• Happy National Poultry Day! 🐔🦃🦆🍗

My Review of the Zoleo 2-way Satellite Messenger

Through May 31, Zoleo is on sale for $149 (normally $199) and that price includes a free 1 yr. Gaia GPS Premium membership (normally $39.99). That's a great deal on fantastic 2 way satellite messenger with SOS plus a great GPS for your smart phone and desktop.

There have been a couple of changes to how Zoleo provides weather reports.

First, until late 2022, Zoleo provided local forecast from Dark Sky. After Apple purchased and discontinued Dark Sky, Zoleo switched its weather service to AerisWeather. AerisWeather is normally a fairly expensive subscription service on the web. But it has been integrated into Zoleo without changing (yet) subscription prices as far as I can tell.

Second, previously weather forecasts were only available for your present location. Now, however, you can pull down weather forecast for other locations. This can be accomplished by typing in the coordinates of the location or, if you have downloaded a map, by scrolling an clicking on the map.

I haven't had occasion to use the weather function on my Zoleo since these changes were implemented so I don't know how much different or more or less accurate it is from the Dark Sky reports. Nor do I know i how useful a function it is to get weather reports for other areas.

GIven that Dark Sky also powered the InReach weather reports, I'm wondering if any InReach owners can comment on how InReach has dealt with Dark Sky's demise.

alsg, I'm glad you posted today on this thread because it reminds me to report on my experience with the Zoleo. On a trip in October this past Fall, I used my Zoleo device for the second time.

I tossed the device into the waterproof bag I typically tie to either my seat frame or the center thwart... but without checking the charge on the device. Once I arrived in the late evening to my campsite for the first night I attempted to send a message to my wife to let her know my status, but of course, couldn't because there was no charge. Now, I purchased this thing ONLY because my wife is scared to death that I'm gonna be eaten by a bear or have a heart attack (actually, that's a valid concern since I've already had a couple...). Unfortunately I'm still kind of a Luddite when it comes to the device, though I had prepared myself with a fully charged Jackery Bolt battery with which I can charge both the Zoleo and my iPhone (which links to the Zoleo for texting messages). With the battery I was able to charge the Zoleo, but not able to send a message until the following morning since my battery charges relatively slowly. The trouble with this thing is that when there is a delay on my end, the recipient surely must think the worst has happened; I know my wife did/does! It was all sorted out the next morning and worked flawlessly the rest of the time I was out.

I haven't accessed the weather feature so I can't comment on that. This is for two reasons; one, I only have the basic plan which includes 25 messages, and since each text message and response from my wife counts as a 'message', I like to reserve as many messages for that purpose rather than accessing weather. The second reason is that I am prepared for, within reason, any weather so I really don't care what weather greets me each day.

Finally, I don't have the tracking add-on simply because I'm a tightwad and don't want to spend the additional $6USD per month for that feature. One other note; I do appreciate the fact that I can suspend the service plan when its the off season and only pay $4/mo. to keep my subscription. Overall I'm very pleased with the function of the device because it allows my wife to relax a little about my well-being and therefore she's less resistant to my going off into the woods alone!

I'm wondering if any InReach owners can comment on how InReach has dealt with Dark Sky's demise.
I can't comment on weather functionality because I suspend service in the winter. Their website says that they still use dark sky although I did find another source that said they use info from the national weather service (not sure how that would work in Belarus or Peru).

Like Patrick, I rarely check forecasts but I'll try to remember to look when I reactivate the unit in March or April (or February the way this "winter" is shaping up).

Thanks for the reports.
I used Spot to let my family and friends follow us cruising in my sailboat. It always served well, though if you run aground out of the channel, a savvy fellow sailor may text you. If I cruise a canoe out of cell range, I'll bring satellite device.
I spent six years USCG, and twenty two years in two police departments. I answered my share of silly calls. My own practice is to get myself out of it if I got into it, when possible. That has meant swimming a swamped canoe ashore in cold water, or various instances of bailing out small sailboats. I have rescued others from my boat, including one girl blown out into the Sound on a kayak. The only time I had to call for help was when I dislocated my shoulder while anchored out.

When I decided some sort of PLB would be a good addition to my gear .... and after doing a few searches online, I had to step back and decide exactly what I wanted the device to do.
It was like going to an RV trailer show with the idea of a simple place to sleep and exiting with whole different set of ideas once you see all the bright shiny baubles.
In the end, I figured all I wanted was the "emergency exit plan" .... I don't usually solo, like the idea of disconnecting and just getting absorbed in the surroundings.
What I ended up with was an ACR ResQLink ( https://www.acrartex.com/products/resqlink-plb-375/ ) ... these units don't get as much mention in discussions, not sure why. They cost a little more, but you just buy them, register them and you are done. No plan, no further costs .... just toss it in your pack as insurance, in case something goes sideways ... if it does, just push the button to call help.
When I am sitting at the fire or under a tarp in the rain, pulling out some electronic device to check my messages or take a call, just sort of defeats the reason I am out in woods in the first place.
I do see the logic in maintaining 2 way communication in some circumstances and don't mean to suggest in any way it isn't also a perfectly valid option ... but I don't see PLBs as a "one shoe" fits all situation. You also need to be familiar with the local area rescue "rules", most of my adventures are here in Ontario ( we are blessed with an abundance of beautiful places to visit), so cost of rescue isn't an issue (although in some cases I think exceptions should be made).
Know what you really want from your PLB and then do your homework, there are options.

Brian

decide exactly what I wanted the device to do.
That is key. If you just want rescue, PLBs like your ACR unit are a great choice. If you want someone to know where you are or how you are doing, satellite communicators like older Spots and Garmins. I have a Spot 2 - just sends one of thre pre written messages, and can send tracking data, plus the SOS for rescue. Keeps my wife happy. I may have to step up to a two way device but haven't.

Back