• Happy National No Socks Day! 🧦🚫👣

2023 Fund Drive Now On

Now I feel bad for sending a check.
Jim

You shouldn't. You should feel good about being one of the relatively few who will keep the site alive. I understand many people don't want to use PayPal for their own reasons, so I expect a certain number of checks and of course welcome them.

I can't understand that either ... it's just the "use it as a service" mentality in so many people's minds.
Take it, take it and take it again and again.
Why not? It's free!

regards
Michael
I can’t understand that either, Michael. There are people on this site who frequently post, yet do not donate. I’m curious about why not.
Sometimes I feel like a chump for having donated, when I could just enjoy the site for free. But my conscience wouldn’t allow that. 😔

Canada has this wonderful thing called an etransfer, where I can send funds from my bank account directly to a person using their email. I'm not sure if you have it in the US, but it doesn't work between Canada and the US, which is very unfortunate. Most of my online purchases are done now using etransfers.

Canada has this wonderful thing called an etransfer, where I can send funds from my bank account directly to a person using their email. I'm not sure if you have it in the US, but it doesn't work between Canada and the US, which is very unfortunate. Most of my online purchases are done now using etransfers.
I use e-transfer quite a bit. As you point out, however, e-transfers are available only between Canadian bank accounts. CIBC does offer something called Global Money Transfer to 60 countries, which seems to work like e-transfer if you have the recipients bank information. I have never used it, but am curious to try.

I appreciate your efforts to dig up new topics to post when the submissions slow down.

I appreciate your appreciation of that. If this site ever starts to die, it will be because of a lack of thread starts. Without thread starts, there is no commentary, and without a continuous infusion of commentary, interest in the site will wane. Getting more thread starters is the most important thing for a lively site after the prerequisite job of keeping it financially alive.

For snail mailed check donations, I have to . . . .

I didn't detail these labors to deter the sending of checks. To the contrary, we need the donations in whatever form. I detailed it because I don't think people understand all the time it takes to administer this site, and also to suggest why I'd much rather do fundraisers every three years than annually. It's not my favorite thing to do.

Hi Glenn,
My paper check will be in the hands of the US Postal Service on Monday and on the way to you.

I'm old school. I do not use PayPal or any form of computer based e-payment. I don't even order on-line with my credit card, I call it in on my land-line. I rarely even carry a cell phone, and most of that time it is off. So please bear with me and the few who question the rush to the future and still use paper. It is a personal choice, and sometime a difficult one, to regress from a technologically-based 21st century world.

Thanks for all your effort and work in keeping this valuable resource alive.

Day 10 Cumulative Donations: 51
Target number of donations: 66
Members: 2,272
Views of this thread: 3,000++

Nov. 10
Gamma1214 (cash!)(“the old ways are the best ways”)
Boatman53 (chk)(but he can mail Dacron to my county faster)
RickR (chk)
Marten
Stillwater’s

There will be no USPS deliveries this weekend, but PayPal is open 24/7.

15 to go, team!

Does your view tally exclude repeat views? I check in each time I get a notice someone has replied, and so check in.

I assume views means all views. You can research it here, which is what I have to do all the time, but I don't want to clutter up this thread discussing this issue:

Does your view tally exclude repeat views?

No, and the large number software 'bots' which are constantly scanning everything on the internet further inflate totals like this. The Facebook 'post reach' statistics suffer from similar issues. Numbers like these need to be viewed with great suspicion and taken with a very large 'grain of salt'.

Benson

Last edited:
Day 11 Cumulative Donations: 53
Members: 2,272
Views of this thread: 3,000+++

Nov. 11
Chip
NikonF5user

Only 13 more to go. You 13 are out there. Please donate!

Day 12 Cumulative Donations: 53
Members: 2,274
Views of this thread: 3,000++++

Nov. 12
None 😟

Only 13 more donations needed. Let's finish. Please donate!

Glenn- I sent a check several days ago. If you haven’t gotten it by now, I’d say something happened to it. I’ll give it another day or two and send another if need be.

Bob

Back