• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Wabakimi 15 day solo trip video

We always found the more remote we got the better the pickerel fishing got as well. The fishing was as important as the location and trip. We however were forced to eat pike on occasion as we found a set of lakes in WCPP that did not have any pickerel.

I did have the pleasure of going through Wabakimi on the train in 2019, at least Allenwater Bridge, but without a canoe I am not sure that counts. Being on the train let me see vast amounts of beautiful water not accessible by vehicle.

These videos are awesome, love them, great work!

Thanks for all the great comments from my Canadian friends. In part 3 I finally leave the small lake along the Grayson River late in the day after a night and morning of rain. The cold front that came through made travel around the big peninsula of Grayson Lake a bit of a challenge with big squalls coming through at frequent intervals. I camp on Arril Lake one night, then move on to Kenoji Lake after a big day of portages. Enjoy

So enjoyable ! Soothing. Hoping there are more !

That Stripper looked great, keel up at camp !

Thanks for making and sharing Mark !

Part 2 of my Wabakimi Trip.

Did you find any fire rings composed of two side stones a back stone and a cap? I worked my butt off on many of those including at Best Island as part of a Wabakimi Project Crew for nine years. Thanks for documenting the decay at Best Island Ontario Parks never funded the preservation of any structures. There is merit in letting things go back to forest though. I have to go back to review my photos of Best Island from 15 years ago now.!

I really don't recall anything about the fire rings, this trip was over 4 years ago. I do try to camp in well used sites if possible, but I did camp at a couple sites that obviously hadn't seen a fire for many years. I generally don't need to mess with fire rings at all since I really only have a fire when I'm cooking with a frying pan. I don't carry a grate that needs the support, just set the pan directly on the wood. Sure, the underground "Snail" structure should just be let go. It would be nice if the other cabin could at least have a metal roof put on it, but the foundation is crumbling, so maybe not worth it either.

If you find those photos post a few here so we can all see the change.

Mark

In part 4, I make my way south on Kenoji Lake and find a good campsite near the Ogoki River inflow. The next day I make my way up the series of portages on the Ogoki River to Wabakimi Lake, then find a good camp on Lower Wabakimi Lake. Realizing I still have plenty of time on this trip, I take it easy and travel downstream a short distance from Lower Wabakimi Lake and find another wonderful campsite along the river with great fishing from shore.

Enjoy, Mark

Mark ? You put up a Great Video ! Thanks !

For 15 days, what did you pack for food ?

Jim

Mark ? You put up a Great Video ! Thanks !

For 15 days, what did you pack for food ?

Jim

Lots of pasta and rice with various spices and stuff to put in each for flavor. I don't do fancy meals. It's one pot and down the hatch for me. I eat fish about half the time if I can, but my fishing skills don't provide reliable meals. For breakfast mostly regular oatmeal with dried fruit, hasbrowns, pancakes (I like pancakes). Since I am carrying a frying pan for fish I like to use it as much as possible for other meals. I don't generally do commercial freeze dried foods, although I might have a couple in the bottom of my food bags in case I'm really wanting to eat quickly with minimal messing around. They are usually still in my food bag when I finish a trip. Many of the freeze dried foods do a number on my stomach. For snack/lunch it's cheese, crackers, pretzels, various bars, nuts, peanut butter on tortillas, cookies. My least favorite part of any backpacking or canoe trips is getting the food together, so I keep it very simple.

Mark

Hard to imagine a better trip! Outstanding videos ! Thanks again Mark !

What a great trip and I thought you did an outstanding job putting the videos together! Wish I knew how to do that!

Back