• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

2023 Fund Drive Now On

Day 5 Cumulative Donations: 33
Target number of donations: 66
Members: 2,268
Views of this thread: 2,000+

Halfway to the target, which raises the philosophical question about half a glass.

I say it's half full. It's only Day 5 and it took a month to get 65 donors 2+ years ago, a timeline I'd rather not have to repeat. I know there are a lot of longtime, solid site contributors out there who, for some reason, haven't yet responded to this thread.

Which, by the way, is about the fastest growing thread I've ever seen. In case anyone thinks this thread is a fictional drama show just for your viewing pleasure . . . it isn't. It's a real financial need to keep the site alive and healthy, so we don't have to have fundraisers every year or change to mandatory paid memberships. Please take the time to make whatever donation you can. As soon as you can.

Thank you.

Day 6 Cumulative Donations: 37
Members: 2,269
Views of this thread: 2,000++

I received the first checks today . . . from stevet, Conk and GeoBoy.

Thank you. 29 to go.

Day 7 Cumulative Donations: 38
Members: 2,270
Views of this thread: 2,000+++

Here are all the donors after one week in chronological order of donation receipt. All are PayPal except where a check (chk) is noted.

Nov. 1
Boatstall
Kahel
Memaquay
Sweetfancymoses
Robin
Jmharrick
Benson Gray
Clemency
JohnSand
Pseudonym
Alan Gage
Art D
PaddlingPitt
Ralph
Patrick Corry
JCH_Ski
Cruiser

Nov.2
Tumpline
Snapper
Roybrew
Murat V
Jatfomike

Nov. 3
TrailBlaser
Mason
Woodpuppy
Tketcham
Sliding Focus
Aslowhand

Nov. 4
Rippy
Bob B.
Goonstroke

Nov. 5
Simuliumvenustum
Traveler

Nov. 6
Ober27
Stevet (chk)
Conk (chk)
GeoBoy (chk)

Nov. 7
MichaelMerry

I was going to say 'thanks for herding us sheep', but CT members seem too ornery to be called sheep. So, thanks for herding us stubborn goats, Glenn! I know it's a lot of work to keep CT running.

I finally got around to my (now 7 days overdue 😳😶‍🌫️ ) paypal donation just now.

Day 8 Cumulative Donations: 42
Members: 2,271
Views of this thread: 2,000++++

Nov. 8
MrPoling (chk)
Tsuga8
Lowangle al
BWCA66

24 to go!

I'll send a check this weekend

Check in the mail.

Donation is in the mail

Should I do that or would you prefer it go to canoe tripping?

Check's in the mail.

check will be in the mail tomorrow

Mailing a check today.

check went in the mail today

Check is in the mail.

The pledge drive follow-up team informs me that as of Thursday, November 9, your donations have not been received. The site hopes they will be. I'll post all receipts in each night's daily summary.

The pledge drive follow-up team informs me that as of Thursday, November 9, your donations have not been received. The site hopes they will be. I'll post all receipts in each night's daily summary.
My/Your Ulysses S. Grant is in the hands of the Postal Service. All we can do is wait, hope, and plan for a better tomorrow.

Day 9 Cumulative Donations: 46
Members: 2,271
Views of this thread: 3,000+

Nov. 9
Mark Z (chk)
Gerald
Roy (new member today!)
Halpc

20 to go!

I hadn’t used PayPal since the last Canoetripping.net fundraiser yet it somehow had my new credit card number for a replacement card that I just got about 2 months ago. Are they “in bed” somehow with all the credit companies? It looks like a number of other members here share my lack of confidence in using PayPal. Anyone know more about this? At least my donation went through without my having to type in my new cc info. Thanks Glen for your work. I appreciate your efforts to dig up new topics to post when the submissions slow down.

I hadn’t used PayPal since the last Canoetripping.net fundraiser yet it somehow had my new credit card number for a replacement card that I just got about 2 months ago.

I'd advise calling your credit card company to ask how and why that's possible.

I've found PayPal to be a convenient way to pay for things I buy on the internet and to pay recurring bills. You can set up a PayPal account faster than you can look for your checkbook, write one out and put it in an envelope.

For CTN, I have to pay bills electronically, so I need a separate PayPal account for CTN. It's prodigiously easier to receive donated funds via PayPal: Full payment is received instantaneously with no effort on my part, and all donations are automatically recorded and listed.

For snail mailed check donations, I have to wait for the check, open an envelope, manually record a listing of all checks, endorse the checks, drive to the bank, stand in line, deposit the checks, wait for the checks to clear into my checking account, then set up an electronic link from my checking account to my CTN PayPal account, and finally electronically transfer the donated funds from my bank account into the PayPal account. Then, I have to do all that over and over as new batches of checks roll in. Actually, Maggie does the recording of the checks and the driving back and forth to the bank.

Very time consuming and labor intensive, and often frustrating.

As are all aspects of site administration, which I do simply because I believe in keeping this site financially alive as a service to you all and for the preservation of canoe lore for future generations. It profoundly saddens me that so many non-contributing members and lurkers apparently expect that all this happens "for free".

As are all aspects of site administration, which I do simply because I believe in keeping this site financially alive as a service to you all and for the preservation of canoe lore for future generations. It profoundly saddens me that so many non-contributing members and lurkers apparently expect that all this happens "for free".

I can't understand that either ... it's just the "use it as a service" mentality in so many people's minds.
Take it, take it and take it again and again.
Why not? It's free!

regards
Michael

Back