• Happy Tear the Tags Off the Mattress Day! 🛏️✂️🏷️🚔🚨👮

2023 Fund Drive Now On

Actually, I'd like to know if there will a raffle because I would like to donate an item. Glenn?

No raffle, Art, unless you want to volunteer to run it. I'm much too busy with other things here. It's a lot of work and usually not worth the shipping costs especially cross border.

Or it knows I am a goods/services from your 2021 donation. Don't recall. Maybe PayPal works differently in different countries. I'd say don't worry about it if the friend and family option isn't available, Michael. I will get access to all the money eventually.
Good point Glenn. It already knows you are one of the two options. Could you eventually let me know if you received as friend or goods/services?

Glenn,
Money sent. No need to add Site Supporter.
I missed the part about adding a message. Not a problem for me if it's not a problem for you.

Could you eventually let me know if you received as friend or goods/services?

Done. My account knows you, so no option to enter "friends & family".

Unfortunately, for both of you the PayPal system apparently remembers you both as donating "for goods and services" from last time, so that's how you were both processed again.

I've talked to three levels of PayPal so far and there is no solution to this, other than I have to wait for 21 days to get access to the held goods and services money. Plus, I have to pay a fee for each "goods and services" transaction. It's all part of PayPal's protections for buyers, but a hassle for an organization such as this website.

Unfortunately, for both of you the PayPal system apparently remembers you both as donating "for goods and services" from last time, so that's how you were both processed again.

I've talked to three levels of PayPal so far and there is no solution to this, other than I have to wait for 21 days to get access to the held goods and services money. Plus, I have to pay a fee for each "goods and services" transaction. It's all part of PayPal's protections for buyers, but a hassle for an organization such as this website.
I wonder if paypal can provide an option to change the category.

I wonder if paypal can provide an option to change the category.
I signed back on to paypal, and removed Glenn as a contact. I then re-entered his email, and was asked if he were a friend. I said yes. I entered an amount of $10.00, and was surprised to see that I was charged a fee of $3.00 CAN. I paid no fee when Glenn was goods and services. I don’t know if the fee is a flat rate per transaction, or if there is a sliding rate. I am done experimenting for today.

I signed back on to paypal, and removed Glenn as a contact. I then re-entered his email, and was asked if he were a friend. I said yes.

This seems to be the solution if the site email is in your contacts and you are not presented with an option to send "for goods and services" or "for friends and family". PayPal sees the site email in your contacts, knows if it was used in the past for G&S or F&F, and assumes you always want to send to me with that option.

I entered an amount of $10.00, and was surprised to see that I was charged a fee of $3.00 CAN. I paid no fee when Glenn was goods and services.

As I now understand it, If you send as G&S, I pay the PayPal fee. If you send as F&F, you pay a fee if you are sending money from a linked credit card, but there is no fee if you are sending from a linked bank account or from a PayPal balance.

I believe PaddlingPitt had to pay some sort of PayPal international monetary conversion fee on his second donation of $10, even though it was a F&F donation from a linked bank account.

Glenn -

Just saw this tonight when I opened the site. Been to Paypal already so funds are on the way! Thanks for all you continue to do to keep us all together and the site up & running.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

PS - Don't need a "site supporter" tag attached to my name. Also, if I screwed up and sent money the wrong way, feel free to let me know and I'll take care of the difference. Sometimes I read too quickly and get ahead of myself.

I can't even see those options on my pay pal account. Did you get my donation, I'm curious now.

Rob, yes I got your donation. Thanks so much. I had to pay a fee of $4.65 (USD, I guess). I assume that's because of the reason Michael Pitt discovered above—that you probably have my site email in your contacts and PayPal remembered it as a G&S provider.

It would be nice to receive a small donation from those who don't post much but have used the site to sell clothes, equipment, and canoes, or even link a trip report from their own website, yet never post here.

This has always been a pet peeve of mine since the early days.

It would be nice to receive a small donation from those who don't post much but have used the site to sell clothes, equipment, and canoes, or even link a trip report from their own website, yet never post here.

This can be a challenge. I help manage a forum for the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association which includes a service to provide the build records for old canoes. Each one includes a request to "donate, join or renew your membership" but not everyone does.

Benson

PayPal and I have parted ways, mostly because I can't remember how to use it and it doesn't remember me, but no problem.
Donation is in the mail Glenn.

Sent a donation to this sketchy sounding person, Glenn MacGrady? 😉
You all on this site have been great. Thanks to all.
Roy

Back