• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

thecanoeist.com

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with The Canoeist store out of Two Harbors, MN?

I placed an online order three weeks ago, my card was charged and I haven't heard anything since the automatic order confirmation. No email response and no one answers the phone. The website says their physical location is moving but that web orders will continue to be filled.

They're the only online retailer for Badger Paddle Socks, so I ordered one from them and a Granite Gear thwart bag. I'm beginning to lose faith.

Last edited:
Ugh. I haven't spent much time on bwca.com, but you're right. It doesn't look good. I also just found The Canoeist's facebook page and it appears someone else is in the same boat I am. How disappointing.

Thanks J.P. for passing the word. A person likes to give the small dealers a try, but when something like this happens it tends to direct you towards the big suppliers. Maybe, what with winter coming on, this is when they planned their move and it's just taking longer to get up and running. But it's not right to charge you but not ship. I'd listen to Yellow Canoe's advice and act on it.

Good luck!
Rob

Hi JP,
I hope it works out, but I see your in CT. and I have a brand new Badger paddle sock you can have if your ever up around Norfolk, CT.
I won it in a contest on the old Solo Tripping web site. They sent a paddle and the sock, the paddle was an obvious second, if it represented their regular products they would have been out of business real quick. I began working it into a serviceable paddle and it just needs a little more sanding after some test paddles. Not looking to look a gift horse in the mouth, but it was that bad.
The sock is excellent, has their logo and is almost 6'. Brand new, yours if you want it, I don't need it.

Robin,
Just to interject here: I bought a Badger ash ottertail directly from the maker and it is a great paddle. Very thin, great on underwater recoveries, a little whippy, but very nice. They have different grades of paddles if I recall so maybe yours was a lower less expensive grade.

More likely the horse who gifted it got a deal on it and represented it as grade A brand new when it wasn't.

Not to make a big deal out of it. It was a prize in a fun contest among a few folks. No horses or their less glamorous relatives involved.

Robin,
Just to interject here: I bought a Badger ash ottertail directly from the maker and it is a great paddle. Very thin, great on underwater recoveries, a little whippy, but very nice. They have different grades of paddles if I recall so maybe yours was a lower less expensive grade.

The wood is a really nice piece of ash, and it has the making of a fine paddle, but the angle where the blade begins at the throat to the widest part of the blade was different on either side, and the grip was fatter on one side with a visible difference in the angle across the top. I had never seen a beavertail with these features. It was also to thick across the throat/blade with absolutely no flex.
I agree it was probably a lower grade paddle, but it should have never left the shop with their logo burned into it with those flaws.

I would buy one of their paddles today if I was in the market for one, they have a fine selection and they seemed very friendly in our correspondence.
But, I have two ash Beavertails made in Maine which I paid $40 each for 20 years ago and the workmanship is outstanding and I continue to trip with them today.

Back