• Happy National Nurses Day! 🛌👩‍⚕💉💊🎉

Site reached usage allotment,

Reaction score
Just the other day I received this notice from SiteGround, the folks who I pay to host this website. Not to worry though, it was the end of the month and my IT guy has plenty of time to fix the problem. Thanks to the generous folks who supported the CanoeTripping.net fund raiser, the funds are there to increase the monthly quota if needed.

The reason I share this with you is that I feel it vindicates my reason for not allowing the OP of the Freestyle post to add his videos and images here. I knew the site was growing and I had to be cautious as to what direction it would take and remain relatively error free. The fund raiser was supported by Trippers, never had I received one request to introduce Freestyle yet I received many notes supporting the sites content and "Tripping" direction.

The reason I gave for my refusal to embrace the freestyle agenda was that I was concerned about the usage quota and this notice below proves that the site was approaching that level. Sure, I could have bought more quota at that time, but the support for the site until then was 99% trippers and 2 known freestyle folks. I have since sent their donations back.
The only reason I share this with you is that behind the scenes I took alot of flack. Window stickers where sent back, I was warned how I would be remembered in the "paddling community", snarky remarks on social media about the site, and people walked away. Even a friend suggested I might be harsh. Not to mention the remarks that where made here on the site.

Thanks

To: rdlauer_00@yahoo.com
Sent: Monday, March 30, 2015 3:05 AM
Subject: Account canoetripping.net Reached Monthly Allowed Executions

logo.png
Dear Robin Lauer,

We would like to inform you that your account canoetripping.net has consumed 90% of the monthly quota of 600000 program and script executions. Please note that once you hit 100% of the allowed monthly executions, your web service will be limited for the calendar month. The web service limit means you might be having problems accessing your website.

How to lower resource usage

For your convenience, we have opened a report on the monthly number of executions in your User area, from where you can navigate to optimize your resource usage:

https://ua.siteground.com/usagereports.htm

Consider upgrade

If your website will require more server resources on a regular basis, please consider upgrading to one of our higher plans. In addition to our standard service plans, you can also join the beta test for our new cloud platform and get 2 months of FREE hosting. Learn more about the terms of the test here: Learn More

Thank you in advance for your understanding and cooperation!

Best regards,
The SiteGround Team
abusecase.gif

Too bad. The freestyle folks have been tripping all winter. Even those you deemed not paddlers I can appreciate not getting involved in the thread as it was a long productive one on another site. There is no dichotomy between tripping and freestyle but there certainly is a bias toward tradition here of course you can see fit to include what you wish

As I will no longer be tripping in your sense feel free to delete my account and posts. That ought to free up some space and I hope it is an easy process

The reason I share this with you is that I feel it vindicates my reason for not allowing the OP of the Freestyle post to add his videos and images here. I knew the site was growing and I had to be cautious as to what direction it would take and remain relatively error free. The fund raiser was supported by Trippers, never had I received one request to introduce Freestyle yet I received many notes supporting the sites content and "Tripping" direction.

The reason I gave for my refusal to embrace the freestyle agenda was that I was concerned about the usage quota and this notice below proves that the site was approaching that level.

Robin, I hope I speak for many others when I thank you for sharing this background information. It's good to know your FS concerns were not based on mere prejudice.

X2. Thanks for sharing this Robin. Having run a few sites over the years, band-width was a real issue even way back then. I had to decide what would benefit the strong majority of my clients for a cost that I could afford. Lost a few good people but I really didn't have much of choice. I just had to cross my fingers and hope that they would understand the cost-benefit analysis and stick around adding their insight to the conversations where they could. It sounds like you're in a bit of the same quandary.
Anyway, keep up the good work and crazy amounts of thanks for keeping this site alive and bringing up to where it is today. Two thumbs old buddy.
Cheers Ted

That's pretty cool that you have that type of volume on this site. Only going to get better with the start of the new season and fresh reports/pictures. Congrats!

Seeing as the freestyler is no longer part of this site and won't read my comment I am not sure if this is falling on deaf ears. But the focus of this site that you, Robin, runs through your own time and and money and the money of generous donations is directly related to your interests and not a free for all for all aspects of canoeing, I also a appreciate your discriminating tastes. If somebody else wanted to start and run a website (sans April Fools jokes of course) with their own time and money they should feel free to do so without any competing websites.

If I haven't said this enough, Thank-you Robin.

You get a thumbs up from me Robin. I think the tone and interests of the people using this site are pretty obvious. We stray a lot but there has to be a limit to how far that goes.
As for that whole brouhaha ( there's a word for ya) over FS....I paddle just fine. I have no idea what the strokes may be called, but I know how to do enough to make my favourite hobby enjoyable and dont need someone trying to tell me what to do. I will be uncharacteristically pleasant and just say, "no thanks, I'm good."

As Red suggested, perhaps they should start their own site for FS, where they dont have to put up with the grumpy old traditionalists.

Good job Robin

Had no idea the freestyle issue was going on... I love watching some of the routines... but that's what YouTube is for... Here, I expect to discuss techniques, procedures, and gear related to taking canoe trips, and that seems to be mostly what we do... oh, and share trip reports too... I probably like those best.

I also want to add my thanks Robin I like the direction of the site and add sometimes more is less

Some of us have been here since Willis ran things and there was hardly any activity at all. Robin stepped up and save it after Willis's departure. We have watched it get fine tuned and grow under Robin's guidance. We really have no idea how much agony Robin goes through and how much hard work he puts into it but we can guess. He doesn't have to justify his decisions or actions but he does because he is a gentleman and cares that we know what he is doing. We are behind you 100% Robin. Thanks.
Regards,
Dave

Some of us have been here since Willis ran things and there was hardly any activity at all. Robin stepped up and save it after Willis's departure. We have watched it get fine tuned and grow under Robin's guidance. We really have no idea how much agony Robin goes through and how much hard work he puts into it but we can guess. He doesn't have to justify his decisions or actions but he does because he is a gentleman and cares that we know what he is doing. We are behind you 100% Robin. Thanks.
Regards,
Dave
Well put Dave, I could not agree more!!

Back