• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

What goes in/on your PFD?

Knife, whistle, a few snack bars in pfd. I wear a fanny pack bailout bag with keys, phone, wallet etc. in waterproof case, basic compass...and whatever depending on the trip.

also from scoutergriz, but I can’t figure out how to do a second quote.

Just FYI, on that same WW class, I did dump on shallow but fast-moving water. The boat was upside down. I was unable to stand, but from a sitting position in the water, I tried to right the boat. I would get it almost over and the couldn’t get the last bit.

I assumed it was lack of arm strength.

The instructor, who watched the entire process, said it was my ditch bag hanging up on the gunwale that was preventing me from righting the canoe.

Just something to think about.

I’m thinking I’ll push the ditch bag under the pfd in WW.

Last edited:
also from scoutergriz

I can’t figure out how to do a second quote

You highlight the first poster's words you want to quote, which will bring up the +Quote/Reply menu. Press +Quote (which stands for multi-quote). Then do the same thing for the next words you want to quote from that same poster (as I've just done from your post) or from another poster. And then a third, and so on.

When you've gathered all the multi-quotes you want, press the Insert Quote button in the reply box. This will bring up a box to show you all quotes you are about to insert. If that's correct, press the Quote Messages button and the quotes will appear in the reply box. You can then add your own reply text above, below or in between the inserted quotes.

It's easy. You can practice doing it without actually posting the reply. Just erase it all after practicing.

Just FYI, on that same WW class, I did dump on shallow but fast-moving water. The boat was upside down. I was unable to stand, but from a sitting position in the water, I tried to right the boat. I would get it almost over and the couldn’t get the last bit.

The instructor, who watched the entire process, said it was my ditch bag hanging up on the gunwale that was preventing me from righting the canoe.

I should have noted that I mostly paddle alone and avoid whitewater other than the occasional rip roaring class 1. I have a swift water rescue cert. and you're right on about watching for gear hang ups. I'll keep the fanny pack.

that's why it's a fanny pack, not an all out ditch bag- no straps to catch, just a couple of velcro beltloops. I have also been WRT certified, and in fact taught paddling and wilderness skills

For lack of pockets, I added a US Army first aid kit pouch to the lash tab of my vest. It holds my compass. In the pocket is a whistle and a point and shoot camera.

that's why it's a fanny pack, not an all out ditch bag- no straps to catch, just a couple of velcro beltloops. I have also been WRT certified, and in fact taught paddling and wilderness skills

I did not mean to insinuate that you all were unsafe. It was just information that was pointed out to me by an instructor from Nantahala who had all the certifications. I was just passing on information. I have no way of knowing your skill level or how a fanny pack was attached. You don't know how my ditch bag is attached or what it is. We are just sharing information. :)

I did not mean to insinuate that you all were unsafe. It was just information that was pointed out to me by an instructor from Nantahala who had all the certifications. I was just passing on information. I have no way of knowing your skill level or how a fanny pack was attached. You don't know how my ditch bag is attached or what it is. We are just sharing information. :)
No problem. The original question was wide open - people carry different stuff depending on where they are paddling. I wouldn't use the fanny pack if I was paddling any real whitewater.

What pfd do you use that has good back protection?

I currently have a Patagonia PFD (probably just a generic branded Patagonia), I got a great deal on it about 15 years ago. It's not going to last forever so I've been thinking about a replacement. I was looking at an NRS Odyssey, full back, nice pockets, centre zip. I like the full back for warmth more than protection but these days a travel with only one kidney so that is more of a factor than it was before.

I didn't pull the trigger last year, just looked on the NRS site, it's either out of stock or discontinued, I fear the latter because they have a bunch of new models.

I didn’t know Patagonia made PFDs. Now, a little googling shows they bought Lotus in the early 2000s and then dumped all their paddle sports gear in the late teens. See..

Another link found was a voluntary recall due to less buoyancy than required. Here is the link, recped, in case you want to check:

Recall

I just looked at the NRS site and the Odyssey is there:

It says “in stock and ready to ship.”

It is important to understand buoyancy ratings and compare that against all-up paddler weight. I have seen more than a few paddlers over the last couple of years carrying a good bit of gear on-body. Survival kits, handguns, carabiners, z-drags, phones, GPS, etc. If it sinks when you drop it in the water, you must take the weight of such items into account when calculating buoyancy needs. It doesn't take long at all to hit 10 pounds on-body when considering clothing, footwear, and carry items.

The following is an excerpt from goairkayaks.com :

Approximately 80% of the human body is water, thus will not weigh you down (has no weight) in water. Additionally, bodies on average have 15% fat, which is lighter than water. There are other factors that play a part, such as lung size, clothing and whether the water is calm or rough, but those two are the major factors. In general, the more physically fit you are (the less fat on your body), the more buoyancy you will need.

