• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

2023 Fund Drive Now On

Day 23 Cumulative Donations: 75
Target number of donations: 66
Members: 2,284
Views of this thread: 6,000+++

Nov. 23
Seeker

Hate to skew with the thread count tabulations Glenn but several thousand of those hits were me checking that my envelope arrived safely.
Gladdened to see the fundraiser is a success. All credit to you. Thanks for your leadership/stewardship.

Last edited:
Day 24 Cumulative Donations: 77
Views of this thread: 6,000++++

Nov. 24
Canoe Trip (chk)
Dogbrain

Hopefully some of those donations came from people who do not post much. If not, come on folks, you obviously get something from visiting this site. Help out a little to keep it going.

Day 25 Cumulative Donations: 79
Views of this thread: 6,000+++++

Nov. 25
Tryin’
Keagriver

Day 28 Cumulative Donations: 81
Members: 2,288
Views of this thread: 7,000+++

Nov. 28
Nomad (chk)
Keeled Over (chk)

Day 37 Cumulative Donations: 82
Members: 2,301
Views of this thread: 8,000+

Dec. 7
Dale

I thought we had petered out, but will of course accept donations at any time. Thanks, Dale!

Not bad, when can I expect my shirt 😁

There seemed to be serious interest in such a thing a while back to provide some income for the site, a discussion that I put on hold. Since my expertise is currently limited to herding cats, we'd need a volunteer to organize the manufacturing, ordering and distribution process for the shirts, hats or whatever. If anyone is interested in doing so, you can start a thread to discuss the project.

Are we good to go for a number of years?

Yes.

I've paid in advance all Xenforo license fees until August 23, 2027, and our domain name registration fees until July 23, 2028. Assuming service prices don't increase significantly, we have sufficient funds for our semi-annual webhosting fees for three years, plus enough to pay for some miscellaneous expenses and to keep a prudent reserve until autumn 2026.

Therefore, the next fund drive will begin on November 1, 2026. So, if everyone would stash away $15 USD a year for each of the next three years in their canoe packs, everyone should have at least $45 USD to contribute then for another three year life extension. I'd rather do this every three years than return to annual fund drives, or resort to becoming a fee-only site or a site with different-access membership tiers in order to raise money.

Thanks so much again to the 82 contributors who have kept this site financially solvent, for all the other members and lurkers, for three more years.

Therefore, the next fund drive will begin on November 1, 2026. So, if everyone would stash away $15 USD a year for each of the next three years in their canoe packs, everyone should have at least $45 USD to contribute then for another three year life extension. I'd rather do this every three years than return to annual fund drives, or resort to becoming a fee-only site or a site with different-access membership tiers in order to raise money.
Thanks Glenn, I'm going to stash mine in the secret compartment of my Tilley hat.:)

Thanks Glenn, I'm going to stash mine in the secret compartment of my Tilley hat.:)

That's a heady idea, Al, but be sure to give the Tilley to your wife on Nov. 1, 2026, because . . .

as I recall, it was her account that sent me the PayPal. ;)

While the fund drive has been over for a while, Robin today sent me a substantial donation simply because he was grateful that he had successfully used the site's Classifieds forum to quickly sell two canoes last week. He, of course, was one of the first to contribute during the actual fund raiser.

Since he and I have both administered this forum with its requirement to constantly hustle for funds, we both feel it would be a thoughtful gesture for folks who sell their canoes or related goods via our Classifieds to chip a few bucks from the proceeds into our kitty. After all, this site, unlike some other others, does not charge a fee to post a Classifieds listing, while reaching a very large market of open canoeists.

Thanks to Robin, and to all of you in advance for considering the idea.

Back