• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

CanoeTripping.net Shirts, Hats or Other Merchandise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm splitting this topic off from the WCHA and Adirondack Canoe Symposium thread to explore interest in and implementation of the subject of creating some CanoeTripping.net merchandise.

I’ll wear my CT.net tee shirt.

Did we make and offer them once? I vaguely recall Robin or some prior administrator arranging for shirts or bumper stickers or something. Was the effort successful?

There is a company called bonfire that makes custom merchandise easier because they'll host your design and then members buy the apparel direct from bonfire, one-off. Upload the designs and then you're done because members can buy direct: no shipping and $ exchange hassles at all. Someone in my sailing club set it up and it worked great for us

Pseudonym, does your sailing club (i.e., us) get a cut of the merchandise sales or does all the revenue got to Bonfire, if you know or can find out?

Any thoughts, advice, experience or discussion about this idea—positive, negative or uninterested—would be of value. I'm not really that much interested in the site getting a cut of the revenue, as I believe we can survive just fine with fund raisers every two years or so. I'd rather have the price be as low as possible so that purchases wouldn't detract or subtract from our fund raisers.

As another thought, maybe we could think of a product that would be more useful or desirable than the common t-shirts and hats.

Yes, tee shirts. Not sure about hats. Basically the ink sketch banner at the top of the page. I can take a pic of mine tomorrow.
Jim

I would be in for something made on this side of the pacific. One of the problems I have with "merch" is that everyone seems to use the same crappy chinesium textiles and wares.

I do like the shirt idea.

I am open to paying more for a good quality shirt. The good ones will promote CT for 10 years. The inexpensive ones, substantially less.

A good quality t-shirt would be great. I can only wear 100% cotton, though.

Back in the day I had some 3x5" oval window stickers made up and sent them out to all who donated during the first fundraisers. They were well received*, and didn't cost me much to have made or ship.
Doug had some tee's made, and they were nice, but I got the feeling a pita to deal with, what size, shipping to Canada $, then leftovers.
I won't wear a tee with big pictures or big writing on it anymore, especially on the back. I bought a nice quality tee shirt in Temagami 25 years ago, Dad's was the name of the shop I believe. I still wear it. It has the word Temagami embroidered in an arc over a person carrying a canoe on his/her shoulders, the print and image take up only an inch and a half squared.

*Glenn called them "ambiguous". (I had to google ambiguous, and he was right, that is if you stared at them for a while)

Patches can be sewn onto packs, PFDs, jackets, hats etc. Stickers are good for hulls, food barrels, coolers, vehicles etc.

Shirts are difficult because of the plethora of choices - style, size, color, material. As an example Erica noted she would prefer 100% cotton, I’d rather have a 60/40 cotton/poly blend T or a 100% synthetic long sleeve sun shirt. I intensely dislike thick heavy cotton Ts.

Hats are also probably difficult. Does this crowd wear ball caps or wide brimmed hats? I typically only ever wear a ball cap when I’m wearing ear pro and want a brim (as when using small engine power tools, the range, etc.). And in Florida a watch cap is only needed rarely.

Tilley has 20% off all hats right now, FYI.

I have a T-shirt from each of the 26 Adirondack 90 miler races that I have been in, which were included in the race fee cost. Same for most other races where shirts are commonly offered. Cotton is ok and can be cooler in summer heat when it gets damp, but quck dry quality poly is often a better choice as a base layer in cooler temps. I also paid for the optional hat for most 90 races, with the exception of the couple of years when they offered the trucker's mesh style cap that I did not care for.

I do not like shirts that have large stiff platicized Applique emblems on the chest or back. Inked prints are ok and preferred. Otherwise, when I look for an outdoor or locale themed shirt to buy, I prefer a smallish emblem on one side of the upper chest only, as I do not want to look like a walking bilboard as an advertisement for some object or organization.

Last edited:
I agree on the plasticized printing, I don’t like them either. I too would not be interested in the mesh style hat. I’m pretty picky about hats. My wife and I were in a store one time and she kept putting different hats on me, all I rejected. She said ‘ your very picky’ I replied yes I am and I chose you. She never again called me picky or got frustrated if I didn’t like something.
Jim

This is the shirt I got when Doug was in charge. It’s a Haines shirt 100% cotton.View attachment 136023
View attachment 136024
Jim
I have one of those. Unfortunately, they ran small and made me look like an overstuffed sausage (the tan color didn't help.) If someone is interested, I'd be happy to send it to you for a freewill donation to canoetripping.net. You would have to be a medium.

Last edited:
Like @yknpdlr, I have a lot of race shirts, and like most everyone I have a lot of opinions about shirts.

One piece of site merch / schwague I'd like to see is a logo cotton bandana. Those have so many uses on the water and around camp: sun/bug shield boyscout style, hot pot holder, snot rag, fly swatter, not-so-sterile gauze, etc. Printed on beige stock with a birchbark motif they could look very nice. I'll bet they'd be way less of a hassle for the administrator than shirts: no sizes, small and easy to ship, etc. Seen on a portage they'd be distinctive.

I have big nose, so if possible I'd like to request a trapezoidal/fitted size XLT bandana in 7% bamboo microfiber ... if it's no trouble.

Plus 1 on large bandanna, not a snot rag sized one. 36 X 36inches (915 x 915 or larger, to be of many more uses, like the military’s shemagh or the Buckaroo’s Wild Rag.
I got a Big arse Hanky from someplace on the www. Works great soaked down with bug dope for keeping Deet off my tender hide.
I think the brownish tan color of the inside of canoe birch bark, with darker brown lenticels, bandanna would make a wonderful distinctive statement of being a canoe tripping.net forum member. Could also be dressed up with the somewhat obsolete neckerchief slide of your own handy craft.

Last edited:
Based on the information provided by goonstroke and BB I want to officially change my vote to bandana's as well.

Good call.

Like @yknpdlr, I have a lot of race shirts, and like most everyone I have a lot of opinions about shirts.

One piece of site merch / schwague I'd like to see is a logo cotton bandana. Those have so many uses on the water and around camp: sun/bug shield boyscout style, hot pot holder, snot rag, fly swatter, not-so-sterile gauze, etc. Printed on beige stock with a birchbark motif they could look very nice. I'll bet they'd be way less of a hassle for the administrator than shirts: no sizes, small and easy to ship, etc. Seen on a portage they'd be distinctive.

I have big nose, so if possible I'd like to request a trapezoidal/fitted size XLT bandana in 7% bamboo microfiber ... if it's no trouble.

I like this idea too! I always carry a bandanna for all the above reasons, and fondly recall the many Boy Scout first aid competitions where the triangular bandage was employed for stabilizing arms, ankles, head wounds, etc. Many uses indeed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back