Let’s do the math on a 125 lb and 200 lb person.

125 lbs X 80% water = 100 lbs of water.
125 lbs X 15% fat = 18.75 lbs of fat.
125 lbs minus 100 lbs of water minus 18.75 lbs of fat leaves 6.25 lbs.

Meaning, a typical 125 lb person weighs roughly 6 lbs in the water. Thus a TYPE III vest rated at minimum 15.5 lbs will be more than adequate. A lean person might have only 10% (12.5 lbs of fat), thus weighing 12.5 lbs in the water. Once again, the TYPE III vest will be fine.

200 lbs X 80% water = 160 lbs of water.
200 lbs X 15% fat = 30 lbs of fat.
200 lbs minus 160 lbs of water minus 30 lbs of fat leaves 10 lbs.

Meaning, a typical 200 lb person weighs 10 lbs in the water. Thus a TYPE III vest rated at minimum 15.5 lbs will be more than adequate. A lean person might have only 10% (20 lbs of fat), thus weighing an additional 10 lbs in the water and needing a higher buoyancy of 20 lbs.

As you can see, if you are a lean and strong male, it won't take much gear on your person to exceed the capacity of standard flotation aids.

I'm not trying to scold, I just want to mention it in case someone would otherwise find themselves in a situation where their life jacket is insufficient to keep them afloat. I've been there, and it's a disconcerting feeling.

I took a swimming class in college, another student in the class was a great ice hockey player. His body was so dense that when he quit stroking & kicking in the pool, he would sink to the bottom.
On the other hand, I’m so full of hot air that I float high on the surface.

Good points Tryin, I usually put my sidearm in a pack when on the water. I typically don't keep anything in the pockets, probably because they only have a velcro closure and are not secure. One thing I do keep in my pfd in Ak are rabbit feet that I find on the trail. I don't know why but I always pick them up when I find them. One time I met up with a group at a portage takeout and asked them if they had any bear protection. When they said "no" I gave them a rabbit foot and said "now you do"

I took a swimming class in college, another student in the class was a great ice hockey player. His body was so dense that when he quit stroking & kicking in the pool, he would sink to the bottom.
On the other hand, I’m so full of hot air that I float high on the surface.
I used to be the same in my 20's when I was WW paddling, rock climbing, and doing a ton of other high-energy sports. I used to freak people out when I'd casually sit on the bottom of the pool. Fast forward40 years and I'm now my own PFD...

Based on Tryin's calculations:

My weight of 150# and lean fat of probably 10% suggests that I will need 15# of flotation. My Mustang Khimera vest has 7.5# of foam flotation, and another 13# of bladder flotation at full inflation; thus, 20.5# of potential flotation. Enough for me + 25% extra. The 7.5# foam flotation alone will not keep me fully afloat, but as long as I am not hypothermic should allow me to swim to shore if necessary. I'm no longer paddling white water so my logic applies only to somewhat flat, calm water. In windy conditions & cool weather I would inflate the bladder right away!

I took a WW class at Nantahala this past fall. The instructor spent quite a bit of time on pfds. He didn’t like mine because the back did not come down far enough to protect my back from rock collisions should I have to swim.
I got the same reaction from a swift water rescue instructor in DC. I had an Astral V-8 which is a mesh back. Great for tripping in warm weather. But as I am paddling more whitewater, I've switched to something with back protection, a Stohlquist Descent.

To answer your question, I keep a whistle on a fisherman's zinger which is attached to a breakaway tab on the vest and a NRS Co-Pilot rescue knife on the lash tab. A couple of biners in the pocket.

Don't any of you degenerates smoke cigarettes or, better yet, chain smoke? Those death sticks have be be kept readily at hand. We had our ways in the 60's and 70's before I gave up the habit, but what do folks use today to keep their addiction dry?

I see some technological improvements:

I don't have and wont go into any freindship relationships, much less canoe or camp with anyone who thinks or ever has thought that smoking in any form or species is a good idea. Never have, never will.

I was messing around on the web again today and found the article that inspired me to start this topic, if anyone is interested.

What to Carry in PFD

I don't have and wont go into any freindship relationships, much less canoe or camp with anyone who thinks or ever has thought that smoking in any form or species is a good idea. Never have, never will.

I did that once, by accident. Went with an old friend in the BWCA for a week 30+ years ago. He was in the bow and the smoke really impacted my enjoyment of the fresh air. Will never do it again. I paddle solo now.

Garmin In Reach Mini , bug head net, small Ontario Rat II folder, ziplock with almonds, or peanuts, several gallon zip locks, one large contractor trash bag, fire starting kit, whistle.Sawyer water filter ( in ziplock), packets of electrolytes, cell phone.

Back