• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

2023 Fund Drive Now On

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
WHAT

Since its founding in 2011, this site has always been financially supported by member donations and has never had an ad.

This is the first fund drive in 26 months. Historically, they had been held annually. We were able to go this long because our September 2021 fund drive secured a generous average donation of $40 USD ($55 CAD). If we can match that level of contribution again, I’m confident the site can be run for three years.

So, please donate whatever you can, but keep in mind that you can make this the only fund drive between 2021 and 2026 if you are able to contribute the price of two large pizzas and two drinks.

I’ve worked on this site at least an hour every day for 822 consecutive days to revive and make it an interesting place for all of us, our written legacies, and future generations of canoeists. Please help to keep it not only afloat, but on a rising tide. The fund drive target is to secure a minimum of 66 donations.

HOW

You can contribute two ways, PayPal being greatly preferred:

→ 1. Log in to your PayPal account and send your donation to this email address: ctrippingnet@gmail.com

On the screen where you enter the amount, please put your real name and your screen name in the PayPal "Add a Message" field, so I know who sent what.

On the next screen, choose to send the funds via the "For friends and family" option NOT the "For goods and services" option.

→ 2. Make checks payable to Glenn MacGrady and mail them to:

Glenn MacGrady
36 Old Park Lane Rd.
New Milford, CT 06776
USA

If mailing a check, please include a note with your real name and your screen name.

Everyone who donates will get a “Site $upporter” title under their avatar.

Thanks so much for your needed support!

Sent via PayPal.
Thank You Glenn for all your hard work behind the scenes that none of us ever see!
Just wish it could be more.

Bill

Thank you.

Again, please put your real name and screen name in the PayPal field that says "Add a Message".

I am also happy to donate my share for the continuation of this wonderful website with its members. (sent via PayPal)
Please do not add a "site supporter" tag to my account.

Thank you @Glenn for your efforts and work.

Michael

Last edited:
I'll send a check this weekend but please do not add a "site supporter" tag to my account. There may be some who cannot donate financially yet contribute in other ways.

Just my opinion but we all support the site by visiting, reading & posting. The less that differentiates us from one another, the better (just my 2 cents)

Sent via PayPal, no need to add site supporter. I appreciate all the hard work and good ideas you have brought to the site.

Are we going to have a raffle…oh wait, never mind.

Thank you for the work you do, Glenn

Paypal sent. Same for me, no need to add site supporter to my bio, thanks.

Responding to some things:

Please send PayPal donations via the "For friends and family" option NOT the "For goods and services" option. The latter gives me all sorts of problems with PayPal.

Of course people contribute to the site by posting threads and message content—and no one starts more threads than me—but without financial contributions the site will die and all that will be for naught. So, we need BOTH content contributions and financial contributions to remain viable, and I'd like to recognize those who contribute financially. However, since some folks are requesting no "Site Supporter" title, I'll re-think that issue after the fund drive is over. I can't keep track of all the individual requests.

Is it useful/beneficial to know what percentage of (active) members donate?

It's critical to me because the great majority of members never contribute content or money. Our number of members is publicly updated daily on the front page. In addition, we have untold hundreds of non-member lurkers who read content every day.

In the September 2021 post-migration fundraiser we had 65 donations at a time when we had about 1,250 members. Given that we have added over 1,000 members since then, my modest target is to get 66 donations in this fund drive.

Please send PayPal donations via the "For friends and family" option NOT the "For goods and services" option. The latter gives me all sorts of problems with PayPal.
I may have sent a second, smaller donation, as an apology for completely ignoring these instructions in your original post… 😅

I may have sent a second, smaller donation, as an apology for completely ignoring these instructions in your original post…

PayPal puts a hold on money received as "For goods and services" until I can prove to them I have shipped the non-existent goods or provide them with an invoice for the non-existent services. It will take me hours to explain and resolve the issue within the PayPal bureaucracy, in India or wherever, as it did in 2021.

PayPal puts a hold on money received as "For goods and services" until I can prove to them I have shipped the non-existent goods or provide them with an invoice for the non-existent services. It will take me hours to explain and resolve the issue within the PayPal bureaucracy, in India or wherever, as it did in 2021.
I did some quick research and it does not seem possible to change the payment designation after payment has been sent. You could refund the money back to me, and I can resend the original donation with the proper designation, but I think a small portion of fees would be forfeit.

I did some quick research and it does not seem possible to change the payment designation after payment has been sent. You could refund the money back to me, and I can resend the original donation with the proper designation, but I think a small portion of fees would be forfeit.

Jacob, several other members did the same thing. I'm not going to refund and ask for re-donations. Don't worry about it. I'll resolve it all and get access to all the money, no matter how it was sent, before I have any other big bills due.

Sent via Paypal. Thanks for managing the site, Glenn. Don't know how I would make it through the hard water season without it.

Sent via PayPal, no need to add site supporter. I appreciate all the hard work and good ideas you have brought to the site.

Are we going to have a raffle…oh wait, never mind.
Actually, I'd like to know if there will a raffle because I would like to donate an item. Glenn?

Glenn,

paypal is not giving me an option to send to a friend when I select you. It just asks for the amount. Perhaps because it already knows you are a friend from my last donation?
I just answered my own question. I entered Kathleen for the first time and they asked me if she was a friend or a business. So good to go. Donation is coming from paypal.

Glenn,

paypal is not giving me an option to send to a friend when I select you. It just asks for the amount. Perhaps because it already knows you are a friend from my last donation?

Or it knows I am a goods/services from your 2021 donation. Don't recall. Maybe PayPal works differently in different countries. I'd say don't worry about it if the friend and family option isn't available, Michael. I will get access to all the money eventually.

Back