliver of walnut in-between IMG_20231008_130330188.jpgIt is coming along as planned 👍IMG_20231008_125644979.jpgIMG_20231008_153726626.jpg
The stern is stripped as usual.
Roy

Hmm 🤔 got to do me some thinking on this. IMG_20231020_191437120.jpgIMG_20231020_191502352.jpgIMG_20231020_191448279.jpg
I think it's shaping up pretty good. First thing I noticed was the bowIMG_20231020_191910261~2.jpg
In this area on both sides, the light poplar strip is a little sunken in and slopes, slightly, inward where it meets the cherry strip. Both sides are the same in the same spot. Curious what you all think about this. Should I just blend both sides in the same and just claim it's part of the design 😉?

2nd issue is I'm about a 1/4 inch further from center from station 6 to station 9.IMG_20231020_191624021.jpg
I think I can do an easy correction.
#3 I noticed my stern end doesn't look tapered properly. I'll investigate this more closely tomorrow. Maybe the end of the strips are just a little wanky on one side. Of course I might not have gotten my inner stem not tapered right? May be able to tweak this a little and hide it under my out stem.

I'm pretty happy with it so far. The funky strip pattern on the bow caused me a lot of extra work. I have no regrets, but I'm not experienced enough, by a long shot, to be doing stuff like that. It's all fun tho. Oh last thing, the natural wood filler works great on the screw holes in the popular wood. I think it hides them very well.
Roy

Looks awesome! Nice save on the bow strips getting out of control... especially with all the darker (walnut?) filler, it looks like you planned it that way (and, yes, everything that doesn't "work out" can be claimed as "part of the design")

Can't advise you on the stems though... I'm just getting ready to start my Raven and haven't decided whether to mess with stems or go stemless.

2nd issue is I'm about a 1/4 inch further from center from station 6 to station 9. I think I can do an easy correction.

I'm not sure what you mean here... once the station molds were set, I think they act as guidelines and how far from center each is is (in my mind) irrelevant. Do you mean the strips are 1/4 inch closer to the centerline at station 6 than they are at #9?

Looks awesome! Nice save on the bow strips getting out of control... especially with all the darker (walnut?) filler, it looks like you planned it that way (and, yes, everything that doesn't "work out" can be claimed as "part of the design")

Can't advise you on the stems though... I'm just getting ready to start my Raven and haven't decided whether to mess with stems or go stemless.

I'm not sure what you mean here... once the station molds were set, I think they act as guidelines and how far from center each is is (in my mind) irrelevant. Do you mean the strips are 1/4 inch closer to the centerline at station 6 than they are at #9?
I didn't explain it well, sorry. My strips are a quarter of an inch further from center then the other side. I botched it from the start near chime. This thing got a chime like my aunts over bite.

OK. That's what I assumed you meant.

Especially if you use similarly colored strips as you close the football, the 1/4 inch should be impossible to see (except, perhaps, by you) when you cut the centerline. We're always our worst critics and everyone else on the planet will just see "WOW, that's beautiful"

(Besides, they'll be looking at the bow pattern!)

If your strips don't match at the keel, there can be several causes.
None of them will make a difference as to how the canoe preforms. Yes, we would like them to match perfectly at the keel.

Two things. Strip uniformity, and accurate measuring of center, to the shearline are the ones I strive for, and generally mine come out good.

Neat stripping pattern.

Jim

Thanks for the input. I need to tilt it way up on the side so I can look at the chime area. I may need to rework some of that. I thought I was doing good but now I question it.

My last raven, after about ten years of abuse, got a paint job. Fire engine red, tremclad, a nice colour.
iehaAsE.jpg

I'm a little stuck and looking for advice. I want to incorporate this accent stripIMG_20231102_182001955.jpg down the center of the keel from stem to stem.IMG_20231030_202102078.jpg
Should I dry fit my outer stems first and then work in the accent strip?
Roy

Me ?
I would fit the curved piece, with the inside edge parallel, to the curved piece on the other side.
That would give two parallel edges, to fit your accent strip to.
Now on the inside of those, sand a slight outward bevel. Fit the inside, with a slight bevel.

It would be easier to show, if I was there ! Ha !

You will get it !

Back